P2 flyaway saved
1364 10 2016-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mstrtf
lvl.1

South Africa

About 30secs into flight p2 lights went red. I landed it. Switched off and recalibrated.
2. Took off again. About 2min into the flight unit suddely rolled left and was heading left at seemingly full speed.
3.i switched to atti mode nothing happened and back to gos mode
4. I countered the left roll with the remote and it evened it out a bit. Was still heading left but at a much slower rate.
5. I managed to get it back home by constantly fighting the left roll with my transmitter.
It was horribly stressfull. Anyone know why this happened. I dissasembled it and inspected everything. And flew it afterwards for 20mins without problems

2016-3-6
Use props
mstrtf.gmail
lvl.1

South Africa

video of incident
please tell me what happened
2016-3-7
Use props
mstrtf.gmail
lvl.1

South Africa

checking out the footage it was fighting to fly west (im in south africa, pretoria,baviaanspoort road) so it was heading to south america, not china as people always claim.. could it be a faulty gyroscope or something like that?
2016-3-7
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Might be compass error of IMU issue, i'd recommend to calibrate it before getting in the air again.  anyways i'm glad you saved it.
2016-3-7
Use props
mstrtf.gmail
lvl.1

South Africa

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-7 13:25
Might be compass error of IMU issue, i'd recommend to calibrate it before getting in the air again.  ...

dji tim, im checking the IMU and everything is perfect there. also compass seems perfect. so there must be something else? is there any way i can continue using this unit without risking losing it/causing damage to person or property?
2016-3-7
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

If all calibrations were good on the P2, maybe it's an RC problem, did you check the calibration on the RC?
2016-3-7
Use props
mstrtf.gmail
lvl.1

South Africa

yup, RC is perfectly calibrated aswell. i just did a short 4min flight this morning to test systems and everything is working. i did not change anything or any calibration
my concern is what happens if this happens randomly again and damage person or property sucks having to be afraid to fly your expensive equipment
2016-3-7
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

mstrtf.gmail Posted at 2016-3-7 21:56
yup, RC is perfectly calibrated aswell. i just did a short 4min flight this morning to test systems  ...

Can't guess...  I only can recommend you to  do all kind of calibration at this point
2016-3-7
Use props
mstrtf.gmail
lvl.1

South Africa

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-8 06:31
Can't guess...  I only can recommend you to  do all kind of calibration at this point

well thats a terrible answer? perhaps i should just insist on a new one
2016-3-7
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

mstrtf.gmail Posted at 2016-3-8 14:44
well thats a terrible answer? perhaps i should just insist on a new one

I'm sorry for your frustration. i'd also recommend you to do a cold IMU calibration,  It's pretty much the same process as a usual calibration but first you have to keep your drone on the fridge for 30 min.  It will help you to calibrate it more precisely  
2016-3-7
Use props
mstrtf.gmail
lvl.1

South Africa

im going to do that, but tell me, what happens if this happens again and i dont get to navigate her back home? what if it goes crashing into a tree or fly's away? does DJI cover that?
or what if worst case scenario it injures someone?
im not saying it will happen, since i did two 20 min flights last night over a large open sports field and everything was perfect. did some manouvres and also took some great high speed flight videos. but this almost fly away incident keeps haunting me in the back of my mind. i need to go film a running event in two weeks with 20 000 people and if something like this happens i might hurt someone
2016-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules