iPad Air, Life Cycle of Phantom
1419 4 2016-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneTech
lvl.2
Canada

I will be a first time DJI owner with the Phantom 4. I owned some micro quadcopters before but not anything like this so I just have a few questions.

1. I currently own a wifi iPad Air. Will this work with the Phantom 4?
2. I read that to use all the features of the Phantom (older models) a wifi + cellular (GPS) iPad is required, but the drone already has GPS so why do I need it?
3.How is DJI's product life cycle? Will I be able to purchase replacement batteries/props/motors in 2-4 years for this model?
2016-3-8
Use props
QuadBart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256506 ft
  • >>>
United States

1) No idea
2) You need the cellular version for "Follow Me" to work all other functions will work with your iPad mini Wifi.   Follow Me uses the satellites on your smart device for positioning not the GPS on your Quad.
3) No idea
2016-3-8
Use props
DroneTech
lvl.2
Canada

So is "Follow Me" the same as "ActiveTrack"? Does it still need a GPS enabled iPad?
2016-3-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DroneTech Posted at 2016-3-9 14:33
So is "Follow Me" the same as "ActiveTrack"? Does it still need a GPS enabled iPad?

Activetrack does not need any external device to work, it simply follows the image on the screen. The 'Follow Me' mode is an older function used with the P3 that requires you to have a GPS equipped phone or tablet attached to the RC unit, simply so it knows where the RC unit is. If the person holding the RC unit then wanders off somewhere, the aircraft will follow it. The P4 has allegedly still got the Follow Me function.

With regard to the iPad Air, it is listed as a compatible device, so I presume it works OK. I have an Air 2 and it works very well.

Current research says that in just over a year, half of Phantom users have either lost their aircraft, crashed it and not repaired it, or have lost interest and moved on to the next great toy. So who knows in 2 years or more? Realistically, product life cycles are getting shorter and shorter, so it is impossible to say.
2016-3-8
Use props
Elysi0n
lvl.1

1. Look at this video, he uses an iPad Air 2
-> If you have your iOS updated, I do not see any reason why it would not work.

FYI I am using a superold Nexus 10 from 2012 even with a custom ROM and things work flawlessly.

2. QuadBart said it well

3. Look here: http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phanto ... ttery/dp/B00CS825XM

Batteries for the old Phantom 1 are still available and should be as well for a long time for the P3, since it is a more advanced and (I think) more used device.

2016-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules