Inpsire V1
1199 12 2016-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rob1098
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have just purchased a very nice Inspire 1 from the UK , A quick test flight yesterday to make sure it was working ok without any issues, Ive also brought a iPad mini 4 with 16gb and 4G to get the full use out of the machine, is 16gb going to be enough please ? Is there also somewhere I can register the Inspire or is this not possible.
2016-3-9
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

16Gb is more then enough. Full resolution videos are stored in your SD card anyway
2016-3-9
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

If You are going to store your Videos on the I-Pad I would get the 128  ( not sure exact # ) gb model.  If you are going to store on separate Hard Drive ( I do it this way )  than this is fine.  I prefer the larger I-pad air or even the Pro, But to each there own.   I am not sure about Registration in the UK.  In the states we must Register with the FAA.  

Please take your time and before doing any updates read all the Tips and Folow the Video Tutorials to the letter.  I will even give you my list of tips to help in the future.
This Hobby is a lot of fun.  Just dont get overconfident and fly smart.  Make a checklist  before each flight and follow it religiously.

Example:  Batteries charged, props tight, failsafe height check, home point, channel clear ,  i pad volume Up ! Rc antennas correct position, remeber CSC not in flight !, Nuber of Satellites locked, GPS mode, Compass calibrated If necessary, check props again ,  and on   and on.  Make your own, these are but a few, make your own   make a sheet of paper and laminate it.  

Cheers and Mosly have Fun -  donnie

Tips:
-  After 1.3 the update  FOR the Transmitter is NOT through the SD Card it is through The DJI go  app and   WI-FI connection.
-Always update the aircraft first-
-Make sure you download the proper firmware.  If you have the Pro make sure not downloading for the Advanced or standard.
-Make sure you only download the Bin File to the FRESH FORMATTED SD CARD.
-Make sure transmitter is NOT on when downloading Firmware to aircraft ( VERY IMPORTANT)
-When installing SD with fresh  firmware  card in Aircraft make sure it is off. Then turn on aircraft, the firmware will then load.
-YOU  CAN JUMP FROM 1.3 or 1.4 TO 1.6.   I do not recomend it though.  I think staying in order is better. Seems like it causes missed data.
-All the firmware numbers  for the RC - aircraft- Go App - Camera WONT BE THE SAME . For example the current aircraft firmware is 1.6.0.40  but the RC Firmware is 1.5.70.  A LOT OF  FOLKS GET CONFUSED ON THIS   (Including Yours Truly when first starting out.)
-Sometimes only the aircraft gets an update and not RC Transmitter   Read the pdf on the downloads page so you know what’s going on for example 1.6.0.40 is only for the aircraft and  batteries.
-Make sure to read what each update is effecting. For example 1.6.0.4.0 will require each battery to be updated as well. Keep Informed.
-Macs  sometimes dont format SD cards well. When Formatting is in doubt FORMAT ON THE AIRCRAFT, go to camera settings on dji go app , open the tool icon , on bottom is Format SD  card option
-Updates sometimes take a while, wait for the tone to change to d-dd d-dd d-dd d-dd d-dd d-dd d-dd  or the green light even better.
-If you hear a long dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd   it has failed.
-updating is not an option for just the aircraft, IF there is also an update at that time for the Transmitter you MUST do it.
-Updates for the Phantom Standard are Only Done through GO-App and Wi-Fi, no SD Firmware to upload.
- You cant Rollback the Battery Firmware once installed.
-When doing a Rollback, confirm the Current firmware on the Aircraft and then Rollback Firmware in Order.   You can only rollback to 1.5 if at 1.6

2016-3-9
Use props
rob1098
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thank you very much for your help , the other thing I noticed this morning while doing some aerial shots for work is that the pictures seem very dark ?
2016-3-10
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

rob1098 Posted at 2016-3-10 06:53
Thank you very much for your help , the other thing I noticed this morning while doing some aerial s ...

Sorry Rob, you are going to have to expand on that one.     There are many variable settings on the camera settings on the  Inspire 1.  There is not going to be " One Setting " for all.  Do a lot of experimentation on the camera  settings . ie:  ISO settings, frame Rates , white balance ,style, Frame rate, exposure, etc.

In general for dark pictures check your white balance settings .  On "you tube" there are some very good videos on this topic ( Camera settings)  I am not well versed in the "Art" of photography, But I don know that to get the perfect shot takes some time and effort.  

All the best to you and yours - donnie   
2016-3-10
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

rob1098 Posted at 2016-3-10 12:53
Thank you very much for your help , the other thing I noticed this morning while doing some aerial s ...

Rob,

Welcome to the forum.  You will get some good tips from the guys here.  Your first place to review that I would recommend is to watch the videos and tutorials that Jim hare produced.  You couldn't get any better advice and his tutorials are easy to follow.

Happy flying
2016-3-10
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

rob1098 Posted at 2016-3-10 23:53

As donnie said there are many variables, but one that is often the cause is the content of the frame......
Make sure you tilt the camera down so it takes its exposure readings of the ground and not the sky.....this can be a real problem if the sky is really bright and the ground not so much.....like in the morning or late afternoon.
You can either tilt the camera down to see more ground or change the exposure settings to get it right.
2016-3-10
Use props
rob1098
lvl.1

United Kingdom

What can I say gents but thank you very much for all of this , I have been flying helicopters for many years and competed at a lot of events and have now decided to go down the filming route. Im a very keen photographer and take / publish a lot of 3D Helicopter events around Europe etc , this is going to add another dimension to it all , but I have a lot of learning to do with the Inspire with regards everything I think . Thank you all again for your help
2016-3-11
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

Rob if you have been flying helicopters you will be able to have a nap while flying the inspire.....its such a well behaved bird, and the perfect choice for filming at a price point that doesn't make you nervous every time you go out.
There are a few little things that you have to keep in mind.....mostly battery management, but really at the end of the day, its an absolute pleasure to fly.
PS.... I hope you have the car to go with that hat
2016-3-11
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Harb Posted at 2016-3-11 03:04
Rob if you have been flying helicopters you will be able to have a nap while flying the inspire..... ...

Harb , sometimes I will single  tap on the main video  screen and the yellow  ( says  EXP)  circle pops up, I can move this circle anywhere on the Image screen. My question:  I thought this circle would dictate where the exposure reading is calculated, This way I could still have plenty of sky in the frame, but have my exposure from the ground.   I do know you can change it manually as well but just want to confirm this " Yellow Circle's Exp" Function.
Thanks !

-donnie
2016-3-11
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

Morning Donnie.......Yep, there are quiet a few options for Exposure adjustment thats for sure...... Auto/Manual, adjusting EV values, etc etc...
What you are doing is Correct....
I must admit, I don't use the function much because I never use the drone for static shots where that function excels.
I mostly just expose the frame to what I know is workable in grading later on....bit of a balancing act, and its why I am so keen to get hold of the X5R
I find the hardest time of the day is early morning and late afternoon when the land is dark and the sky is bright in the lower elevations facing towards the sun, and to make it simple, I just sometimes tilt the camera down a bit to get good exposure on the subject I am filming.....unless of course it needs to have sky in the shot....nice clouds etc, then I go for the other methods.
One of the best tools I have is DaVinci Resolve. I can take the time to mask out trouble area's and get great results in post when needed.
2016-3-11
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Harb Posted at 2016-3-11 15:30
Morning Donnie.......Yep, there are quiet a few options for Exposure adjustment thats for sure...... ...

Thank you Harb, I knew I could count On you for a good explanation.  I am going to have to learn about this Post Production stuff and the benefits of shooting Raw.  I think I will Just skip the X5 and go right to the X5 Raw and dive right to the world of Aerial  Photography !

Cheers - donnie
2016-3-11
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

RAW definitely makes your Job harder, but it lets you do things that make your results so much better....and the result is what its all about.
The beauty of RAW is it gives you the full Data the Chip is capable of producing....no in camera processing at all.....it leaves all of that up to you in post....a major benefit.
You will recover footage that at first glance you think is rubbish.
Just be ready for the flat lifeless looking files off the camera.....they look awful until you do your magic............you can even use LUTS if you choose....they are just Pre Done Color Grades to reflect a certain taste, that may or may not be you cup of tea, but you can start with one thats close to your idea, and then just adjust it to suit yourself.....bit like starting out with a supermarket cake mix, and adding your own stuff to make it "Yours" or, you can just start from scratch........either way you will be across it in no time at all.
One of the best programs around for colour grading is DaVinci Resolve........ you can download a free full working copy if you go to the BlackMagic Design site and downloading it from there.
Once installed there are heaps of "beginners" video's on YouTube that will have you up and running in no time........it even includes a basic editor, but the real power is in the colour grading department.
2016-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules