Utilizing PFV Goggles with Integrated Camera on Phantom Vision
10357 10 2015-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
crash015
New

United States

Okay so I do not currently own a Phantom drone but am asking questions because I will in the near future and need to figure out which one I want to get. Phantom 2 then get Gopro and PFV goggles later OR get the Phantom 2 Vision and see if I can utilize the itergrated camera with PFV goggles and save myself from having to buy a Gopro

So...Is this possible? Utilizing the integrated camera that comes with the Phantom 2 Vision, can I use fpv goggles? I would like to not add another camera to the drone in order to keep weight down.

Thank you for your advice and opinions.
2015-1-8
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

Perhaps this might interest you, another clip from Simons kitchen table:

Goggles from Epson with built in android running the vision app. Looks cool but $$$

2015-1-8
Use props
crash015
New

United States

Great video. So I guess there's no other way such as this video that plugged into a Phantom Vision Plus and the Gopro camera.
Video:

I am pretty set on a DJI Phantom 2 as my drone of choice, but now its down to deciding between the models.
2015-1-8
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

I chose the phantom 2 (non vision) with a gopro for several reasons. Hooking up a FPV transmitter, iOSD and H3-3D gimbal is pretty easy. From there you can mod your FPV with fat shark goggles or just a FPV monitor. A  lot more capabilities for modification and range. Besides, The Gopro can also be taken off the quad and be used elsewhere. The vision camera will stay on the phantom. Can't compare, but the GoPro is sayd to have a better picture. If you choose a Vision, go for the Vision+  with a 3-axis Camera stabilization gimbal and better wifi connection.
2015-1-8
Use props
crash015
New

United States

That is what I was leaning towards due to cost issues as well. Is the only main difference between the Phantom 2 and the Vison the camera or are there other differences? Does the Phantom 2 come with the wifi repeater as well, harder to gly, gps lock, return to home, range? I tried the compare feature on DJI site between the 2 and most is the same, but would like to know from a user perspective rather than manufacturer perspective.
2015-1-8
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

you can't use wifi/Bloototh on a non vision phantom - might say good bye to you and take off.

Phantom non vision
- 2.4 GHz transmitter
- FPV with FPV monitor or goggles (with 400/600mW = range, range, range)
- GoPro (with gimbal - recommended)

Phantom vision
- 5.8 GHz transmitter
- FPV with ground station app on tablet or smartphone (wifi)
- no GoPro, only phantom camera
- wifi repeater is to be purchased in adittion
- a plus, with the groundstation app you can set waypoints and let it be a drone

Those are the main differences, hope I din't forget anything important.
2015-1-8
Use props
crash015
New

United States

Ohhh, so the Phantom 2 is not wifi. I don't think I like that, so the range isn't very good from drone to transmitter then? I'm sorry for all the questions, but articles and youtube videos don't go in depth about this stuff! I thought the Phantom 2 had wifi and wifi repeater! I will be using this drone for my outdoor activities such as rock climbing, disc golf, archery shooting, and most importantly hunting- to scout for deer! I really appreciate all the help though!
2015-1-8
Use props
rubenmail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1808064 ft
  • >>>
Norway

markus2015 Posted at 2015-1-9 03:51
I chose the phantom 2 (non vision) with a gopro for several reasons. Hooking up a FPV transmitter, i ...

I use FatShark on both Phantom 2 and S900.
On the S900 I so far have used a "dual way" as im Using Lightbridge that uses 2.4 and sends to my HDMI screen or my Iphone/iPad and the FatShark TX is 5.8 but had to make my own cables for this.

Im not 100% with FatShark but also tried the carl zeiss that I to my surprise found to be less good in my opinion.  There is so much new and exciting goggles coming on the market and other like FatShark is upgrading their gear.

On the Phantom 2 with GoPro and the S900 that has Zenmuse and Sony Nex I use this camera feeds and not the camera that came with the FatShark gear. I tried it out on other rigs to before and found it never to give the quality I wanted. If you fly in open areas its ok bit if you need to navigate within trees, see powerlines on the screen"s" then the small camera just dont cut it.

Also want to say Googles are great and have many good usage. Then again its some points you need to consider and that is that even if you fly where you always see your drone as you should. If something happen you take your hands of the Radio and pull of the googles.

Here I lined up for one transition up and over the small town center. Im here standing to the left and could see the place I was to fly and had done several test flights and even had one as lookout so no people or cars should come and be in "danger". Just as I come in bellow the tree tops I lost signal even as it was only 50 meters and nothing in between. There was no time to take of the google I just had to remember the previous flights and pull up before the cable as if I had gone under I would not know how far I be and could have went into the trees.

Since then I only use googles where I have open fields or landscapes and to get a better feeling of what the result will be from the filming. And I also use it less and less due to the extra hassle.  Lazy comes first :-)

I hope you find your solution and be happy with it!!
2015-1-8
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

I might have got you mixed up a bit. The phantom 2 (non vision) should not be flown with a gopro camera with wifi on the camera switched on. The wifi (2.4 GHz) might interfere with your transmitter (remote control) signal (also 2.4 GHz) and cause an uncontrollable flyaway. The FPV transmitters for these non-visions use 5.8 GHz. With the stock DJI transmitter (remote control) you should be able to fly your phantom 1,5-2 km away before you lose signal and it enters the "Return to home" mode.

The Phantom Vision on the other hand, uses 5.8 GHz for the remote control and 2.4 GHz for connecting to the vision app (FPV) using wifi. You will then also need a wifi range extender to get video signal further away.

PS. using it for hunting is a good thing for the animals. They will hear the copter long before you spot them and run like hell
Sorry for this comment! I'm not here to tell anybody what to do or not to do, Hunting is just not my thing.

Anyway, hope this post helps a bit.
2015-1-8
Use props
crash015
New

United States

Thanks guys! This all helped a bunch!
2015-1-9
Use props
palmerguy06
lvl.1

United States

so im a little confused . im a noobie . i have the vision + 2 and i want to hook a fatshark prediter v2 to it. just velcroing the fatshark camera to the front and using the stock vision + 2  camera for filming. Can i plug the fat shark into the heli for power like they do on the (non vision?) also will the fat shark cause a uncontrollable flyaway on the vision plus 2 even if i calibrate it before take off?
2015-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules