Inspire 1 & Fat Shark Dominator HD v.2
3025 14 2016-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gw711
New
United States

I just bought the F.S. Dom. HD v.2 and am probably sending them back after Amazon gets them to me.
I seem to have been under the mistaken impression that the great reason to couple these 2 systems was for Head Tracking ability, removing the 2nd operator from the best piloting/shooting equation.
Is this, in fact, not possible?
If so, why?
Any word on whether DJI is working on a system for this for the Inspire 1?
Thanks!
2016-3-7
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

I have two versions of the dominators, standard and the new HDs ... I'm happy without head tracking as I just fly the bird around rather than try to fly in one direction as I look around...
The head tracking idea is used with fixed wing rc planes usually, on a multi rotor we can simply pan the bird with rudder or pan and tilt the camera or mix both pan the bird tilt the camera while on the fly...... a good trick but with practice you get smoother at flying your video footage. Yes there is an iOS pilot app called 3D fpv that allows an inspire 1, or a phantom to use camera head tracking and after watching the video does look cool and way less coin than the FS doms.
Basically a VR cardboard head set, the app, with your iPhone mounted inside  ....

2016-3-7
Use props
gw711
New
United States

daver/m Posted at 2016-3-7 14:53
I have two versions of the dominators, standard and the new HDs ... I'm happy without head tracking  ...

Thanks for the quick response Daver.
So.. you're saying that I can use a head-turning app??
What is it and is it downloaded to the tablet/phone?
How does it interface with the F.S. Dom HD v.2?
Also, is that the Oculus in your vimeo?
(Are you saying that I should keep the Dom HD v.2 because i can use it for a V.R. replacement of my viewing of the Zenmuse 3 through the tablet's eye?)
Iast point... Isn't it technically illegal by FAA's new standards in 2016 to not fly with line of sight?

Sorry for all these questions, btw.. (I'm new, here.)
2016-3-7
Use props
I1ADDICT
lvl.2

United States

There's a thread started last weekend about it.  Check out my comparisons and such...

http://forum.dji.com/thread-44493-1-1.html

In short...get a VR Box for your phone to sit in, then use 3D FPV to do the head tracking.  It is FAR Superior than LITCHI...but, LITCHI does better way points..so it's all on what you want to do.
Hop on that other thread, and keep the convo going.  We've covered a lot already in there...but personally, I'd ditch the fat shakrs with all the VR stuff coming out this year, the VR Box on amazon will work great.  No matter what you get, DO NOT GET A FIXED LENS VR Headset.  Get one that has ADJUSTABLE Lenses.  This makes all the difference in the world of a blurry okay image, to a crisp everytime image.  I had a lot of frustration with this, and learned the hard way.  Don't be like me. lol  VR Box has adjustable lenses.
2016-3-7
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

gw711@cox.net Posted at 2016-3-7 15:16
What i ...

No I'm not saying what you can do, legally. And it's not my video just one I found on the subject of head tracking and the inspire.
The set up seems to use your phone only, as far as I see in the video.
The app is available from Apple App Store if you have the iPhone.
The VR head set that holds your phone is cardboard or styrofoam.
Don't think the fatsharks will connect with this set up as it uses the app via your phone and the phones  charging cable to work at all. The fatsharks only connect to the rc controllers HDMI out.
Should you keep the fatsharks, boy that's tough to answer some love em some do not so that I'll leave up to you.
As for the legality of fully immersed fpv rc flight other than drone racing....  I'm gonna say illegal.
But you can still buy firecrackers and blow yer thumbs off legally.....so .......
2016-3-7
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

I have the Fat Shark Ver 2 HD and I think they are only just......the image quality is a bit ordinary.
I also have the HeadPlay unit and it is way better in terms of quality.....like the FS HD2 they have their own screens and just plug in via the HDMI on the controller....
I just brought the VR Box thing as on the other thread, and it works by putting your smart phone in a holder....then running the ap on the smart phone.......going on the screen quality if my Iphone 6Plus, I am looking forward to some great pictures...
2016-3-7
Use props
gw711
New
United States

Harb Posted at 2016-3-7 16:04
I have the Fat Shark Ver 2 HD and I think they are only just......the image quality is a bit ordinar ...

I would like to thank everybody that's responded to my original thread.
It's been a great experience inside this particular end of the bloggosphere and I'd love to hear more on my particular thread.
Is there a NASA/DroneE/DJI Engineer guy in the group that can tell me a go-around on how make the F.S. Dom. HD v.2 miraculously work out, on a DIY basis?

Btw... Sending My Inspire 1 back to the So. Cal Facility for the 2nd time since 11/15 for a repair on the same issue that was NEVER taken care of.
(Bought an Ipad Mini3 after a Samsung S2, because the video record shuts down on its own.
I.E. , I fly for 7 minutes and the video shuts down on its own in 13 seconds, regardless of distance flown. ..Thinking that <max. flight/reception distance causes interference & breaks down reception/shutdown on video recording.)

I want to love this technology, but, it's a motherf...
Damn.
2016-3-7
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

gw711@cox.net Posted at 2016-3-7 15:16
What i ...

You are welcome. Glad to answer your questions which always leads to even more complete answers and good advice on the subject from other members. We all learn even if we think we know ...yup !
Thinking I'll try the system out for myself now that I've learned how others enjoy theirs.
Ask all the questions you like here and you'll usually get plenty good answers or ideas.  
2016-3-7
Use props
gw711
New
United States

daver/m Posted at 2016-3-7 22:37
You are welcome. Glad to answer your questions which always leads to even more complete answers an ...

Can't thank you folks and this forum enough.
BTW, looking at last week's V.R. convo, what's the difference between going for the $100 Samsung, the Zeiss (which I'm quite familiar with - with regards to mil spec optics, F.S., Soon-to-be-released $1,500 Oculus, etc.?)
p.s., i know myself and KNOW that I'd eventually sit on the cardboard box, at some point..
2016-3-7
Use props
gw711
New
United States

daver/m Posted at 2016-3-7 22:37
You are welcome. Glad to answer your questions which always leads to even more complete answers an ...

Can't thank you folks and this forum enough.
BTW, looking at last week's V.R. convo, what's the difference between going for the $100 Samsung, the Zeiss? (which I'm quite familiar with - with regards to mil spec optics, F.S., Soon-to-be-released $1,500 Oculus, etc.?)
p.s., i know myself and KNOW that I'd eventually sit on the cardboard box, at some point..
2016-3-7
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

The difference between the FS and similar setups is they are purely just displays......some will interface with a computer to do head tracking with games etc, but primarily they are just a TV for your eyes.
The VR Box and other stuff like it are just a way of holding you phone close to your eyes, and with the right software, the phone will display the pictures as stereo or 3d images.......that software interfaces with the normal operating system for the drone and the whole thing makes the experience virtual 3d as such.......the power is the processor in the phone to produce the interface and then the images.The phone also has the ability to know which direction it is facing....up down left right etc etc.......so it ticks all the boxes for self a contained head tracking system.
And the phone screen is almost always better pix than the VR googles anyway.
So the FS and similar are just dumb monitors and will only display what is fed into them...just like your TV at home.
2016-3-8
Use props
Turbo Heart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

Been trying to find a 360 VR headset tracker app and this might finally be the one.
2016-3-8
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Turbo Heart Posted at 2016-3-8 08:23
Been trying to find a 360 VR headset tracker app and this might finally be the one.

Dji working with Ziess, VR one headset using the cloudlight app with head tracking.... can be used with other fpv head tracking apps like litchi or the virtual vertigo 3D fpv app, Check out Youtube, Ziess VR one fpv review.... Anyone have this setup ? If so are you happy with them ?

2016-3-8
Use props
gw711
New
United States

daver/m Posted at 2016-3-8 14:10
Dji working with Ziess, VR one headset and the Ziess cloud flight app with head tracking.... can be ...

This looks like the go-around, vs. cardboard.
The system is advertised for Inspire 1.
Now, I've gotta go get another damn apple device.

Android GW711
2016-3-8
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the dominator HD goggles. The head tracking module is designed to work with the Fat Shark receivers with the camera mounted to a servo motion base. This most likely will not work with the Inspire set up. The goggles do work with the HDMI output, but I do not use them on my aircraft.

I tried to use the head tracking on a Horizon 200QX for fun but the tracking did not work for me. Gave up and just flew like you are sitting in the cockpit and not turning your head from side to side.  
Expensive gear to use with a $200 quad!!

I would not mind selling it for something else

Rich
2016-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules