3205 17 2016-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HyRoProductions
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3251 ft
United States

Hi all,

What do people use for the device to connect to a remote controller?

I have LG Optimus G Pro E980 and it is too small and doesn't fit.
2016-3-7
Use props
P3_Nutz
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Ipad air 2
2016-3-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would say for everyday use I like my iPad Mini 3. I also have an iPad Air and a NVIDIA Shield.
2016-3-7
Use props
salvosky
lvl.1
Flight distance : 120253 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-7 16:00
I would say for everyday use I like my iPad Mini 3. I also have an iPad Air and a NVIDIA Shield.

I just ordered the Phantom 4, its my first DJI drone. So the iPad Air 2 will fit in the remote control holder? Do you prefer using your iPad mini more? I'm trying to decide what would be best.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
2016-3-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

salvosky Posted at 2016-3-8 10:59
I just ordered the Phantom 4, its my first DJI drone. So the iPad Air 2 will fit in the remote con ...

There is an equal split between the Mini 2 and the Air 2, both work very well. I prefer the Air 2 because of the bigger screen and long running time.

The holder on the RC unit that comes with the kit is OK, but I (and many others) bought the mounting bracket for rthe Inspire and changed them because it is a sturdy metal mount as against the plastic one supplied. However it might be worth waiting to see if the P4 comes with the better metal mount first.
2016-3-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

salvosky Posted at 2016-3-8 07:59
I just ordered the Phantom 4, its my first DJI drone. So the iPad Air 2 will fit in the remote con ...

Yes the Air2 will fit in the holder. And I equally use both the Air and Mini.
2016-3-7
Use props
leorvasquez
lvl.2

I bought my Phantom 3 Advanced back in January and got this new iPad mini 3, 126GB on sale at Best Buy for $399. I love it so far.

2016-3-7
Use props
ghtracey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7224 ft
United States

I've been trying to decide this same issue. I'd like to have GPS in the tablet, but the cost for iPads with cellular is pretty ridiculous. For the start I guess I will use my iPhone 6 Plus when I want to use follow me and probably an iPad mini of some sort. I was debating the nVidia Shield, but every report I've seen is that video is smoother on the IOS devices.
2016-3-8
Use props
tm0054
lvl.1

United States

I use my Galaxy S5. I may buy a beater tablet for it in the near future.

BTW your LG Optimus G Pro E980 should fit if my Galaxy S5 can... There are two little plastic arms that fold out in the middle of the holder for smartphones.

2016-3-8
Use props
Orange5ive
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112477 ft
United Kingdom

ghtracey Posted at 2016-3-8 20:25
I've been trying to decide this same issue. I'd like to have GPS in the tablet, but the cost for iPa ...

Can you use iPhone as mobile hotspot with iPad?
2016-3-8
Use props
kjmarsola
lvl.3
United States

It has been confirmed, the Phantom 4 comes with the metal inspire device mount !!

P4 Controller

P4 Controller
Also the finish is glossy to match the P4 body
2016-3-8
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

iPad Mini 2 is under $200 US.  Works great.  Used my Samsung S5 before I got the Mini 2.
2016-3-8
Use props
ghtracey
lvl.2
United States

Orange5ive Posted at 2016-3-8 13:46
Can you use iPhone as mobile hotspot with iPad?

You can but the tablet itself doesn't have  a GPS chip in it so you couldn't do things like update your home location etc.
2016-3-9
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

There's an official list out there of "approved" devices/tablets that will definitely work as the receiver, and i'm wondering if as long as the tablet meets the basic specs (at least Android 4.1, enough RAM, etc) shouldn't it work? Or is there something different about those Android/IOS tablets on the official list than all the other ones out there with GPS and Bluetooth and even GLONASS?
2016-3-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It's the processing strength needed to run the option rich, power hungry app, that defines that approved device list.
Having a Cellular device like the iPAd Air 2 is good, because it contains the GPS module, which is necessary to appreciate some of the autonomous flight functions.
Plus you can't change the home point to where ever the radio controller goes, like if you are out hiking or in a boat for instance while the drone is in the air.
One feature some Pilots appreciate is the ability to stream their live flight video to YouTube., there you would need to actually have the cellular network enabled.

RedHotPoker
2016-3-9
Use props
DroneTech
lvl.2
Canada

In this image is this the regular iPad or the mini?
HJWF2_AV5.jpg
2016-3-9
Use props
John Boy
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Nexus 9.....great screen,no video/connection problems at all.
2016-3-10
Use props
ghtracey
lvl.2
United States

DroneTech Posted at 2016-3-9 19:35
In this image is this the regular iPad or the mini?

I'm just guessing but based on size comparison to the controller, I'd say its  a mini. Its not much wider than the controller, which would fit with the mini's 7" or so size?
2016-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules