What if DJI GO app crashes or mobile phone shuts down or...
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
silver
lvl.1

Croatia

I am new into this type of video shooting and before I make my first aerial photo with Phantom 3 standard, I have some questions. And for most of them I found answers here and on the net but I can't get one thing clear - I will use Sony Xperia with DJI GO app for video monitoring during flight and I need to know - what if phone accidentally shuts down? Or maybe somebody calls me during flight and stop DJI GO application? Or DJI GO app crashes maybe? Will drone fall down, or stop in midair or continue to flight and I can controll it like nothing happened even if app/phone is down?

Sorry if this is already answerred but I can't find answer anywhere

And one more thing about "return to home feature" -  sorry for silly question but I am pretty confused with it and I can't understand how it works - does it need to be turned on to use this drone? See,  I would like to disable/turn of that feature- because if battery is low, I don't want my " Phantom 3 standard" to go to home location automatically - I will fly it to me immediatelly because it is safer than auto-flight back  that can crash it into some obstacle (I know about altitude setup to prevent this but I still want to have full controll and turn that feature down)...  

Many thanks for replies in advance.

2016-3-11
Use props
abturkington
lvl.2

United Kingdom

The phone shutting down or crashing has happened to me before.
Despite it being extremely scary, the drone will still operate as per usual but obviously without the app.
Hence why I keep my drone in line of  sight most of the time.

For RTH I am pretty sure it is always on and cannot be turned off.
I understand that you think it is safer to fly home rather than the drone if the battery gets to low.
Although it might be, if you lose signal at any point during your flight you have to fully rely on RTH as you cant fly it home yourself.
So therefore RTH does help.
2016-3-11
Use props
z5.zonefive
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24298 ft
United States

If the app shuts down, and you have the drone out of sight, just let go of the sticks, and it will hover.  restart the app and it will connect by its wifi to the controler and you will be able to fly.
As already posted, if you are flying where you can see the drone, you can fly it without the app.

The RTH feature can't be shut off.  Set it to a high enough altitude so that if it activates it will be above anything you are flying near.  However you can stop RTH at anytime by taping the red X that is on the screen and telling it to stop.  then you can manually fly it.
2016-3-11
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

You can modify rth behavior in several ways.  You can set the critical battery point way down at like 10 percent.  Beware,  if you do this,  the drone may not have the juice for you to fly it back,  and it may just land in place.  You can also change the signal lost rth to just hover in place,  which means you will have to position yourself to regain coverage and control before the battery goes critical and it initiates rth or land in place.  There may be other options as well,  can't remember off the top of my head but it is covered in the manual.
2016-3-11
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

nothing... it still can fly and you will be able to control it . RTH button is always for your service
2016-3-11
Use props
silver
lvl.1

Croatia

Many, many thanks for all answers! And one more question - what if I lose signal - for example, drone goes behind building etc. - of course I won't be able to control it - but will it fall or stay hovering or mabye it will start RTH procedure automatically?
2016-3-12
Use props
abturkington
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I think it was said above:
'You can also change the signal lost RTH to just hover in place' - This means you will have to reposition to gain coverage to be able to control the drone.
Or
RTH will automatically fly your drone to the home point. Just make sure your RTH altitude is heigher than the building.
2016-3-12
Use props
silver
lvl.1

Croatia

OK. Once again thanks! And one more thing to ask - what happens if it lose connection to GPS satellites during flight? Will it stay hovering?
2016-3-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

silver Posted at 2016-3-13 09:23
OK. Once again thanks! And one more thing to ask - what happens if it lose connection to GPS satelli ...

If you lose GPS satellites while flying, the aircraft will switch to ATTI mode, and you will have to fly it manually. For this reason you should practice flying in ATTI mode so you will know how to deal with the situation. However, losing satellite view is not a common thing, it may happen if you are flying among tall buildings. But flying among tall buildings is asking for trouble, so avoid doing it.
2016-3-12
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-12 07:51
nothing... it still can fly and you will be able to control it . RTH button is always for your servi ...

To the OP; Remember on the Standard, you can manually Return To Home by toggling the S2 switch (upper LEFT switch) a couple of times. (There is no actual RTH button marked on the RC for the Standard).
This is a direct commend from the remote control, not the app, so even if the app has crashed or your phone has turned off, it will RTH for you.
Good idea to try it once or twice and it will give you the confidence of this as a back up.
Cheers
Ian

2016-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules