pitch and roll limits in ATTI vs GPS
1595 9 2014-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stevens.bennett
lvl.1

Canada

I recently had a very violent crash and my P2 is un usable at the point. I have had some practice in ATTI mode but for the most part I utilized the GPS function to keep the unit stablized, like most. when I had fiddled arround with the ATTI mode it hovered well, but was susceptible to wind and motor balancing. still though, I couldnt get it to pitch or roll to a point that I couldnt recover from, about 30 degrees.

which leads me to wonder what exactly happened in my most recent outing. from the ground, what i experienced was 7-8 sat connections running perfectly fine in GPS mode for about 6 minutes of flight, then all of a sudden it started turning to the right and rolling to the left even though thats not what my controls were doing at that point. I assumed I lost a connection with 2 sats but was too busy watching the aircraft to see my screen. When I tried to correct it started pitching forwards and rolling to the opposite side but wouldnt go back. the unit went over perpendicular to the ground about 100-110 degrees from level and drove itself into the ground at ~mach 2. unfortunately it was pitching towards me at that point and I have no LED refence for if the compass got messed up mid flight or GPS loss or anything. I have a video of the event and the go pro on the H3 is at about 45-50 degrees from the horizon, on a maxed out gimbal. The one prop is clearly visible going over vertical.

contoller had been calibrated the night before and the unit itself had the compass calibrated before the flight and I did not take off untill a home point was recorded.

is this normal? I havent spent enough time not using GPS to know its limits

Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 1.18.49 AM.png
2014-9-26
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.3

United States

Watch this video explains ATTI Mode.

2014-9-27
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like you were in manual mode, is your S1 switch set for GPS / Atti / Manual ?
2014-9-27
Use props
stevens.bennett
lvl.1

Canada

both S1 and S2 were in the top position when this occurred. I was flying near a river and wanted to take no chances.

i have watched that video before and do understand all the positions but this was literally a disregard for my controls by the aircraft.

even if it lost gps and jumped into atti mode, it was still uncharacteristic of atti and more like full manual. but in atti the aircraft at least knows not to fall out of the sky. i know you must still feed it throttle to keep it up but this thing flipped upside down and could not provide any upward lift
2014-9-28
Use props
DJI-Blair
lvl.2

China

Do you have any video of your accident to better analyze the problem?
2014-9-29
Use props
wachirarat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 653770 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

More like the manual mode you were to me.
2014-10-2
Use props
jtbernier
New

United States

I know this topic is two months old, but I experienced the exact thing.  I don't have manual mode programmed on any of my switches. I was flying towards myself into a head wind.

I do have the video. http://youtu.be/CkG5rH242Pg?t=3m8s  

The crash begins around the 3:08 mark, but the first few minutes show the first part of the flight. Mode was GPS. P2 with H3-3D and mini IOSD, AVL-58.  Winds were about 5-10 knots, gusting to 20 knots.

The sand favored the crash, with no damage to the aircraft and only minor damage to the gimbal.

Thoughts?
2014-12-2
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I have had this, only once, never got to the bottom of it still don't know why. It corrected itself after a second, thankfully no crash,. My thoughts were 're calibration, I now periodically do re calibration and not had the problem again.
2014-12-2
Use props
DJI-Blair
lvl.2

United States

Hi jtbernier,
It seems that there is something wrong with the  motors based on the video.
It's recommended to contact the nearest support center to do a thorough check for it.
Here is the support center info:
http://www.dji.com/support
2014-12-3
Use props
jtbernier
New

United States

DJI-Blair Posted at 2014-12-3 16:12
Hi jtbernier,
It seems that there is something wrong with the  motors based on the video.
It's recom ...

Thanks.  I'll do that.
2014-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules