Phantom 3 tipped over and smoked two motors on first flight
12Next >
5107 43 2016-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jeffholly17
New

United States

I just purchased a phantom 3 pro.  Was exciting to try it so I got it all setup to fly its first flight in my living room.  Went up in air about 3 ft, came back down and landed safely went to go back up in the air and it tipped over, none of the blades were spinning but it was squeling like crazy.  Pulled down on the left control lever for it felt like a long time and nothing happened, then shut off batteries and still squeling and smoking, tipped it back over, still squeling just not as loud and smoking like crazy. It melted the two holders also so the motors are crooked. The two motors that burned up were the two that it was leaning on tipped over even though none of them were spinning.  So I don't know what is going on.  I calibrated the compass, I had like 12 satelites.  Was it messed up before I got it?? Is this covered in the warranty? I read somewhere someone said don't land it and let it idle and take off again. But is every time you tip it over it burns something up?  The only thing I can think of that I didn't do before takeoff was it said the firmware needed updated, I couldn't figure out how to do it so I figured I would just try it the next day.
2016-3-5
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

First off did you do the csc when you landed it or simply just held down the left stick. Holding the left stick should be the only way that you should shut off the motors when it's landed.
2016-3-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

He said he used the left stick.  It didn't shut down, maybe because it had tipped over.  If that was the case, CSC is the proper way to shut it down.
2016-3-5
Use props
jeffholly17
New

United States

Yes, just used the left stick and pulled straight down to try and shut off.
2016-3-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

jeffholly17 Posted at 2016-3-6 14:53
Yes, just used the left stick and pulled straight down to try and shut off.

That method only seems to work when it is upright. You should have used the CSC method, both sticks down and inwards, or outwards. This has been reported before, the important thing is to grab it and free the motors as quickly as possible. I doubt this would be covered under warranty.
2016-3-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

The Phantom would not have been sent to you "unsafe to fly" so suggesting the firmware needed updating by the controller is just a note that there is a newer version.

The issue you had, launching and landing, indoor or out is interesting for sure, if you had all the required sats etc. which your flight logs should verify should validate then that everything was o.k. or not to fly...the whole idea that you should not land and then take off again without stopping and restarting the motors is Bull Shite....It may be a requirement or recommendation but it should not be mandatory...It in my opinion is a flaw with the system....

I would definitely be calling customer support to see if this might be covered and i would as well be sure to familiarize myself with all the operational aspects of the craft before i fly again (not saying you were not but just sayin!!)_
Check these out.....http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid251592
2016-3-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-3-6 15:23
The Phantom would not have been sent to you "unsafe to fly" so suggesting the firmware needed updati ...

"the whole idea that you should not land and then take off again without stopping and restarting the motors is Bull Shite....It may be a requirement or recommendation but it should not be mandatory...It in my opinion is a flaw with the system...."

I don't believe it is a flaw in the system at all. The Phantom has a feature that causes the aircraft to hover when there is no control input, so if you land and then release the stick, the aircraft thinks it should be hovering in place, so it is making minute corrections to stabilise itself. You can test this out by putting it down on the ground and releasing the sticks, and you can hear the motors changing pitch.

As far as the aircraft is concerned, it has not landed, and knows no different until you shut down the motors. Then it considers it has landed.

Therefore, if you land, then lift off again, it may be in the course of making a small correction and the aircraft will not be balanced. This is why it often tips over the moment it leaves the ground.

2016-3-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-6 12:33
"the whole idea that you should not land and then take off again without stopping and restarting t ...
Edited....

i hear you but i don't agree that it is correct...If i have landed then i have landed ie.  touched down and am not moving...motors running or not...landed is landed...

i do not have to turn off my engine at a stop sign....it is stopped, does not have to be turned off to be stopped....
2016-3-5
Use props
arock387
lvl.2

When it flips over onto its props the best thing to do is CSC. BUT, the quad should have detected motor obstruction and stop?  Either mine automatically stops or my "oh crap" mode when I hear squealing is CSC
2016-3-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-3-6 15:37
Edited....

i hear you but i don't agree that it is correct...If i have landed then i have landed ie ...

That's OK, but I ask you this, how do you know you have landed? You know because it was your intention to land, and your eyes tell you it is sitting on the ground.

Now ask how the aircraft knows you have landed? The trouble is, it does not know. You simply descended then released the stick. That is exactly the same as simply losing height and going into a hover as far as the aircraft is concerned. It might be sitting on the ground, but it has no sensor to detect that. so it continues to try and balance the aircraft in a hover, and because the accuracy of the GPS system and the baromter is not great, it is still making small corrections to balance the aircraft.

If effect, pulling down on the left stick when landing tells the aircraft 'Finished With Engines', and it then knows not to bother maintaining a hover.

2016-3-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-6 13:00
That's OK, but I ask you this, how do you know you have landed? You know because it was your intent ...

I hear you again,
The IMU and Barometer should be able to detect no movement, yes/no?
Otherwise, DJI had better quit using words like "intelligent" in any way for any reason with the marketing of these drones then...Just sayin!...
2016-3-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-3-6 16:45
I hear you again,
The IMU and Barometer should be able to detect no movement, yes/no?
Otherwise,  ...

You might think so, but the barometer is not a particularly accurate device, it can vary by several feet in its determination of altitude, the same applies to real aircraft. And if you look at the IMU while your Phantom is sitting on the desk, you will see slight variations going on all the time.

The values would also be relatively stationary if the aircraft was hovering 6 feet off the ground in no wind conditions.

I might just turn the question around to you and ask, what do you want the aircraft to do once is has landed?

(This is turning into quite a valuable discussion.)
2016-3-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Sorry about your crash, follow the instructions on how to retrieve the DAT file of that flight and upload it to Dropbox and post a link here and I will have the flight analyzed. The DAT will tell exactly what happened, so if there was no user error than it should be repaired under warranty.
To get the DAT files you power up the aircraft, controller, app. Go into MC settings, then Advanced settings, then enter flight data mode, connect the Phantom to your home computer via USB post (on the aircraft, not the gimbal)
You'll hear the Phantom beeping and it won't stop until all the flight records are copied onto your computer.
Also, you said you calibrated the compass, did you do this inside as well?

2016-3-5
Use props
jeffholly17
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-6 14:10
Sorry about your crash, follow the instructions on how to retrieve the DAT file of that flight and u ...

Ok, great I will do that this afternoon.  I don't have time this morning.  
Yes I did do the compass calibration inside the house.
2016-3-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jeffholly17 Posted at 2016-3-6 21:44
Ok, great I will do that this afternoon.  I don't have time this morning.  
Yes I did do the compa ...

Reply to my post with the link when you get the DAT file.
And you should always calibrate the compass outside, inside the house there's too much metal around.
2016-3-6
Use props
jeffholly17
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-6 14:10
Sorry about your crash, follow the instructions on how to retrieve the DAT file of that flight and u ...

I connected the cord from the phantom to my computer and using the port on the phantom and not on the gimbal,  is it automatically saving the dat. file onto my computer somewhere? or am I suppose to open a program on my computer. my computer doesn't do anything when I plug in the usb.  On the app it says that you are in flight data mode and hook up your usb to the computer, so i do that, then the phantom starts beeping one beep then stops and keeps repeating that beep pattern.  
2016-3-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jeffholly17 Posted at 2016-3-7 06:00
I connected the cord from the phantom to my computer and using the port on the phantom and not on  ...

It should open a box on your computer. But can you look at the drives and look for the aircraft drive.
2016-3-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I was just watching this video clip, and the interesting part is what happens to a Phantom if you turn it upside down. One pair of motors are then running at full speed to try and flip the aircraft back up the right way. This would account for why two of your motors burnt out.

2016-3-6
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

100% pilot error for not using the CSC command and reading the manual till he memorized the basics. I will be shocked if DJI covers the motors cooking due to the pilot not doing the right emergency shut down.  This is why all new pilots should have 1 YEAR DJI Care Warranty Insurance, if any new pilots are reading this then get DJI care. Most think it's a ripoff till you crash and need it, even seasoned pilots should have some sort of insurance on you phantom.

I spent 20-40 hours of watching YouTube videos, read the manual 5 times and used the simulator in the DJI go app for a few hours before thinking of taking off,and I still watch videos daily to increase my knowledge on the hobby.  A Phantom is not a toy, IMO you should treat it like any other aircraft in the sky, that means a lot of training before flying, especially since I spent 1450$ Canadian plus tax for this thing.

2016-3-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I thought learning to fly well, while flying our cheaper drones was insurance enough. ;-)

Crashing, is learning too. Haha you'll know it, when you say to yourself, "I won't do that again"? That's a life lesson.

RedHotPoker
2016-3-6
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-3-6 19:20
I thought learning to fly well, while flying our cheaper drones was insurance enough. ;-)

Crashing, ...

IMO crashing to learn is not the right way, do it right the first time and learn everything before trying to fly and endager other people as even a small syma can do damage to a person.  
2016-3-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Not crashing to learn, learning to fly, but accidents happen. Yes, crashing is inevitable, & certainly not an if, but when.
I have micro drones, that wouldn't fare well in the outdoors. Those are my goto, flying lesson, learning drones.
I wouldn't ever consider learning to fly an RC helicopter, with my Align TRex 700E DFC HV, as a student learner model. Hahaha
Perhaps you would though? J/K

RedHotPoker
2016-3-6
Use props
jeffholly17
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-6 23:56
And you should always calibrate the comp ...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ikhgb ... STi3hWnre3Stfa?dl=0

Here is the link, let me know if this link works and what you find out, thanks so much
2016-3-7
Use props
jeffholly17
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-6 10:56
And you should always calibrate the comp ...

Have you been able to look at the file I sent you?
2016-3-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jeffholly17 Posted at 2016-3-8 22:33
Have you been able to look at the file I sent you?

I see there's a bunch of files, can you start a ticket and include only the last file with the crash on it.
The repair center will analyze the flight log.
http://www.dji.com/support
2016-3-8
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-6 04:33
"the whole idea that you should not land and then take off again without stopping and restarting t ...

This can't be true as the p3 has VPS and knows exactly where the ground is. Often on a manual land as I'm coming in carefully  my p3 has bounced up ( not due to turbilance as that buffering is different). I believe it's due to the VPS kicking in so no collision with the ground happens as in an auto land.

Like all tech that are mass produced there will be faults and if one motor or esc is faulty it can cause problems like the op had and definitely is covered by warranty. By DJI examining the black box and the motors they will tell what the issue was.
2016-3-8
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-6 05:00
That's OK, but I ask you this, how do you know you have landed? You know because it was your intent ...

Why does it have VPS then? And can self land?
2016-3-8
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Also I'm amazed that the p3 doesn't have an auto cut out on the esc when the props meet serious restriction. I'm stunned even as any decent esc will have this feature. There is another post on a similar line to this and so will watch both to see how DJI resolve this. I'm fed up of hearing sad endings on DJI repairs and support. Not that I've used it but who knows when parts can go faulty? In the tech world it happens all the time.
2016-3-8
Use props
tm0054
lvl.1

United States

The first time I took my Phantom out I landed it and took off again many times with no issue. I did not shut it down and restart it - it was running the whole time. I've heard it mentioned that it can tip in that case sometimes... But it definitely wasn't the case for me.
2016-3-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

tm0054 Posted at 2016-3-9 03:44
The first time I took my Phantom out I landed it and took off again many times with no issue. I did  ...

No, you can be lucky that it does not happen.
2016-3-8
Use props
Simmons
New

United States

Hello theven Jeff holly I also had this same problem with my phantom pro but I was out side when it happenend my motors started squealing and I tried everything to shut it off left stick down and csc I had to yank the battery out my motors also melted the plastic 2nd flight sucks man I almost cried lol to see my new phantom almost on fire but I guess I caught it before flames and my motors still run but are crooked if if it's covered or not I've been waiting to hear something from this post if I should send it back or buy new shell and motors also when my drone is on the ground and I turn it on it seems all my motors are spinning a diffrent speeds when I hit the right stick with out taking off I also did not upgrade firmware I still don't know which one to upgrade to or if I have to do it in order or just to the latest maybe some advice from yall
2017-1-5
Use props
timbo
lvl.2
United States

Simmons Posted at 2017-1-5 22:46
Hello theven Jeff holly I also had this same problem with my phantom pro but I was out side when it happenend my motors started squealing and I tried everything to shut it off left stick down and csc I had to yank the battery out my motors also melted the plastic 2nd flight sucks man I almost cried lol to see my new phantom almost on fire but I guess I caught it before flames and my motors still run but are crooked if if it's covered or not I've been waiting to hear something from this post if I should send it back or buy new shell and motors also when my drone is on the ground and I turn it on it seems all my motors are spinning a diffrent speeds when I hit the right stick with out taking off I also did not upgrade firmware I still don't know which one to upgrade to or if I have to do it in order or just to the latest maybe some advice from yall

I crashed mine a few months ago, it flipped over and I heard the motors squealing. The drone was about 50 feet away and by the time I got to it the motors cut off automatically. Only damage I had was to the props. Its weird that your motors did not cut off automatically.
2017-1-6
Use props
TCDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2710732 ft
Germany

Just my two cents but; I remember reading that during take off do not hesitate and get the bird up to 1 or 2 meters pretty quick as the wind from the props can get underneath the aircraft and cause it to flip over. Just a thought but makes perfect sense to me could be possibility?  
2017-1-6
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

TCDrone Posted at 2017-1-6 16:08
Just my two cents but; I remember reading that during take off do not hesitate and get the bird up to 1 or 2 meters pretty quick as the wind from the props can get underneath the aircraft and cause it to flip over. Just a thought but makes perfect sense to me could be possibility?

The same goes for landing, that's why you should stop the motors. Stopping the motors is the final signal to the aircraft that it is home.  RTH
2017-1-6
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

timbo Posted at 2017-1-6 08:34
I crashed mine a few months ago, it flipped over and I heard the motors squealing. The drone was about 50 feet away and by the time I got to it the motors cut off automatically. Only damage I had was to the props. Its weird that your motors did not cut off automatically.

Usually the failsafes work ..... but sometimes the sensors can be just at the wrong angle.
This is why they are considered failsafes.
This is why you never depend on sensors.... They are like a seatbelt in a car, they give you better odds but they still do not guarantee you will survive.  
2017-1-6
Use props
stefstaf
lvl.1

Greece

I had the same EXACT experience with my P3Adv. Tried to fly it indoors, hit the ceiling, bird dropped upside down, 2 rear motors squealing like crazy giving out smoke with a terrible smell.
Tried the left stick down and didn't work, then the CRC in both combinations and also didn't work. Finally I quickly removed the battery and I think I saved it because the bird is up and flying again with no (obvious) problems.
The reason I am bothering you with this is because I have a feeling that in my panic I didn't wait the whole 5 seconds that the CRC needs to shut down the motors.
Moreover, when you apply the CRC the motors spin a little faster, adding to my panic that I am doing a worst damage so I resorted to the final option of cutting off the power.
So keep in mind that CRC takes 5 seconds to activate, which is logical if you want to avoid mid-flight accidental shut-offs.
2017-1-8
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

stefstaf Posted at 2017-1-8 02:20
I had the same EXACT experience with my P3Adv. Tried to fly it indoors, hit the ceiling, bird dropped upside down, 2 rear motors squealing like crazy giving out smoke with a terrible smell.
Tried the left stick down and didn't work, then the CRC in both combinations and also didn't work. Finally I quickly removed the battery and I think I saved it because the bird is up and flying again with no (obvious) problems.
The reason I am bothering you with this is because I have a feeling that in my panic I didn't wait the whole 5 seconds that the CRC needs to shut down the motors.

CSC takes 3 seconds to activate since firmware 1.10.90.  Prior to this it took about a quarter of a second.
2017-1-8
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

And I understand that the newest firmware shortens it again.
2017-1-8
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-1-8 17:17
And I understand that the newest firmware shortens it again.

V1.10.0090 is the latest firmware on DJI's site, the CSC was increased to 3 sec.
  It sounds like #4 is referring to CSC

What’s New?
           4. Slowed motor stopping time to three seconds during flight.
2017-1-8
Use props
PartsGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 418346 ft
United States

I'm curious how you got 12 satellites indoors. Pretty much impossible.  
2017-1-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules