How to use Virtual Reality Goggles with your DJI Drone (Under 25$)
12Next >
125442 62 2016-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Buying FPV goggles can cost anywhere from $600 USD to $1000 and most of the time, using FPV goggles will not allow you to control the drone with your body motion like you can do by following this tutorial.

This is a cheap solution and are way more immersive than FPV goggles because you can move your body and head around and have the drone rotate and the camera move up and down in response to your body motion. It really feels as though you are up in the sky with the ability to move around in free space. All the 3D motions are available on both flying platforms, all phantom 3 models and the Inspire 1.

Where to get a VR headset:

You can get any VR headset on ebay. They go as cheap as 2$! My headset was 11$ including shipping. If you really want, you can spring for a higher quality headset from Samsung for 100$

Check headsets out here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xgoogle+cardboard.TRS0&_nkw=google+cardboard&_sacat=0

What else do you need?

The only thing you will need is an app from the Play store or App store called 3D FPV by Visual Vertigo. There are a few other apps but in my experience none of them work as well as 3D FPV. This one gives you an eye popping 3D effect when you fly sideways that makes cars and other objects pop out into your face...its so awesome!

IOS: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/ ... r/id1008155528?mt=8

Android: https://play.google.com/store/ap ... threedfpv&hl=en

The app goes for $20 USD but there is a less expensive option that lacks the 3D.

In my opinion, don't chicken out on the 3D, its really spectacular.

How to set it up:

Once you have the VR goggles and the app, start your remote, then aircraft. Plug in your device and launch the app. Make sure you are connected to the internet for first launch as the DJI SDK has to verify through DJI's server, usually in 3rd part apps.

Once you have video feed, click options and turn head tracking on. Make sure you calibrate the compass by flipping the function switch on the remote 6-9 times until the lights turn yellow on the aircraft.

Once you take off, put on your headset. (make sure you have a spotter)

You can toggle the C1 switch to view the camera on the phone so you know where you are stepping and C2 to take a 3D screen shot. To view aircraft stats, look into the sky or point your head up. For the best 3D, make sure you are flying sideways. When you are ready, switch your controller into F mode. Now you can move around and your aircraft will rotate with you as you move your body and you will be able to look up and down. Note that when in F mode, you wont be able to move that sticks until you switch out. However, CSC command will still work so be careful!

A short note:

Before you turn away, keep in mind that to get the same experience you would have to spend a minimum of $600 on cheap fpv goggles and $99 on the  HDMI module. With method, you get pretty much the same effect for way under 100$, more realistically, 25 or 30$. My setup was 31$ but that's because I went with a more expensive VR headset compared to what else was out there. After this experience, I'm going to definitely get the Samsung Oculous Rift.

You wont be disappointed!

Happy Flying!

Michael

-

More tips and tricks updated daily on http://skytopics.com/

2016-3-5
Use props
Gregory80
lvl.1

New Zealand

Does this work with the phantom 2?
2016-3-5
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

Gregory80 Posted at 2016-3-5 21:24

Not sure, let me check
2016-3-5
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

Gregory80 Posted at 2016-3-5 21:24

This app is compatible with the Phantom 3 Advanced, Phantom 3 Professional, Phantom 3 Standard, Phantom Vision 2 and Inspire 1.
2016-3-5
Use props
Gregory80
lvl.1

United States

Michael M Posted at 2016-3-6 00:26
This app is compatible with the Phantom 3 Advanced, Phantom 3 Professional, Phantom 3 Standard, Ph ...

Thanks for finding and posting all this.
2016-3-5
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

Gregory80 Posted at 2016-3-5 21:35

no prob, enjoy!
2016-3-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Gregory80 Posted at 2016-3-6 13:35

check this out, it works....

http://forum.dji.com/thread-43401-1-1.html
2016-3-5
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-3-5 21:50
check this out, it works....

yea, i plan on getting an oculous. its pretty cool stuff!
2016-3-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Michael M Posted at 2016-3-6 13:57
yea, i plan on getting an oculous. its pretty cool stuff!

This woks!

2016-3-5
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have looked into this for myself. The reviews are really bad! You seem to like it a lot. I have a Samsung S6 and Homido VR goggles. I use the Litchi App to fly because it is already set up to fly in VR. The ability to yaw the aircraft by turning your head is intriguing. Does this really work with the P3P. Another  concern I have is having the ability to view the aircraft stats as I fly. Does that work as well? I have contacted the company to see if they offer a money back guarantee if I was not satisfied. They have not replied yet. Any info you can give will be appreciated.

Tanx
2016-3-6
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

mjlstudios@yaho Posted at 2016-3-6 04:36
I have looked into this for myself. The reviews are really bad! You seem to like it a lot. I have a  ...

I actually emailed and asked the Dev the exact same questions. They said I don't like tit they would refund me. Or on android if you buy the app, you can refund it yourself within two hours of buying it. It works on the p3p but on android right now there is a problem for me at least when
Re it does not know where to turn. They just sent me an email in regards to my article and told me they are going to release a fix very soon. But otherwise it's pretty cool! I have not sued litchi
2016-3-6
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I purchased the app. then took my P3P out for a test run. It didn't work as advertised! P3P did not yaw as I turned my head as the add video shows. It only turned about 1/4 and caused my P3 to shutter. I could not fly the P3 as I used the app. It just stood still. I read the instruction before I tested the app. and performed the preflight check. I was not impressed at all with this app. They will refund the $20 I spent for it.
2016-3-6
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

@DJI-Tim and @DJI-Ken
2016-3-6
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

is this tutorial front page worthy?
2016-3-6
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Michael M Posted at 2016-3-7 02:36
is this tutorial front page worthy?

We are seeing some amazing things in the viewing industry shaping up, frankly IMHO, things like the Gear VR are literally only scracthing the surface, Several of the large Electronics manufacturers are actively working on projects for vastly improved experiences!.

If you look at the Avegant Glyphs https://www.avegant.com/
or Vuzix https://www.vuzix.com/
you will see where this tech is really going and it is moving quickly and as much as i would like a high end set of some of the other products out there, i do not need them today so will sit and watch this develop over the next 12-24 months and continue to use the Gear VR i have just for fun.....
2016-3-6
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

mjlstudios@yaho Posted at 2016-3-7 01:55
I purchased the app. then took my P3P out for a test run. It didn't work as advertised! P3P did not  ...

Hmm sorry to hear that. They are working on a fix for that when i spoke to them.
2016-3-6
Use props
FLYBIGSKY
lvl.2
United States

mjlstudios@yaho Posted at 2016-3-6 05:36
I have looked into this for myself. The reviews are really bad! You seem to like it a lot. I have a  ...

I really wish Litchi would pull their head out and fix their VR Mode so we can use iOs with it. I just wasted $15.00 to find out it doesn't work on my iPhone 6.
2016-3-7
Use props
FPV Booster
lvl.3

Hong Kong

FLYBIGSKY Posted at 2016-3-8 01:31
I really wish Litchi would pull their head out and fix their VR Mode so we can use iOs with it. I j ...

FPV Camera add-on (FPV Goggles) works on iPhone 6 http://fpvbooster.com/index.php? ... w=article&id=27
2016-3-9
Use props
Eagle14
lvl.1

Russia

Look at www.dreamflights.pro as well. The same as 3D FPV + joysticks and sound
2016-5-7
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

Hey, with the 3d Fpv app do you still get the split screen or will it look like one continuous screen?
Thanks
2016-5-9
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

rayrokni Posted at 2016-5-10 07:58
Hey, with the 3d Fpv app do you still get the split screen or will it look like one continuous scree ...

It's a split screen but when you put it in your goggles it turns into one screen. It's cool how our eyes work
2016-5-19
Use props
miki
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Micheal M. With all respect, the app you have recommended - "3D FPV - DJI Phantom + Inspire" seems to have the worst ever reviews....more than 53 one-star reviews (vs only 5 of five-stars reviews).
Hope DJI will come with something for VR. So far seems that only Litchi is working fine (and I use it happily).
2016-7-31
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

miki Posted at 2016-7-31 19:01
Micheal M. With all respect, the app you have recommended - "3D FPV - DJI Phantom + Inspire" seems t ...

Ive read all of those reviews and im not sure why people are so negative toward it because its been working great on my galaxy s6
2016-7-31
Use props
interceptorx5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 397 ft
Australia

Michael M Posted at 2016-8-1 08:42
Ive read all of those reviews and im not sure why people are so negative toward it because its bee ...

I want to get into this but there are two reservations I have as follows:-

1, Focus issues with my older eyes - is the any/sufficient adjustment for this?.

2, I would want to use the Lichi app but I cannot seem to find a description of what is in the OSD especially
    how/where the home point is seen on the screen.

Any help apprecieated  
2016-7-31
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

interceptorx5 Posted at 2016-8-1 09:21

1, Focus issues with m ...

Im not sure about litchi, I dont use it. The 3d fpv app has telemetry but I dont know how much. Its been a while since ive used it. Not sure if it has home point telemetry. i would look at the sreen shots on the app store or contact the dev. Focus is mainly on your goggles so get some where you can adjust it but I dont think you will need it. mine work fine without any focusing.

If you dont like the app, you can always request a refund within 2 hours of purchasing it on the play store. Not sure about the app store
2016-7-31
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

interceptorx5 Posted at 2016-8-1 09:21

1, Focus issues with m ...

Im not sure about litchi, I dont use it. The 3d fpv app has telemetry but I dont know how much. Its been a while since ive used it. Not sure if it has home point telemetry. i would look at the sreen shots on the app store or contact the dev. Focus is mainly on your goggles so get some where you can adjust it but I dont think you will need it. mine work fine without any focusing.

If you dont like the app, you can always request a refund within 2 hours of purchasing it on the play store. Not sure about the app store
2016-7-31
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

oh yea,you can crop the image in app
2016-7-31
Use props
interceptorx5
lvl.3
Australia

Michael M Posted at 2016-8-1 10:45
Im not sure about litchi, I dont use it. The 3d fpv app has telemetry but I dont know how much. It ...

Thanyou for your reply,,, I will look into it further
2016-7-31
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

interceptorx5 Posted at 2016-8-1 15:06
Thanyou for your reply,,, I will look into it further

Cool let me know
2016-7-31
Use props
jhopper9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 381355 ft
United States

I just got the Blitzwolf VR Glasses and did my 1st fright with the Litchi app.  I read all the new version (Litchi) user manual and it was quite simple.  My 64 yr old eye were able to focus with little problem.  It's truly amazing, whatever way you move your head, left/right, up/down, my P3Adv/camera follow.  My only concern is that will flying I began to notice 2 little yellow dots equally spaced on my iPhone 6Plus screen.  Those dots where never there before, but I can't image how they could have gotten burned into the screen after only 10 minutes of flying????  Has anyone else encountered a similar screen issue??
2016-8-3
Use props
interceptorx5
lvl.3
Australia

jhopper9 Posted at 2016-8-4 04:34
I just got the Blitzwolf VR Glasses and did my 1st fright with the Litchi app.  I read all the new v ...

Hi jhopper9,

I am very interested in getting the Blitzwolf vr Glasses so could you help me with some advice.

1, Was you able to get perfect focus,,, I have 69 year old eyes.

2, I am a little confused as to the procedure to get them up & running so am I right in that you install Litchi on your phone. You put your phone into the Blitzwolf with the USB cable going to the RC unit. You start the app,,, focus in, Press the Goggles on the app start the Phantom and that is it.

When flying FPV what indicator on the screen shows where you are and how to get back to your home point.

Thanks for the help
2016-8-3
Use props
jhopper9
lvl.2
United States

interceptorx5 Posted at 2016-8-3 19:50
Hi jhopper9,

I am very interested in getting the Blitzwolf vr Glasses so could you help me with so ...

I'll try to respond to each question, but the best way to describe the overall experience is that the view through the VR glasses replicates what would normally see through the smartphone/tablet attached to the RC during flight.  Since I primarily fly during the day, the sun washes out the view of the screen even when using a sunscreen.  With the VR glasses that's issue goes away.

My 64 yr old eyes are fairly good except for reading, I'm now using 225 reading glasses, but the focus adjustment work well for me.

You must use the Litchi apps FPV (First Person View) feature, which splits the screen on your smart phone into two (close to identical) views, left and right.  You mount the smartphone into the VR glasses, attach the USB to the phone and to the RC, just like you do without the VR glasses.  The next step is to launch your phantom a few feet off the ground (I do it manually) and then put on the glasses and you see what the camera see's.  Depending on how you set up the glasses, I uses Interpolate and my head now controls the camera/phantom view be tilting my head left and right, up and down, I really freaked out when I saw how much control you have and how much easier it is to control the phantom.  All other control's, height up/down, speed/direction, are controlled by the joysticks just like you do without the glasses.

I highly recommend the BitzWolf VR glasses.  I hope this help
2016-8-5
Use props
interceptorx5
lvl.3
Australia

jhopper9 Posted at 2016-8-6 01:00
I'll try to respond to each question, but the best way to describe the overall experience is that  ...

Hi jhopper9,

Thank you for you very detailed explanation. I will order the Blitzwolf VR glasses now and sort out the Litchi app when they arrive.

Please can you tell me when using the goggles what indicator is on the FPV screen to show where & how to return to where you are physically, like a radar etc.   
2016-8-6
Use props
jhopper9
lvl.2
United States

interceptorx5 Posted at 2016-8-6 07:44
Hi jhopper9,

Thank you for you very detailed explanation. I will order the Blitzwolf VR glasses n ...

The OSD (on screen display) offer a "floating" view of the aircrafts Altitude, Distance between Home and Aircraft, Speed, Satellite count, Battery life remaining, Recording Video, graphic view of the Aircraft heading relative to Home.
2016-8-8
Use props
interceptorx5
lvl.3
Australia

jhopper9 Posted at 2016-8-9 02:22
The OSD (on screen display) offer a "floating" view of the aircrafts Altitude, Distance between Ho ...

cheers mate,
When the Blitzwolf arrives I will then get the Litchi
2016-8-10
Use props
dreamflights
lvl.1

Russia

Try www.dreamflights.pro - the same as 3D FPV and Litchi plus:
- headtracking (by tilting and rotating your head/body) control of the drone by all 4 axes (pitch, roll, yaw and throttle) in 4 different "VR modes"
- dedicated graphical OSD for speeds, heading and heading to home point
- simulated wind sounds
- and more
iOS and Android versions are available

Augmented Reality Home point and POI beacons, tracing and even DRAW ON THE SKY (iOS version only)
The price now is about $13/$18 for Android/iOS respectively. Free versions are available as well.
2016-9-4
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

dreamflights Posted at 2016-9-4 12:28
Try www.dreamflights.pro - the same as 3D FPV plus:
- headtracking (by tilting and rotating your hea ...

Don't forget the ridiculous price tag!
2016-9-4
Use props
willem
lvl.1

Canada

jhopper9 Posted at 2016-8-4 04:34
I just got the Blitzwolf VR Glasses and did my 1st fright with the Litchi app.  I read all the new v ...

Ok well that confirms it.  This happened to my iphone 6.  The two yellow dots are not permanently burned into the LCD.  I was using FPV Camera for DJI app.  This really sucks.  I wanted to sell my iphone 6 to upgrade to an iphone 7 but now will lose return investment as these little yellow dots are not something one can easily ignore.

Yellow burned in dots

Yellow burned in dots
2016-9-10
Use props
jhopper9
lvl.2
United States

willem@pcfish.c Posted at 2016-9-10 17:30
Ok well that confirms it.  This happened to my iphone 6.  The two yellow dots are not permanently b ...

I can't believe we're the only two that have had this happen to our iPhone 6's?  Please reply if this has also happen to your smartphone.
2016-9-12
Use props
odontologo98
lvl.1

Brazil

hi guys,
My drone vr app It is failing, image not appear .I have black screen..I select headtracker off but the camera does not stop..I uninstall and installed several times but the problem continues.Without image.
drone VR is DJI app ?
2016-10-1
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules