SOVIET RADIO STATION 1949 (Inspire 1/Osmo)
6325 36 2016-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
martinkirikal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 68471 ft
Estonia

Hi Everyone!

Last weekend in spite of bad weather I put my Inspire and Osmo handle to test. Here in Estonia we have mostly cloudy weather during winter and so called magic hour for filming does not exist. We have low ambient light conditions and mostly grey is the dominating color.

My goal was to combine Inspire X3 and Osmo handle to test in such conditions.

Equipment used:
  Inspire 1 (with X3 camera)
  Osmo handle kit
  Osmo extension stick, car mount and tripod.

Keep in mind that the footage is shot in extremely poorly lit conditions and in my mind the X3 performed quite well.
Location was old radio station built in 1949.
Hope you enjoy! (Please ignore YouTube compression J )

Best regards,
Martin

2016-3-10
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

Just stunning!!  It's amazing how such deterioration can have its own artistic beauty.  Very cool.
2016-3-10
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well done.
2016-3-10
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

How great are those Osmo's
The only downside I can find with them is the fact my Iphone battery doesn't last long enough......... I have 4 Osmo batteries, but am yet to figure out what to do with the phone.
2016-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Very cool video and editing, and amazing place.
2016-3-10
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Absolutely stunning video! There are still  a lot of abandoned buildings on the post- soviet territory...  Your shooting skills are great and color grading is absolutely awesome...
Also there was a super close call at 2.57
2016-3-10
Use props
martinkirikal
lvl.3
Estonia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-11 08:03
Very cool video and editing, and amazing place.

Thanks for everyone the kind words!

Yes, we have quite a number of these kind of places left abandoned. At the moment I plan to do little series of these old military bases from the Soviet area.

As for the 2.57 mark..... yes that was close call

Br,
Martin
2016-3-11
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

Martin, One of my great passions in life is to explore old deserted tech places, like this and military bases, air bases train sites, power stations....etc etc.
Do you have a YouTube channel..... I would love to see more of your stuff.
One day hope to tour places like Chernobyl etc.
2016-3-11
Use props
martinkirikal
lvl.3
Estonia

Harb Posted at 2016-3-11 12:47
Martin, One of my great passions in life is to explore old deserted tech places, like this and milit ...

Yes, Chernobyl is in my bucket list as well

I have only 2 videos on my channel at the moment but in the coming months I am going to add more.

Just type Martin Kirikal to the YouTube and you will find me.

The other video is filmed in Paldiski which was also no visit zone for regular people during Soviet times.

Br,
Martin
2016-3-11
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

Thx, I will look now !
Edit**

Thats a great looking old lighthouse.....

I look forward to your next adventure.

You are very lucky over there..... you have so much history to explore.

Here in Australia we dont have much interesting stuff, and we have a policy that if something is not used, to knock it down.....a real shame really

2016-3-11
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great job. The saturation is awesome.
2016-3-11
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Dear Harb ... You wrote to Martin, our young Estonian friend and very talented film maker " ... you are very lucky over there ... you have so much history to explore ...". You're right, there's indeed so much of history to explore, but I will hardly call it luck.

I know you didn't mean that, but your unfortunate wording hit me in the face really hard. Only old farts like myself can remember all the horror and hardship of living under Soviet regime, and Estonians were not lucky for sure as well. These grim, decaying remains of Russian infiltration and Cold War paranoia are all over Eastern Europe, pompous even now as they were build in order to make us feel so insignificant, so small In the presence of The State ...

Images like that, so brilliantly captured by young Martin, makes me shivering ... You're lucky, Harb, not having such history to explore in Australia.
2016-3-12
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

Yes dobmatt, on that count you are right, and I understand your sadness, so for that I apologise .......it is not luck the way you got it thats for sure.
I understand your position because although I was born in Australia, my family was not, and as of about 6 months ago when my mother died, I am the very last person to hold our family name.
Most of my extended family have been lost to war.....mostly World War 2, but also in some of the later conflicts as well.
I also was to join the air force, but promised my Mother not to join the army or airforce..........it was a promise I kept........ That dear old lady lost everything, and my father came away from WW2 with horrible reminders, and even on his death bed I held his hand while his mind made him re live all the bad memories.....just horrible .
So again I Apologise for the way I said that........ I certainly did not mean you guys are lucky in that way.....they are awful memories for those of you that lived through it.....be it dictatorship or war and opression.

we are very lucky here in Australia there is no doubt......and we are lucky not to have the history some places around the world do........I will try and remember that a bit better.
2016-3-12
Use props
WillBapta
lvl.2

This is sick. Reminds me of the videos of Chernobyl. Someone should go there!
2016-3-12
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

WillBapta Posted at 2016-3-12 11:43
This is sick. Reminds me of the videos of Chernobyl. Someone should go there!

And many were since, quite recently the National Geographic Magazine crew. Their images are of the same mood Martin was able to capture in his video. Grim, dark and decaying structures within apparently bursting Nature, rusting child playground and amusement park, peeling wall paint and shattered windows, rotten books and newspapers, chilling picture of a toy dolly in moss-covered garbage pile ... Creepy.
2016-3-12
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Great job using the Inspire and the Osmo together.

Dave
2016-3-13
Use props
ahoj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 462690 ft
Sweden

Well done! Very nice video, subscribing to you channel to see you future creations..
2016-3-13
Use props
I1ADDICT
lvl.2

United States

Alastair Posted at 2016-3-10 09:32
Just stunning!!  It's amazing how such deterioration can have its own artistic beauty.  Very cool.

Very well stated.
+1
2016-3-14
Use props
I1ADDICT
lvl.2

United States

Alastair Posted at 2016-3-10 09:32

Just what I was thinking.

Amazing video.  Reminds me of a level in a game called Stalker. Soooo cool to see.  Awesome job!
2016-3-14
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Great venue to shoot, fantastic quality on the inspire as well as the Osmo.
2016-3-14
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Beautiful work!   Love the exposure, colours, everything.  Tell me, is the artifacting I see present in the original?  I'm guessing with the low light conditions there would be some.

I'm very interested to see how the X5R behaves in these situations.

Again, great job, you have a wonderful eye!
2016-3-14
Use props
martinkirikal
lvl.3
Estonia

jimhare Posted at 2016-3-15 02:56
Beautiful work!   Love the exposure, colours, everything.  Tell me, is the artifacting I see present ...

Thank You!

Actually there is very little artifacting on the original. There is some, however this is normal for such a small camera that has its limitations. I would love to have X5R to test in these kind of conditions.
Most of the problems regarding image quality come with joy using YouTube

It seems that YouTube destroys image that has lots of shadows and dark spots. Is it possible for regular user to have good quality when uploding to YouTube? Or do I need to have million subscribers? It seems that some users can have quite nice results.

Br,
Martin

2016-3-14
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

martinkirikal Posted at 2016-3-15 17:57
Thank You!

Actually there is very little artifacting on the original. There is some, however thi ...

Thanks Martin.  Yeah, it can be real hit and miss.   Glad to hear most aren't in the original.
I've had both very good and very bad results with YouTube.  Some things look great and other create terrible artifacts where none exist in the original.

As for artifcats in X3 footage, it tends to either be areas of high moving detail, like water, or very tight lines/points that jiggle.

The X5R should be very good when it comes to these, will be interested to see how it performs.

Again, love your work, looks amazing!
2016-3-15
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Excellent job!
Rich
2016-3-16
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Excellent! I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to see more of your work.
John
2016-3-16
Use props
thegrindlab
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Harb Posted at 2016-3-10 21:31
How great are those Osmo's
The only downside I can find with them is the fact my Iphone battery does ...

Get a cheap, prepaid Android phone (with removable batteries if you prefer) and don't activate it for service. We have extra Android phones/tablets lying around for similar purposes and many are powerful enough to run DJI's app very well.
2016-3-16
Use props
rad57
New

Canada

What a piece my friend! Wow, beautiful ! Great work. I have Osmo did not try yet, I am just worrying about sharpness. Your video is very sharp.
2016-3-19
Use props
rad57
New

Canada

What a piece my friend! Wow, beautiful ! Great work. I have Osmo did not try yet, I am just worrying about sharpness. Your video is very sharp.
2016-3-19
Use props
martinkirikal
lvl.3
Estonia

rad57 Posted at 2016-3-20 01:58
What a piece my friend! Wow, beautiful ! Great work. I have Osmo did not try yet, I am just worrying ...

Thank You!

Yes OSMO with the X3 performed very well. At the moment I am looking forward to see what the X5R can achieve. Lets´s hope that we are going to get soon some good footage. The X5R  with the Inspire1 and OSMO can be a powerful combination if the camera does everything that was promised.

Br,
Martin
2016-3-20
Use props
ashley2
lvl.1

Australia

Cool building.... Great video
2016-4-13
Use props
westerman.scott
lvl.1

Australia

Fantastic video. Thanks for sharing
2016-4-16
Use props
Cjasmin
New
Flight distance : 168330 ft
United States

Very cool video and thank u for sharing.
2016-4-24
Use props
New

Harb, what about a Mophie case or (worst case) an external battery?
2016-4-24
Use props
New

Awesome video Martin!
2016-4-24
Use props
marcosbruning
New

Brazil

Greetings everyone. Working with I 1 in Brazil. I learn a lot here in the forum , I appreciate the contribution of all . I would like you to accompany some of my work. The location of the recording is the city of Morretes, Brazil .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqcZJoLxzJI
2016-5-31
Use props
Ricky Wu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong

this is awesome
2016-6-16
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4