Will full throttle down in flight turn off the motors?
5710 18 2015-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
indo583
New

United States

I have the phantom vision 2 plus V3.0. If you pull the throttle on the transmitter all the way down it clicks and locks into place. If you were to do this in flight, will the motors shut off, or will they only shut off when it is on the ground? All the instructions say to decend slowly, and I know that when it is on the ground if you hold the throttle down, the engines shut off, but I havent been able to find anything that tells me if that can happen while it is in flight, and I've been too scared to test it.
2015-1-8
Use props
drone
lvl.4

United States

They will shut off in flight! There is a video on Youtube where a guy shut-off his motors so he could free fall to help get is bird down from 6,000 feet faster as his was running out of battery power. His able to restart and recover but still crashed later because he ran out of power.

When the motors shut off they fall quickly like a rock. I do not recommend to test it.
2015-1-8
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... amp;page=1#pid27615
2015-1-8
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

drone@jatobserv Posted at 2015-1-9 03:49
They will shut off in flight! There is a video on Youtube where a guy shut-off his motors so he coul ...

Did he do cross sticks or throttle fully down for 3 seconds ?
2015-1-8
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

Thanks tonyphantom147  - Case closed!

@drone, indo583 meant just to hold the throttle stick down, not CSC (with both sticks).
2015-1-8
Use props
Pmcdn2014
lvl.2
Flight distance : 772959 ft
United States

markus2015 Posted at 2015-1-9 03:58
Thanks tonyphantom147  - Case closed!

@drone, indo583 meant just to hold the throttle stick down, n ...

And yet on the DJI website regarding the new Phantom 2 vision Plus controller it states this (lifted directly from the site):  

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus/feature    "The upgraded remote control comes with many new features. A gimbal control dial, trainer port, built-in rechargeable LiPo battery with a capacity of 2000mAh, battery level LED indicators and throttle locking feature that holds the throttle stick in place when descending are all included. The new remote control is compatible with the Phantom 2 Vision+ and Phantom 2."

So, apparently this is either not SUPPOSED to be what happens or there is a serious misprint in their description of the remote control.
2015-1-8
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

Pmcdn2014 Posted at 2015-1-9 04:09
And yet on the DJI website regarding the new Phantom 2 vision Plus controller it states this (lifte ...

No, no misprint. It says that the throttle stick gets hold in place when you let go of it, but it does not say that the motors will power off during decent. ONLY if the phantom does not decend any more for longer than 3 seconds, i.e. it has landed.
2015-1-8
Use props
BWJ
Second Officer

Denmark

markus2015 Posted at 2015-1-9 04:16
No, no misprint. It says that the throttle stick gets hold in place when you let go of it, but it  ...

Precisely
2015-1-8
Use props
indo583
New

United States

Awesome, thanks for the clarification,  I kind of assumed that was the case, it would be stupid to have a throttle locking feature if it shut off your motors in flight, but I wasnt going to test it without knowing for sure.
2015-1-8
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

this is great info.  i was wondering how it knew the difference between throttle down IN FLIGHT and throttle down ON THE GROUND.  having 3 secs of NO DESCENT makes perfect sense.  in fact, i love gerry's recommendation (in the other thread) about holding it down for the 3 secs while catching it.  i have been wanting to catch instead of land (because the CSC SOMETIMES makes it want to flip on its side because before you make it to the CSC position, it thinks you are still doing a 'hard roll and yaw' steering maneuver) and i didnt understand how i am supposed to catch it with one hand while doing the CSC with the other.  seems like i dont want to grab the legs and such, but i think ill try gerry's suggestion and see how that works.  love the discussions on these boards guys, im learning stuff every day.  preesh.
what would be wonderful is someone to film (3rd person not via phantom cam) them catching their phantom.  i'd love to see that to see the best way to grip/hold while doing it.
2015-1-8
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-9 04:54
this is great info.  i was wondering how it knew the difference between throttle down IN FLIGHT and  ...

Here is a vid on how to do it

Here is a vid of how NOT to do it, especially with carbon fiber blades https://www.youtube.com/v/ji3Hii_LZOc (Viewer discretion advised!)
2015-1-8
Use props
drone
lvl.4

United States

Ouch. I never tried to hand catch mine. I always land.
2015-1-8
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

awesome thanks.  as for the other one, if the non-carbon blades could do that to me, i think id rather take the chance of a flip.  didnt realize it would eff me up that bad.  not even sure i want to catch it now :|
2015-1-8
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-9 05:38
awesome thanks.  as for the other one, if the non-carbon blades could do that to me, i think id rath ...

I haven't ever seen a clip with injuries resulting from the stock plastik props, only minor scraches. Learning how to hand-cach may be important, sometimes you might have to do that, perhaps on landings with wind. If you take it slow, always concentrate and catch properly, all should go well.

Thumbs up (but now while catching ;-)
2015-1-8
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

markus2015 Posted at 2015-1-9 05:05
Here is a vid on how to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IECm1f3BJg

Here is a vid of how NO ...

Don't think I will ever hand catch, that could of been your eyes. Just not worth the risk. I also fly 550 helicopter CF blade. saw a youtube vid same heli, nearly  severed someone's leg off after bad landing.
2015-1-8
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Let the Phantom stabilize in position before you reach to grab 1 leg firmly, then move the throttle stick in the down position while holding it in the same position or tilting a little away from you so the blades will not make mince meat of your arm.
2015-1-8
Use props
Pmcdn2014
lvl.2
Flight distance : 772959 ft
United States

That's what's nice about the locking throttle stick.  I descend to where the bottom of the skids (feet) are just above eye level and let it hover there while I walk up and reach out with my right hand to grab the leg of the Phantom.  With the remote control in my left hand (on end of lanyard around my neck) I pull the left stick back to the locking position and wait for the motors to shutoff.  

That's the only thing I use the locking stick for.   Works great!
2015-1-8
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer
United States

I'd practice with really thick glove and sleeves!  Ouch!  
2015-1-8
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

I have had mine for 5 days now and have not flown due to weather. I enjoy all the info that people post. I am trying to learn all I can and ask questions without being too much of a pest. I have flown R/C airplanes for 43 years and I am on a new learning curve. Though I do know you can't dead stick a Phantom.
2015-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules