TB47 Damaged cell warning
2094 7 2016-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hadidimachkieh
lvl.1

United States

The other day I was flying the inspire. After I went through my first battery ( a newer one) I popped another one in and went through my check list which includes checking battery and cell voltages. Everything was fine. This is the original battery I received with my inspire back in january 2015.

As I started to gain altitude, I was about 100 feet up, the green gps rectangle turns red... and indictates battery issue. voltage dropped a little, and percentage was at 90%.

I quickly brought the aircraft back to where it took off from. luckily landed safely.

while the battery was still in the inspire and everything was still powered up I went into the battery status screen, and in the records, I read something like cell damaged.

I packed up and went home. The next day I called DJI and they asked me to show them in a breif video and a screen shot what was going on... I insterted the battery in the inspire, powered everything up and went to the battery records. everything was fine. I was unable to locate the warning, and all of my cells seemed to be normal.

This battery is old, however it hasn't been used or abused... I always cycled it. The only thing I've done wrong is leave it charged for sometimes a full week. I can't just fly or discharge the batteries all the time, like most of us, I have other work to do.

DJI said that the battery is out of warrenty period and there wasn't anything they could do.

Has anyone elese had this issue?

Should I dispose of this battery? I don't know if I can feel confident flying with it again.

2016-3-7
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

1) Did the battery record anything in the History Status in the GO App as a result of the cell alert?
2) What version of firmware are you running on your Inspire?
3) You can upload this one flight to HealthyDrones.com and see if it shows the cell alert and can identify which cell(s) are showing major deviations.

Unfortunately the battery is only warranted for : 6 Months and Charge Cycle less than 200 Times
2016-3-7
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Looks pretty bad... What does it show you  when you  open the battery menu?
2016-3-7
Use props
hadidimachkieh
lvl.1

United States

I just got a chance to take another look. It appears that the issue did show up again in the histroy. I've attached a couple of photos. Is this battery basically trahsed? Currently everything looks fine.

FW version is 1.6.00.40

2016-3-8
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

hadidimachkieh Posted at 2016-3-8 18:16
I just got a chance to take another look. It appears that the issue did show up again in the histroy ...

Had this happen too,  nearly a year old battery with 38 charges maintained properly.
Message was Damaged cell that I got and looking at that cell showed it was the lowest value and was colored yellow now and remained yellow even after recharging it and running it down to revive its brain but no saving it.  
That lowest cell in your picture is the culprit I think..but it shows green still...
if the values don't  even out after charging it probably is that lowest cell..
You could try ascending upward with lots of throttle while the pilot app shows the battery view and watch the cell that drops or even turns yellow for a moment until you back outa the power.
I have the cell voltage value display turned on too, for the small battery monitor of the pilot app which will always display the lowest cell in green but turns yellow if the cell is dropping out  under load.
2016-3-8
Use props
HAILSTONE AERIA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 536781 ft
New Zealand

daver/m Posted at 2016-3-9 16:32
Had this happen too,  nearly a year old battery with 38 charges maintained properly.
Message was Da ...

I had a yellow low voltage warning reading whilst flying the Inspire today.

I think the voltage was down to about 3 volts or something. I carried on flying because I still had lots of charge left.

What does this mean. Is the battery faulty.

Thanks
2016-3-11
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

I had this ever so wonderful and costly experience this week. Flew on a better that I havnt used much, maintained properly, never stored at full and I had taken a few months off of flying to tend to a new baby and upon a full charge to fly I had one cell down about .5V. I did the recommended discharge down to 3.2V and then did a full charge. This time all the cells charged except that one so one cell is staying at no charge.

Unfortunately I have had that battery about 10 months and it only had 19 charges on and now its a $200 paper weight. As it is out of warranty I tried popping the top of to unplug the smart top and let it sit for a while and then charge again and no go.

pretty disheartening that $200 into a battery and it lasted less than 20 charges before it dumped. As I bought 4 other TB48's at the same time and all have the same charges etc on them I have to say it looks like a poorly built unit.  I get why they only warranty the battery or 6 months but its a shame that even a single unit could die off with 19 charge cycles on it. Looks like I'm spending more money. But then again that's what businesses want, you to spend more money.
2016-3-13
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

hadidimachkieh Posted at 2016-3-9 10:16
I just got a chance to take another look. It appears that the issue did show up again in the histroy ...

Thanks for the follow-up. With 34 charges and a total mAH of 3764, have you calibrated this battery during it's operational lifetime?

Also, if you've willing to make the Flight Log or DAT file for this flight available, we can look at the battery cell data and see where in the flight the cell alerted. This is a consideration because the history reports that the battery entered self-discharge which means if flown, the initial unloaded battery could report more capacity than was really available. If the cell sagged during a climb-out then it could be explained via the Flight Log or DAT file. Just an option for your consideration....
2016-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules