Zenmuse Z15-GH4 - camera LED indicator solid red, no video
6366 22 2016-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
timonroecg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 156401 ft
United States

Someone from DJI - can you please tell me what the solid red light means and how to fix it.  Thanks.
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

In my judgement, there might be something wrong with the hardware. Behind the indicator, there is a electric board which is in charge of the image transmission, the red indicator just implies the malfunction of that component inside. I'll advise you to return it for repair.
2016-3-17
Use props
flaviomjr
lvl.4
Canada

timonroecg@gmai Posted at 2016-3-16 10:01
Someone from DJI - can you please tell me what the solid red light means and how to fix it.  Thanks.

This is a sign that your PCB HDMI board is malfunctioning.   If your gimbal is still under warranty I would suggest you to contact DJI service for warranty repair.  These boards are known to have some issues related to operation in cold temperatures and the one you are experiencing.   

If you are not under warranty I would highly suggest you to contact dji anyway and see if they will replace it, at worse case scenario you can purchase the hdmi board and replace it yourself.   Its a pretty easy job to do.    Otherwise you might have to wait a good 3 or more weeks to get your gimbal back.

I have done this myself, so if you need help let me know and I will be more than happy to help in anyway I can.
2016-3-21
Use props
timonroecg
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for the reply flaviomjr.  Based on other threads on this forum I assumed it was the HDMI PCBA Board so went ahead and replaced it.  The gimbal's camera LED indicator now blinks yellow so believe the board is operating correctly.  

I do get an image on my Black Pearl monitor but it scrolls vertically constantly.  I've tried different channels / settings on the Black Pearl as well as different settings on the GH4 camera but nothing seems to work.  Is there a setting on the GH4 / Black Pearl / etc. that will fix this?
2016-3-21
Use props
flaviomjr
lvl.4
Canada

timonroecg@gmai Posted at 2016-3-21 16:40
Thanks for the reply flaviomjr.  Based on other threads on this forum I assumed it was the HDMI PCBA ...

for you to fix that you need to switch the black pearl to PAL system in the main menu.   Don't ask me why, its just how they are setup.  lol
2016-3-21
Use props
flaviomjr
lvl.4
Canada

flaviomjr@vtolx Posted at 2016-3-21 19:03
for you to fix that you need to switch the black pearl to PAL system in the main menu.   Don't ask ...

let me know if that works.   And don't forget to thumb up your problem is resolved.   
2016-3-21
Use props
timonroecg
lvl.3
United States

I've tried both NTSC and PAL on the Black Pearl and still have the problem.  I think the gimbal is having a problem outputting the video...  looking at the cable that runs to the wireless vtx to see if I've got a bad solder connection.

2016-3-29
Use props
flaviomjr
lvl.4
Canada

Ah ok.  That is very possible.  But the  problem you describe usually happens for me when I don't have the correct video system selected on the black pearl.  If you are seeing a video  feed that means the gimbal is operating properly.   You have the video switch set to analog?  Are you absolutely sure that you have your black pearl set to the correct video system?  And correct channels?  Remember that there is a letter and channel number that has to match to what it's set on the video tx.  
2016-3-29
Use props
timonroecg
lvl.3
United States

Using the cable from the gimbal's G7 port I've wired the gimbal directly to the FlySight 5.8 Ghz wireless vtx (model TX-5807).  The Flysight vtx then sends the video to the Black Pearl monitor.  The gimbal's switch is set to AV.

I've set the GH4 camera to NTSC, the Black Pearl is also set to NTSC.  Here's what the video looks like on the Black Pearl.

If I set the Black Pearl to PAL, here's what the video now looks like:

The video no longer scrolls vertically but there are horizontal lines that are scrolling vertically on the monitor.  I've tried all combinations of settings on the Black Pearl (bands and channels) and can't get rid of them.  Is there a way to reduce these or get rid of them?
2016-4-2
Use props
timonroecg
lvl.3
United States

I've tried a second gimbal and still get the horizontal lines scrolling vertically on the Black Pearl (see Black Pearl - PAL video above).  The lines also appear on the monitor when the camera is turned off.

Anyone seen this issue or have thoughts on how to get rid of these lines?
2016-4-7
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

timonroecg@gmai Posted at 2016-4-7 21:33
I've tried a second gimbal and still get the horizontal lines scrolling vertically on the Black Pear ...

It seems that either your replaced HDMI board or the monitor is not good enough to process the images.
Take a look at both of your videos, it implies that PAL should be the compatible standard system.
You may want to read this information, hope you'll find it helpful: http://www.diffen.com/difference/NTSC_vs_PAL
2016-4-8
Use props
flaviomjr
lvl.4
Canada

timonroecg@gmai Posted at 2016-4-7 21:33
I've tried a second gimbal and still get the horizontal lines scrolling vertically on the Black Pear ...

The second video is ok, maybe you need to switch channels on video tx & Rx.   I get those sometimes.  When I turn the unit on inside the house.  Could very well be interference.  Try going outside and also switching the channels.  Works for me.
2016-4-8
Use props
timonroecg
lvl.3
United States

flaviomjr - thanks again for your input...  I appreciate the help.  I also get the horizontal scrolling lines when I'm outside and have tried all combinations channels.  Maybe this is a side effect of my wireless vtx and Black Pearl monitor.  What Video TX and Monitor are you using?

DJI-Adela - I bought a second Z15-GH4 gimbal and have the same problem with both.  Thanks for sending the link.
2016-4-10
Use props
flaviomjr
lvl.4
Canada

I am using black mamba but even with my other ones i would get it and then it would disappear.  
2016-4-12
Use props
timonroecg
lvl.3
United States

Looks like I'm using a smaller version of that receiver.  Model TX-5807 is only 700mW, the Black Mamba is 2000mW.
2016-4-14
Use props
Geronimo13
lvl.2
Flight distance : 529721 ft
France

flaviomjr@vtolx Posted at 2016-3-21 21:26
This is a sign that your PCB HDMI board is malfunctioning.   If your gimbal is still under warrant ...

Same issue here.
Your conclusions are correct (HDMI PCBA Board Issue). except the root cause.
Not only low temperature, as here in France my coldest temp was 15°C (60° F)

The Zenmuse is very touchy equipement. Probably not FCC or CE compliant at all, as I suspect an electostatic discharge trough the hdmi connector killing the electronic board just a GH4 power-up issue...
2016-6-11
Use props
Johnetchingham
New
United Kingdom

Exactly the same issue here. Red light on gimbal on steady. No output from gimbal to downlink transmitter. ( Changing connection to an on board FPV camera "Instant Picture" ! ) . In settings on camera HDMI choice greyed out as camera not recognising card exists.
Does anyone know if DJI are indicating that new boards purchased now are updated and not prone to fail again ? Is there any discount if one returns a faulty board ?
2018-6-11
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>

I parked all my GH4 gimbals and went back to the GH3...only difference is you don’t get the transmission in HD (unless you use a special cable that gets tangled if you rotate 360) and I’ve never looked back. I use an sbus decoder to run my video through LB...and I only use LB1...except for an earlier problem with letting the LB1 set too long without charging, I’ve never had an issue. But that’s just me....
2018-6-12
Use props
Wolle
lvl.3

Germany

Johnetchingham Posted at 2018-6-11 23:12
Exactly the same issue here. Red light on gimbal on steady. No output from gimbal to downlink transmitter. ( Changing connection to an on board FPV camera "Instant Picture" ! ) . In settings on camera HDMI choice greyed out as camera not recognising card exists.
Does anyone know if DJI are indicating that new boards purchased now are updated and not prone to fail again ? Is there any discount if one returns a faulty board ?

Not in my opinion.
Beginning of the year I bought a new HDMI PCBA board for my old Z15 GH4.
The board had the same probleme like the old one. I send the gimbal with the old and new PCBA board and got a repaired Z15 GH4 back.
I hope that I don't get any further problems.

Regards
Wolfgang
2018-6-12
Use props
fansbc807fa2
lvl.1
Spain

Hi! i have the same problem with my Zenmuse for A7. I sent to Dji EU Repair Service with the front red light red, i received it some time ago, today i put it on my S900 and when power on the drone.... the same problem, red light in the gimbal. Don't repair nothing in the Repair Center? Paid for nothing. I am confused.
2018-8-27
Use props
LuisR
lvl.1
Dominican Republic

fansbc807fa2 Posted at 2018-8-27 06:38
Hi! i have the same problem with my Zenmuse for A7. I sent to Dji EU Repair Service with the front red light red, i received it some time ago, today i put it on my S900 and when power on the drone.... the same problem, red light in the gimbal. Don't repair nothing in the Repair Center? Paid for nothing. I am confused.

Hello friend, have you managed to solve?

I have the same problem with 2 new gimbal.
2018-9-9
Use props
MombasaFlash
lvl.1
Flight distance : 215817 ft
France

I have five Zenmuse Z15 gimbals; a GH2, a GH3, a BMPCC and 2x GH4. The GH2 still works as well as it ever did, which means it has an occasional twitch, the GH3 is brilliant, the BMPCC is sort of OK and the GH4's are rubbish. THREE GH4 HDMI/AV boards have gone bad and when they do work the image is soft, the colour is gawdy and there is a constant scrolling wave.

Long experience with DJI's awful customer service means I no longer even attempt to get some sort of satisfaction or recompense for their failed products. DJI views its customers as cash cows, to be fleeced as often as possible.

The original S800 Spreading Wings hexacopter was a good example. DJI issued replacements for every major component, because the original components were faulty or inadequate, BUT, they charged for each of these: GPS puck that used to flip the drone in mid-air with no warning, the IMU that caused the drone to drastically lose height, the boom arms that were too flexible, the H-Frame with Anti-Vibration mounts and retracts — it was originally supplied with a 360° gimbal but fixed undercarriage legs !!!!
2020-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules