Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Will Tapfly work without the controller?
2891 38 2016-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
devil5052
lvl.2

2. What is TapFly?
TapFly means you can fly in any direction with a tap of the finger, without a remote controller. With Obstacle Avoidance turned on, the aircraft will automatically avoid obstacles, slow down or hover when required, provided that the scene is bright enough ( < 300 lux) or too bright ( > 10,000 lux).

Can I use tapfly with just my Ipad and no contoller attached?

2016-3-2
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, using tap fly means you can control the flight direction on app by tapping on the screen, but the signal needs to be send out by the remote controller, so you need to connect the mobile device and the remote controller by the USB cable. Check on this video to learn about tap fly.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-44150-1-1.html
2016-3-2
Use props
devil5052
lvl.2

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-3 10:03
..... No, you cannot fly your drone without a remote.  Did you even read anything about this drone a ...

Can you read?

2. What is TapFly?
TapFly means you can fly in any direction with a tap of the finger, without a remote controller.
2016-3-2
Use props
devil5052
lvl.2

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-3 10:48
Like i said... Do some reading.

Some people can't even discuss a fun new drone without childish trolling.

Do some thinking and growing up.
2016-3-2
Use props
devil5052
lvl.2

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-3-3 10:12
Hi, using tap fly means you can control the flight direction on app by tapping on the screen, but th ...

Thanks DJI Amy
2016-3-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Lets play nice please,
Here's the verbiage from the product page.

TAPFLY

In TapFly mode, all you have to do to fly is tap on the screen of your smartphone or tablet. To change the direction of flight, you can simply tap the screen to fly anywhere. Flying using control sticks and maintaining altitude, course and speed can be challenging, so TapFly takes over all of these controls for you leaving you to focus on your shot. Using its Obstacle Sensing System, the Phantom 4 can fly places you might not have gone before, to create dynamic and inspiring footage.
2016-3-2
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

in all fairness reading that would lead me to believe I could disconnect the controller and just use the phone/device which you cant do
2016-3-3
Use props
duritsch22
lvl.2

United States

devil5052 Posted at 2016-3-3 10:59
Some people can't even discuss a fun new drone without childish trolling.

Do some thinking and gro ...

Yea, it's hard to come on this site when the TROLLS are bouncing from post to post.
2016-3-3
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

The object that the drone is following doesn't need any type of electronics on there person because the sensor keep track of the object. I think this is what your asking?
2016-3-3
Use props
devil5052
lvl.2

R&amp;L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-3 21:17
The object that the drone is following doesn't need any type of electronics on there person because  ...

I understand now but the DJI wording seems to say otherwise.....which is why I asked the question:

2. What is TapFly?
TapFly means you can fly in any direction with a tap of the finger, without a remote controller.
2016-3-3
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

devil5052 Posted at 2016-3-3 08:42
I understand now but the DJI wording seems to say otherwise.....which is why I asked the question: ...

It means without any physical input on the remote controller, like a one touch way point. You have to have the controller on and connected to you aircraft at all times.
2016-3-3
Use props
devil5052
lvl.2

United States

R&amp;L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-4 01:15
It means without any physical input on the remote controller, like a one touch way point. You have ...

Understood but poorly worded in the original DJI release.
2016-3-3
Use props
dustinjohn2
lvl.2

Flyin&#39;Bryan Posted at 2016-3-3 10:03
..... No, you cannot fly your drone without a remote.  Did you even read anything about this drone a ...

Do you make a habit of being a complete weirdo, and bashing innocent questions from people?  Come on, bro... get some counseling.  
2016-3-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

devil5052 Posted at 2016-3-3 21:42
I understand now but the DJI wording seems to say otherwise.....which is why I asked the question: ...

The app works through the USB cable to the remote and that's how app features using the touch screen send commands to the RC through the USB cable.
So, even though your not physically touching the controls on the RC, it's still needed as a bridge between the phone/tablet and aircraft.
2016-3-3
Use props
Old Geezer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23691 ft
United Kingdom

Dohhh and there was me thinking to had to tap the aircraft to get it to change direction in flight
2016-3-3
Use props
shayd93
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247306 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phone sends data to remote controller which then sends it to the aircraft, No you cannot control any of the quadcopter features without the controller being connected

KTHXBAI
2016-3-3
Use props
dustinjohn2
lvl.2

Flyin&#39;Bryan Posted at 2016-3-4 04:13
No, not usually. But I do make it a habit to not tolerate ignorance. People have no comprehension  ...

He was just asking, man.  I'm completely new to this hobby myself.
2016-3-3
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

Pot .....meet kettle!

I thought that the question wasn't out of arder at all since this whole thing is new to everyone.
2016-3-3
Use props
boxerman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft

I've been  practicing tapping on my iPad screen with no controller.  Although my controller is somewhere in a box with my P4 being shipped to me.  So....  practice makes ....
2016-3-3
Use props
devil5052
lvl.2

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-3 15:13
No, not usually. But I do make it a habit to not tolerate ignorance. People have no comprehension  ...

You may not tolerate what you consider ignorance while no one tolerates childish/nasty trolls who ruin forums with their nonsense.
2016-3-4
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

devil5052 Posted at 2016-3-4 08:40
You may not tolerate what you consider ignorance while no one tolerates childish/nasty trolls who r ...

You have to realize, many users here are very advance and very skilled.  Some have so much experience and have been helping so many new quad flyers that is has become very exhausting to hear questions asked that have been asked so many times before.
He is not trolling you, just very annoyed that DJI has already provided some great videos showing the new features, and other product reviews have shown these as well.
DJI has some very great videos that explain these features.

Now then, you should know that most all cases, yes you will need to have the controller with you.
Litchi has a features for the Phantom 3 to sync to phones and then you can do a follow me mode without the controller.

Phantom 4 has a new features called tracker, that would allow you to set down the controller, but note the range is limited to the distance between the controller and the bird so you cannot just go for miles on end thinking it will just stay by your side.

If you do not know that is fine, but do a youtube search and many answers will be there.  I would not try to insult the DJI masters, as they have a massive wealth of knowledge.
Another good resource is Toms Tech Time
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCULVibcmK8-TOoDBjevhAvQ
So in short, always be prepared to have your controller near you.  These new features are fantastic, but remember this is still very new technology to the comsumer market so do not assume they are 100% atonomous.  

2016-3-4
Use props
devil5052
lvl.2

United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-4 23:44
You have to realize, many users here are very advance and very skilled.  Some have so much experien ...

Understood about the exhaustion of helping people but if that's the case....step away from the computer and let someone else field the question.
To waste time with an angry response to a legitimate question about a brand new product IS trolling in my book , I'm sure it's unappreciated by DJI and was totally unnecessary.

I suggest going bowling if this become a chore.
(I'm a 70 year old retried federal agent and have little tolerance for internet tough guys!)
2016-3-4
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
United States

devil5052 Posted at 2016-3-4 12:13
Understood about the exhaustion of helping people but if that's the case....step away from the comp ...

Ah, Federal Agent, No wonder you two at at each other.  

Just realize, most answered questions here will be by owners of the Phantom line birds, so you might hit with sharp answers like look it up, or did you not read/research it before asking.

These folks are not getting paid to help others, nor are representatives of DJI so be prepared for that.
Just be happy you got an answer to your question and move on and to help you with other questions here are some search results to help you better understand the Phantom line.

Google Searching the DJI forum
Go to Google.com and add in site:forum.dji.com plus what you want to know

2016-3-4
Use props
devil5052
lvl.2

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-5 01:40
Ah, Federal Agent, No wonder you two at at each other.   

Just realize, most answered que ...

Of course I looked it up and found this:
2. What is TapFly?

I also own a P3A so I'm not totally unfamiliar with Phantoms.
My question was motivated by the DJI line above and the idea that perhaps DJI had made it easier for folks with Tapfly to only need their phone/Ipad and leave the bulky controller in the car.

Blade Chroma and Yuneec already have their Wizard mini.controler for just that reason.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/wizard-wand--chroma-blh8645
2016-3-4
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
United States

devil5052 Posted at 2016-3-4 12:55
Of course I looked it up and found this:
2. What is TapFly?
TapFly means you can fly in any directi ...

Ah, you should have started out your question about what you know and then asked the question.
That clears up everything.

From what I have seen with Lily drone and others as they have an extra device that allows a connection to follow the person without the controller.  
If you are interested in the Tap2Fly without having to hold the controller, you might want also consider setting up way points instead like used in the DJI go app and also in litchi if you wanted to lay out a course and not worry about having the controller around.
https://flylitchi.com/hub

I would not place much faith yet for the lock on target to follow and not lose sight without some electronic tether since the phantom 4 is using only optics and if the object is out of sight, it would just hover then RTH.

2016-3-4
Use props
devil5052
lvl.2

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-5 02:08
Ah, you should have started out your question about what you know and then asked the question.
Tha ...

I've seen a few videos and it does seem the P4 does have trouble tracking things that move quickly out of the 60* vision field.
They evidently just hover in place until they reaquire their target or are directed to pick a new one.It would be nice if DJI found a way to not have to have the controller and tablet with you all the time.......like the wizard does for the Blade Chroma.

2016-3-4
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
United States

devil5052 Posted at 2016-3-4 13:15
I've seen a few videos and it does seem the P4 does have trouble tracking things that move quickly  ...

If they also had an electronic watch based tether like the Lily Drone or others claim to have soon, I would be such a happy camper running away from the federal agents to my secret hideout all captured on Ariel film.
So do not place all your faith on optical based tracking.
2016-3-4
Use props
citivas
lvl.2

United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-4 10:22
Really? I 'ruined' the forum? Thats a bit of an overstatement to say the least. You have any idea  ...

The question was in the subject field. So if your objection was you had heard the question 500 times already, wouldn't the most efficient reaction had been to not open the topic and just moved on? Was the inconvenience of having to skim past the question in the forum home page so great that it warranted the extra time and trouble to click in and respond?  
2016-3-4
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-4 16:52
No because in this day and age of googling everything sometimes people need a little push to get o ...

This is gonna be good.

*** Grabs Popcorn
2016-3-4
Use props
devil5052
lvl.2

United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-5 05:52
No because in this day and age of googling everything sometimes people need a little push to get o ...

Why would anyone devote so much time and energy to prove they are a troll? Troll's fragile egos usually require them to have the last word .....so be my guest.

2016-3-4
Use props
duritsch22
lvl.2

United States

I think he's looking up TROLL on Google
2016-3-4
Use props
devil5052
lvl.2

Flyin&#39;Bryan Posted at 2016-3-5 09:09
Its pretty amusing that your calling me a troll, but you just cant help yourself replying to my po ...

It's "You're" not "Your" and I'm throwing you back to grow a little.

You picked on the wrong guy my little trolling friend.
2016-3-4
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

devil5052 Posted at 2016-3-4 12:13
Understood about the exhaustion of helping people but if that's the case....step away from the comp ...

A Fed? Thats nothing to brag about. The Feds are pretty much the enemy of the people. Thugs.
2016-3-4
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
United States

Oh hell! Elmer is in the house.
2016-3-4
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
United States

** grabs more popcorn.
2016-3-4
Use props
Rob_stal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1243038 ft
Australia

duritsch22@fuse Posted at 2016-3-4 00:08
Yea, it's hard to come on this site when the TROLLS are bouncing from post to post.

Calling someone or anyone who moves through the forum reading various different posts a Troll would be incorrect, by that statement alone you would be calling yourself and everyone else a Troll just because we enjoy reading various different posts.
2016-3-4
Use props
duritsch22
lvl.2

United States

I'm talking about  ( TROLLS ) moving through various posts and slamming people new the hobby for asking simple questions about the operation of the Phantom.  I'm new to this hobby myself but when I read a thread about a tech question and the OP gets shot down for asking is telling the OP and others to move on to another Forum.  I think we all know the manual is poorly written in some areas and to some, they fully understand and to others it's very confusing.  Calling any poster names and shouting them down because they asks a question about something they don't understand is wrong.  It's funny how brave TROLLS can be behind a keyboard.  
2016-3-5
Use props
devil5052
lvl.2

Elmer Fudd Posted at 2016-3-5 00:45
A Fed? Thats nothing to brag about. The Feds are pretty much the enemy of the people. Thugs.

If a loved one is ever kidnapped....call a plumber.
2016-3-5
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

devil5052 Posted at 2016-3-5 09:01
If a loved one is ever kidnapped....call a plumber.

Go to hell.
2016-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules