This what caused my brand new Inspire 1 v2 (2016 Spec) to crash
2729 32 2016-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John Anderson
lvl.1

South Africa

Be advised. There is what can only be discribed as a design flaw in the controller which allows for unprovoked jamming of the directional paddle full throttle reverse after you start up the blades. That's right, it just didn't return to center and when I lifed off I got watch my invstment fly 50km/h into a concrete wall just inches off the ground. Thanks DJI. <sarcasm>

2016-3-2
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

Did you calibrate your RC?
2016-3-2
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I am sorry John, But You NEVER should have your Thumbs and Or Fingers Off the sticks for safety ,  I have NEVER HEARD OF THIS,  did the sticks move freely when you bought it ? dont blame DJI  John  until you have proof of some design flaw. I am sorry for your Loss though.  Perhaps something broke off Internally and ""JAMMED" the sticks , Or foreign particle fell in from above jamming sticks ( Dirt, debris,?) or it was dropped .  Perhaps send into DJI for assesment.

Are you an experienced Pilot?

Sorry for your crash, - donnie

2016-3-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry for your crash. I'm not understanding what you are saying.
Are you saying that after you took off, the yaw/throttle stick got stuck in the full deflective position?
Please post a video of you moving the sticks on the controller so I can see what you are referring to.
2016-3-2
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Could you provide some more information?
2016-3-2
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

sorry for your crash.. but sounds like you was pushing both of the sticks up at the same time. Can we please take a look at your flight records
2016-3-2
Use props
John Anderson
lvl.1

South Africa

No, I was preparing to take off. I armed the rotors by bringing both controls down and inward. At this point the right control paddle remained full throttle reverse and did not spring back. I didn't notice this and lifted off with the left control at which point my Inspire 1 v2 went flying at maximum speed into a cement wall, just an inch or two off the ground. Full speed reverse.
2016-3-3
Use props
John Anderson
lvl.1

South Africa

Yes, I've flown a myriad of quadcopters.. this one was the most expensive and professional but I've had a lot of experience with the Phantom series. I call it a design flaw as that is my opinion. The controls moved freely, the controller was too new to say that dust built up to cause it to jam full throttle reverse. Last night I ordered little elastic dampeners, which should have come with the controller because I seriously doubt I'm the only one to have ever experienced this.

My error was not noticing that the control failed to center.. I admit my failure. It was a slight on my part but that's why I posed this as a SERIOUS warning to all. Please check your control stick has returned prior to take-off. It's not worth watching your investment impale itself into the first obstacle.

This is the flight data.. I took it up with broken blades afterwards just a foot or so off the ground afterwards. I'm still waiting on replacement blades and needed to change two componenets to the housing. I actually got off quite light considering the severity of the impact. I'm very happy with the quadcopter itself just the controller has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... mc/view?usp=sharing
2016-3-3
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

John, why on another Forum Thread did you say that "A part  came loose from the Storage Case and it Jammed  the Controller in the down Right Stick in the down  Position?  It is clearly not a design flaw if  you failed to inspect your equipment before takeoff.  I just dont like when people blame a companies design  when it is operator error.  Also how can it go full throttle Reverse if the Right Stick was jammed.  If the right stick was jammed down , nothing would have happened.  Until you hit full throttle ,  Do you always take off at full throttle Reverse.  

Why not just say, " Everyone be advised that if a foreign object lodges into the control sticks you may have a crash, boy i leaned a lesson to inspect my equipment before flying.  "  
That would have gained some respect and a useful post .

How can this be a design flaw?  And I never said that " Dust fell in the Transmitter".  My guess was an object got jammed in there .

2016-3-3
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

I agree with Donnie........Surely DJI can't be blamed for this accident.
2016-3-3
Use props
John Anderson
lvl.1

South Africa

Pro level controllers have brushes and measures in place to prevent dust or whatever particulate caused the right paddle to become jammed in the downward position. I never mentioned a 'part' coming lose or anything like that.

In total for the supporting equipment and registration of my aircraft with the civil aviation authority etc, I paid almost $7,000 for my setup. DJI could have provided a professional level controller or at least spend more time designing the one they ship out with the Inspire 1 v2. Donnie, I have not appeard on any other forum threads prior to this one.. go attack somoene else.

I've used hundreds of controllers, I've never seen a paddle fail to return to center position before.

No.. you're wrong. DJI have not put out a fantastic remote controller. Compared to the aircraft itself it's a piece of junk toy remote. I bought two of the damn things and don't trust either.
2016-3-8
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

you must be just unlucky....
I have 4 of them and never had an issue with any of them.
2016-3-8
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

John Anderson Posted at 2016-3-8 05:53
Pro level controllers have brushes and measures in place to prevent dust or whatever particulate cau ...

John you are a fibber,  Your Post was on this Forum, Just not on this thread  .  Dont take me for a Fool John .  Also just so you know , you can put your pointer over any one of the Forum members name and see there previous Post's.  That  Is How  I  Knew that a foreign object from your case fell in and caused the crash. ( You said this not me)

Unless there is another John Anderson From South Africa who happened to Smash his Quadcopter into the wall at full speed.......

Now I have a lot of John Smith's from South Africa say on the internet that they inherited  Ten million dollars and they are Royalty  and If i will only give them  Five thousand  dollars they will split the ten million  with me................

Good Grief, just give it a rest.  I am sorry for your crash, it happens.  
2016-3-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

John Anderson Posted at 2016-3-8 19:53
Pro level controllers have brushes and measures in place to prevent dust or whatever particulate cau ...

John,
I cannot see how you didn't notice that after you armed the motors and the fore/aft stick remained full aft. When you take off, I would think you know where the sticks are.
But I also see you said that you took the aircraft up with broken blades, I don't think you are flying safe. You should NEVER attempt to fly with a broken blade.

BUT, then I saw the other post what Donnie is referring to I do understand if the remote had an issue then why would you attempt to fly with it.

I believe you have crashed your Inspire and it's due to pilot error. I am sorry that you have crashed and I don't think it will be a warranty item. What you should have done after noticing an issue with the RC is to contact the support center. The RC has a one year warranty and they could have repaired it for you and possibly even under warranty if it was proven that it was a factory default.
2016-3-8
Use props
John Anderson
lvl.1

South Africa

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-8 18:49
John you are a fibber,  Your Post was on this Forum, Just not on this thread  .  Dont take me for ...

Quote the thread. I registered for this forum, it took 24 hours for registration to clear.. then I posted this thread.

How about you piss off.. go do something constructive. Idiot.
2016-3-9
Use props
John Anderson
lvl.1

South Africa

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-8 19:39
John,
I cannot see how you didn't notice that after you armed the motors and the fore/aft stick re ...

Yes it was pilot error. I did not keep my right hand on the control knob.. because, I had faith that it would return to center. Because, why the hell wouldn't it right?? Well it didn't.

So my warning stands. Do NOT trust DJI's sub-professional controller to perform the most basic of tasks. Warning, warning.. you have to visually double-check to ensure that the controller is doing what you asked it to.
2016-3-9
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

John Anderson Posted at 2016-3-9 04:21
Quote the thread. I registered for this forum, it took 24 hours for registration to clear.. then I ...

John dont get your broekie ( womens underwear)  in a knot, ask and you shall receive :

John Anderson Post:

"I crashed yesterday. It was horrific to watch. I started up as normal, only for some reason the controller paddle jammed full throttle reverse.. so when I lifted. Let's just say I flew at 50km/h into a cement wall mere inches off the ground. Turns out any particles that your case picks up etc. can become lodged in the controler and you too could watch your investment obliterate before your very" eyes.

I know, I know, it was not You, it was someone else using my account.

I am all done with you John this is stupid. Speaking of Stupid I think that will be your Que.........  But I am all done, Bye Bye
2016-3-9
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Ladies, Ladies!

You are both beautiful, now take your argument away and have it somewhere else.
No-one here is interested in petty squabbles.

OP, just raise a support case and get the Inspire fixed.
If they bill you then either pay it or don't, that's your business.

Again, no-one is interested.
2016-3-9
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-3-9 05:38
Ladies, Ladies!

Farnk666, I was asked a question , and it was answered.  I dont need Henry Kissinger to tell me to stop. I I know it's stupid. Crikey ! Your from Australia , you dont  take shit do Ya.   But I will end this because it is silly. No need to retort , I get it.

Thanks,  Donnie
2016-3-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

John Anderson Posted at 2016-3-9 18:25
Yes it was pilot error. I did not keep my right hand on the control knob.. because, I had faith th ...

John,
The RC is of extremely good quality, look at some of the other stuff out there and you can see.
And your warning to visually check to make sure the controller is doing what you ask it to. You are exactly correct and you that should be a part of your pre-flight checklist no matter what manufacture RC you have.
Again, I am sorry for your crash, these aircraft are full or technology that the operator needs to fully understand before they operate it by reading the manual and viewing the helpful tutorial videos.
And I am still trying to figure out why you were flying with broken propellers. In the future, even if you see a little scrape on a propeller it should be discarded. Even a tiny scrape that you think is nothing has probably degraded the integrity of the propeller. They are very inexpensive compared to the several thousand dollar aircraft that you are flying and it's depending on you to make sure everything is functioning properly.
2016-3-9
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

After reading donnies reply to your post I'm officially calling shenanigans on you!!! Nobody likes a fibber.
2016-3-9
Use props
I1ADDICT
lvl.2

United States

John Anderson Posted at 2016-3-8 04:53

Not ganging up on you, but if something prohibits the natural movement of the controller from an object getting wedged in there, how is that DJI's fault?  I've had cheap ones, and this controller is NOT cheap.  Now sure, it might not be a 700 or 1k controller, but it's a sweet controller that has not failed me one time.  
So sorry you had an issue, but I dust and polish all my stuff before every flight.  It's a major investment...so it's worth it to me.
Good luck.

2016-3-9
Use props
John Anderson
lvl.1

South Africa

I1ADDICT Posted at 2016-3-9 21:06
Not ganging up on you, but if something prohibits the natural movement of the controller from an ob ...

I tell you what, I spent more than $1k repairing the aircraft. You're fine with the controller. I find it cheap and unreliable. But don't get me wrong, I'm a huge DJI fan.. hellz, I have their very latest gear and am proud of it. I just think for the price of these controllers, we'd get a more military grade handset not this fake plastic silver Phantom 3 controller.

Your opinion... my opinion.

Literally, my ONLY gripe is the blasted controler. I'm not saying that it was dust, I'm saying it could have been dust. It could have been a rough plastic edge hooking on something I didn't open it up to investigate although I did almost throw it against the wall alongside my Inspire 1. No, I'm not a big fan of the Inspire 1 controller.. not by a long shot.
2016-3-14
Use props
John Anderson
lvl.1

South Africa

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-9 17:11
John,
The RC is of extremely good quality, look at some of the other stuff out there and you can s ...

I wanted to test that the gear was functioning and it wasn't as if I just flew.. no, I powered up and check that everything was normal and that the motors rotated. If not, the motors were damaged.. and luckily they weren't so I give it some power, tested the gear, landed and packed up. I knew what needed to be repaired so I went straight to the retailer at the mall near me that stocks all the parts.

Don't think I was being reckless.. no, I was expecting to go up 2 meters. Not full speed reverse into a wall. Afterwards I needed to know what was next, and I repaired the aircraft in the very shortest space of time. 3 days.. just the props needed to be ordered.

It doesn't fly better or worse than before.. it's exactly the same. Flight data is indistinguishable from before the crash. I must be doing something right after all.

If you think that the RC is extremely good quality then you're easily amused. It cost a lot of money, as did the aircraft and the five batteries and the gopro I strap to the wing. I want children to sing songs about the controllers that the Inspire 1 comes with and at the moment, no little village children will be singing any songs about it. Because it's a Phantom 3 controller. Not the Inspire 1 v2 (2016 spec) controller I was expecting, I believe my reaction was FFS.
2016-3-14
Use props
John Anderson
lvl.1

South Africa

R&amp;L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-9 18:35
After reading donnies reply to your post I'm officially calling shenanigans on you!!! Nobody likes a ...

I posted the telemetry, it stops abruptly after just a few seconds of flight at full throttle reverse at 0 altitude. What more do you a-holes want?
2016-3-14
Use props
John Anderson
lvl.1

South Africa

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-9 13:48
Farnk666, I was asked a question , and it was answered.  I dont need Henry Kissinger to tell me to  ...

I like my arguments here. I'd be highly offended if someone asked me to take my argument somewhere else after I expended soo much energy bringing it all the way up in here in the first place.
2016-3-14
Use props
John Anderson
lvl.1

South Africa

Machoman Posted at 2016-3-2 22:03
Did you calibrate your RC?

I did yes. Prior.

.. but the issue was mechanical in nature not a calibration issue. It was supposed to be a normal flight and would have been if not for mechanical malfunction. Whatever the cause of said malfunction may be. Similarly, the software could have refused to take off with the throttle full power reverse without a yes/no confirmation or something. I just don't see why I should take all or any of the blame.
2016-3-14
Use props
John Anderson
lvl.1

South Africa

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-8 19:39
John,
I cannot see how you didn't notice that after you armed the motors and the fore/aft stick re ...

You'll be surprised at how resilient and adaptive the flight software is.. you can carry loads, CREE lights, GoPros.. fly all of that crap into a tree and lose a whole motor and if you're lucky, you'll land it all safely. That's why you buy an Inspire 1.
2016-3-14
Use props
John Anderson
lvl.1

South Africa

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-9 13:34
John dont get your broekie ( womens underwear)  in a knot, ask and you shall receive :

John  ...

That's the original post. Yes, moments after logging in for the first time. I fail to see you point son. I'm a very busy man, the aerial drone division is just one of many many many divisions to my company. I don't have a whole lot of time for all the things that people like you seem to have the time for. You should try being more effective perhaps, nothing worse than a squandered life.
2016-3-14
Use props
John Anderson
lvl.1

South Africa

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-3-9 13:38
Ladies, Ladies!

It's long since been repaired. I've installed elastic dampeners to the controllers which prohibits this problem from ever resurfacing. I just thought you'd be pleased to know. No I bought mine from a local dealer who had stock, rather than waiting for one to be shipped from China. No, I wanted one.. the next day I had one.
2016-3-14
Use props
S.O.G.
New
United States

MY FRIEND.... PLEASE BE CAREFUL NOT TO BLAME DJI RIGHT OFF THE RIP....  MALFUNCTIONS HAPPEN AND YOU AS A PILOT MUST BE IN FULL CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE.  NOW YOU HAVE LEARNED FROM EXPERIENCE THAT YOU MUST NEVER TAKE YOUR THUMBS OFF THE CONTROLS.

DJI IS THE LEADER IN ADVANCING OUR COMMUNITY.  IF IT WAS THE FAULT OF DJI, THEN THEY WILL MAKE IT RIGHT, AS THEY ALWAYS DO.  BUT PLEASE DO NOT CALL DJI OUT IN PUBLIC, EVEN IF IT WAS A HARDWARE MALFUNCTION, AS YOU SUGGEST.  THIS IS 'OUR' COMPANY AND THEY WILL ALWAYS BE ON THE CUTTING EDGE OF DRONE TECHNOLOGY.  AND THEY MAKE IT AFFORDABLE FOR THE COMMUNITY.

THANK YOU FOR THE WARNING, AS THIS CAN HAPPEN TO ANOTHER PERSON IF THERE IS INDEED A DESIGN FLAW.  HOWEVER, ALL PILOTS MUST TAKE NOTE TO EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED AT ALL TIMES WHEN DRONE FLYING, AND ABOVE ALL ~~~ KEEP YOUR THUMBS ON THE CONTROLS FOREVERMORE!
2016-3-14
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

John Anderson Posted at 2016-3-14 20:35
I posted the telemetry, it stops abruptly after just a few seconds of flight at full throttle reve ...

A-holes? I'm not the one with several different versions of the same story.
2016-3-15
Use props
leo.s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 205696 ft
Italy

S.O.G. Posted at 2016-3-15 02:17
MY FRIEND.... PLEASE BE CAREFUL NOT TO BLAME DJI RIGHT OFF THE RIP....  MALFUNCTIONS HAPPEN AND YOU  ...

You have the caps lock locked!
2016-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules