time lapse video resolution???
8143 32 2016-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wordsaremything
lvl.3

United States

How do you change the video resolution for time lapse videos on the Osmo? All my time lapse videos are only 720p.
2016-3-11
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Hi, this is the only resolution for time lapse
2016-3-12
Use props
wordsaremything
lvl.3

United States

nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2016-3-12 19:06

Well that is just terrible and stupid at the same time.
2016-3-12
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

wordsaremything Posted at 2016-3-12 22:47
Well that is just terrible and stupid at the same time.

There have been a fair few complaints about the resolution in time lapse, hopefully future FW will resolve this issue
2016-3-12
Use props
davidcwong888
lvl.2

Canada

nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2016-3-13 08:23
There have been a fair few complaints about the resolution in time lapse, hopefully future FW will ...

Hopefully sooner than later...
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

The resolution of timelapse is 1280*720 30fps, it may not be changed in the near future.
However, we've published a Media Maker program for you so that you can composite the original files from the SD card into the timelapse of higher quality. For more information, please refer to this thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-43383-1-1.html
2016-3-16
Use props
martin94b
lvl.3

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-17 07:49
The resolution of timelapse is 1280*720 30fps, it may not be changed in the near future.
However, we ...

That is ridiculous!

1) The Osmo can record 4k @30fps, why shouldn´t it be possible to record 4k @1 fps for instance?
2) The MediaMaker Program is no solution whatsoever. All it does is to make a movie from the jpg. Thats something tons of freeware programs can do as well, but that´s not what we want: Taking JPG in TimeLapse mode is limited to one image every 2 seconds, which is not acceptable at all!
Why not? Simply because
2a) that framerate is far to "hectic" for many TimeLapse purposes such as Hyperlapse.
2b) Due to the battery issue the final TimeLapse video is limited to about 1 Minute runtime - what a joke!
2c) it still requires stupid and time consuming Post-Processing
2d) That workfow is supported by any digital camera, why would I need an Osmo for that? OK, if one day (as being promised by DJI-Amy) the pre-programmable 2 axis rotation during TimeLapse will be implemented. But will that happen any time? Meanwhile I doubt it.

Osmo has been advertised (and still is) as a 4k camera for TimeLapse, no word about limited resolution in TimeLapse. So the Osmo is out of specification!

WHERE CAN I GET MY MONEY BACK???

3) As an alternative solution the Movie Maker could do something more smart:
Load a regular 4k video @30fps and then let the user choose about the cyclic order of frames.
Meaning: I want to use every 2nd (or 3rd or 10th) frame for instance. And then the Movie Maker automatically deletes all frames in between and generates a new 4k video file with the choosen images / frame rate.
That would even be an advantage over the regular TimeLapse recording, because the user can increase / decrease the framerate in PostProcessing even after the recording was done. And that way adopt the framerate to fit the perfect result.

THAT would be an acceptable work around.

And Adele, please don´t come with your over-euphemistic "Thank you for your concern ... DJI always listens to the customer ... we will consider it seriously" stuff, thats nothing but annoying and doesn´t help at all! Thanks

And by the way: ALL of the points I mention here have been mentioned multiple times before in this forum and other communications with DJI. Did anybody listen to that? I doubt it.

A very frustrated Osmo customer who still feels ripped off by DJI for not delivering what has been promised.
2016-3-17
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

martin94b Posted at 2016-3-17 19:37
That is ridiculous!

1) The Osmo can record 4k @30fps, why shouldn´t it be possible to record 4k  ...

Thanks for your time here!
As for your statement about "Osmo has been advertised (and still is) as a 4K camera for TimeLapse, no word about limited resolution in TimeLapse", I'd clarify that we hasn't ever promised anything about 4K TimeLapse. Anyways, we'll try our best to improve and meet your requirement to the most.

BTW, the new firmware v1.5.2.0 has been released, hope you'll get better using experience with the new update. For more details, please refer to our official website at http://www.dji.com/product/osmo/info#downloads.

Your continuous support will be highly appreciated!
2016-3-18
Use props
martin94b
lvl.3

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-18 10:36
As for your statement about "Osmo has been advertised (and still is) as ...

Well, that´s only half the truth!

In your technical data you state
- 4k resolution
and
- TimeLapse

As long as you do not specify otherwise, technical data is valid in a combined manner!!!

Example:
If you state environmantal condition 5°C-40°C AND
- 4k resolution
- 2.7K resolution
- Full HD resolution
the environmental conditions are valid regardless of the choosen resolution, right?

If you state "battery lifetime" with the limitation (typical, at 30°C and no gimbal movement): 30 minutes
you make clear that the battery lifetime might be limited if you use it at 5°C and running around. So combination of technical data "battery life" may not be combined with the technical data "environmental condition".

As for technical data "timelapse" you do not limit the technical data "resolution: 4k", thus it´s supposed to be valid in combination! And that´s exactly what your customers expect! But DJI does not deliver.

That´s why I (as many other customers) feel fooled about it.
And again: why shouldn´t 4k resolution be possible in timelapse? You record 4k @30fps and 4k @24fps, so why not record 4k also in 1fps for instance?

2016-3-18
Use props
wordsaremything
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-18 17:36
As for your statement about "Osmo has been advertised (and still is) as ...

DJI-Adela,
Martin94b is correct. Nowhere in any of the tech specs does it tell us the OSMO only captures timelapse video at 720p. In fact, I had to come here and make a post to find out the limitations. I too purchased this device thinking it can shoot 4k timelapse video.

The OSMO in my opinion has been a huge let down from day one. I'm not even sure mine is working correctly either. I have a support ticket open with DJI about the issue. There is excessive noise or grain on all videos recorded with my OSMO.

I have already had to send it back to DJI once when the firmware fried the WIFI and now this. DJI may not care, but these types of things have made me very cautious of buying any future DJI products. I was considering the entire ZNEMUSE camera line before this happened and I can tell you now there is no way I would spend that kind of money on a product when there have been so many issues and false statements regarding the OSMO.
2016-3-18
Use props
wordsaremything
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-17 14:49
However, we ...

That's not really a solution either. If I wanted to do that, I would just use After Effects or Premiere using the actual RAW files. This works, but is very time consuming and requires a really powerful computer.

I own a Panasonic camera and it will indeed process and create 4k timelapse videos internally and it does this rather well. I was hoping the OSMO could as well.
2016-3-18
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

martin94b Posted at 2016-3-18 18:32
Well, that´s only half the truth!

In your technical data you state

DJI is not meant to trick any of our clients! We may all have our own understanding about the words.
We understand your expectation and we always hope that we can meet our customer's and the market's needs to the most.

As regard to the reason why 4K timelapse in Osmo is not possible right now, to be honest, as you know,  it has four times as much resolution as 1080p, I'll have to say that the hardware is not compatible enough including many popular mobile devices. It may involve lots of issues.

Beg your understanding!
2016-3-19
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

wordsaremything Posted at 2016-3-18 22:47
That's not really a solution either. If I wanted to do that, I would just use After Effects or Pre ...

We're trying to help our clients get a better using experience.
Based on our mutual benefits, please understand that we, DJI, is keeping doing something for our customers.
Thanks for your support!
2016-3-19
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

wordsaremything Posted at 2016-3-18 22:43
DJI-Adela,
Martin94b is correct. Nowhere in any of the tech specs does it tell us the OSMO only ca ...

Anyways, thanks for your feedback!
We do apologize if there's any misunderstanding caused by our statements.

To get a better performance, please be noticed that we have officially released a new firmware update v1.5.2.0 which has improved the battery life by 40% and added the feature of muting the fan. You'll find many improvement in it. Hope you'll like it.
We'd like to get more feedback from you about the new firmware. If you have any problem, please contact us anytime.
2016-3-19
Use props
martin94b
lvl.3

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-19 10:54
DJI is not meant to trick any of our clients! We may all have our own understanding about the word ...

Sorry Adela,

I do not know about the technical limitations DJI keeps taking as a cheap excuse for not delivering what has been promised.
As I argued in plenty of posts there ain´t a technical limitation to record 4k @1 fps while the Osmo is already capable of shooting 4k@ 30fps. So whats your "problem"?

Osmo does not need to first take a jpg image and then puts together a video form those images on the fly - I understand that this ain´t possible with the Osmo architecture. But that´s nothing we request?!
Just further decrease the frame rate in 4k video: 30 fps and 24 fps are already supported, so why not lower it further to e.g. 12 fps, 5 fps, 2 fps, 1fps...?! The resulting processor load, data transfer rates etc will be much less than recording in 4k 30fps!

So please pass this on to your engineers or give us stupid customers a valid argumentation why that should not be possible - and then refund my Osmo immediatly!

The Specification is not a matter of "our own understanding about the words" as you try to get around with - it´s part of the contract I made with DJI when buying the Osmo.

I paid my money and thus fullfilled my part of that contract - now DJI deliver what has been promised or give me my money back!
2016-3-21
Use props
darkjudicator
lvl.4
Ukraine

for comparison - GoPro HERO4 Black can do timelapses with 0.5 sec intervals
2016-3-22
Use props
martin94b Posted at 2016-3-17 06:37
That is ridiculous!

1) The Osmo can record 4k @30fps, why shouldn´t it be possible to record 4k  ...

This is a pile of crap and a pack of lies!  On the DJI website they show time-lapse video that was shot with full motion control.  In the description they state that 2 axis motion control is available for more advanced users.  And this of course is on top of the fact that they inexplicably reduce resolution on this 4K device to a pathetic 720p. In the United States companies can get in a lot of trouble for false advertising and selling a bill of goods.  Oh, but I'm sure these features are all coming soon, right?!
2016-3-22
Use props
wordsaremything
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-19 18:03
Anyways, thanks for your feedback!
We do apologize if there's any misunderstanding caused by our s ...

DJI-Adela,
I contacted support about an issue with my OSMO having distorted or heavily pixelated skies. Support was communicating with me until I showed them a video of the problem. Now they are no longer replying to my emails. This just adds insult to injury. How can I show your company an example video of a problem I am having with the product? I don't think it is working properly and would like to have it replaced or repaired.
2016-3-22
Use props
fanse3a0c1c0
lvl.1

Netherlands

I to will now have to sell my osmo miblie and all accessories, batteries, stand, microphone etc as motion timelapse at 720p for only 30 minutes is a joke and not what I wanted.
2016-12-22
Use props
fanse770817d
New
Flight distance : 47001 ft
United States

Well, in my case the App was doing fine with 4k time laspe...then it updated....and it kicked it to 720p without letting me know.  Took a buncha timelapse and now I am sitting here with 4k Footage and 720p time-lapse. Very disappointed.

I think you guys need to take a good look at your iOS team.  They are dropping the ball and its making your company look bad.
2017-4-30
Use props
DemolitionMan14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-16 22:49
However, we've published a Media Maker program for you so that you can composite the original files from the SD card into the timelapse of higher quality. For more information, please refer to this thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-43383-1-1.html

Yea if you're going to recommend this tool you should probably update it so it works with the new macOS.  I tried it on 2 different macs and it didn't work on either one.
2017-5-2
Use props
Dodge-In-AZ
New
United States

I was having the same issue with the timelapse video only being in 720p. The solution is to set the OSMO to take video+images (or just images) the individual images will be in 4K. Then "sequence" import all the images into a video editing software (such Adobe Premier) and it will automatically take the images and create a sequence of the timelapse at 4K. This has worked great for me
2017-5-27
Use props
Dodge-In-AZ
New
United States

nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2016-3-12 03:06

I was having the same issue with the timelapse video only being in 720p. The solution is to set the OSMO to take video+images (or just images) the individual images will be in 4K. Then "sequence" import all the images into a video editing software (such Adobe Premier) and it will automatically take the images and create a sequence of the timelapse at 4K. This has worked great for me
2017-5-27
Use props
Håkan K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 262946 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

"Hi, this is the only resolution for time lapse"

At first I was stunned. So I think we have to difference between render in 720 and take pictures, using time lapse in 4k. The app will only render the time lapse in 720 but the pictures taken are in 4k. And can be used in post prod to create a time lapse in 4k,
2017-6-5
Use props
MaRmAr
New

China

RE: time lapse video resolution???

I bought DJI OSMO+  last week
I am feeling cheated.
Nowhere it was written that timelaps it is only 720
Using Adobe  Premiere is defeating the purpose.
DJI disappointed me, I intended to buy to buy drone but I already know that I won't buy DJI drone.
When i will return from holidays I will put the review  on youtube and other social media about DJI OSMO+ and certainly I will recall how you are cheating your customers!
Best RegardsBartosz K

2017-8-28
Use props
fans01cfb057
lvl.1
Flight distance : 211184 ft
United Kingdom

I am very disappointed in DJI.

I took delivery of my Osmo+ (and the FULL sports accessory pack) a couple of days ago and when running some tests, I discover that it cannot do what I bought it for - Time-lapse in 4k!

Your marketing materials (website etc) are purposefully misleading.

I own a mavic and love(d) what DJI do but you are leaving me a very dissatisfied customer. I am now in a tough situation as I have clients that are expecting high quality Time-lapse videos and I may have to let them down.

Not impressed at all.
2017-10-25
Use props
Robertneumann19
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1766394 ft
  • >>>
Poland

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-19 01:54
DJI is not meant to trick any of our clients! We may all have our own understanding about the words.
We understand your expectation and we always hope that we can meet our customer's and the market's needs to the most.

Actually DJI is a company which tricks the clients all the time, you always know better in any other cases but I do not want to mix topics here.
2017-10-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fans01cfb057 Posted at 2017-10-25 02:19
I am very disappointed in DJI.

I took delivery of my Osmo+ (and the FULL sports accessory pack) a couple of days ago and when running some tests, I discover that it cannot do what I bought it for - Time-lapse in 4k!

Sir, we never say Osmo+ can take Time-lapse in 4K, may I know the sample video which misleads you?
I have replied in another post: you can select interval shooting with RAW format and then edit to Time-lapse with third party program if you have this need.

2017-10-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Robertneumann19 Posted at 2017-10-27 21:20
Actually DJI is a company which tricks the clients all the time, you always know better in any other cases but I do not want to mix topics here.

Robert, I have replied your post in another thread, the case has been escalated, hope it will get sorted out soon.
2017-10-28
Use props
DJImpossible
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-18 01:36
As for your statement about "Osmo has been advertised (and still is) as a 4K camera for TimeLapse, no word about limited resolution in TimeLapse", I'd clarify that we hasn't ever promised anything about 4K TimeLapse. Anyways, we'll try our best to improve and meet your requirement to the most.

I will be returning my Osmo + today after reading this.  Thank you so much for acting transparent after being so ambiguous.  This is ridiculous!  I feel like I just bought an Osmo knockoff off Wish or Geek, at least there, you know what to expect with the gap in translation.  I would expect a highly regarded company such as DJI to hold themselves to a better standard!  This is unfortunate as I am part of your affiliate program and constantly suggest DJI products to my viewers.   I will need to make a video that addresses this issue so no one else gets scammed!
2018-1-24
Use props
DJImpossible
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-28 01:42
Sir, we never say Osmo+ can take Time-lapse in 4K, may I know the sample video which misleads you?
I have replied in another post: you can select interval shooting with RAW format and then edit to Time-lapse with third party program if you have this need.

Will going about it in this manner, keep the footage a 4k or 4000x3000 resolution image or will it still downscale to 720p?
2018-1-24
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

DJImpossible Posted at 2018-1-24 05:14
Will going about it in this manner, keep the footage a 4k or 4000x3000 resolution image or will it still downscale to 720p?

There are two ways:

Set the time lapse to “J+V” so that the individual JPEG files that are used to create the video are saved then use a third party program or DJI Media Maker to edit them into a timelapse, that should yield a 4K timelapse.

Set the Osmo for interval pictures, that will take a full RAW format picture at a fixed interval, which you can assemble later the same way.  This will be better quality, but more work, and you will have less flexibility in terms of the interval.  You may be able to take long exposure shots this way though (but I haven’t tried yet so I’m not sure).

You are correct though, DJI is VERY misleading on this, this is a 4K camera, so it is logical to assume it makes 4K timelapses, and nowhere in the marketing or DJI store do they mention that the timelapse modes are all 720p.  I too bought an Osmo+ mostly for the timelapse feature, and was very upset when I found out about this.  Fortunately the workarounds, while annoying, are not that difficult.
I do a video tutorial of the first way here (pardon the very bad audio in parts) here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Fe13TpUPI
2018-1-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

DJImpossible Posted at 2018-1-24 05:14

9245 explained very clearly about how to get high quality Time-lapse, please refer to his suggestions to have a try, sorry for the confusion caused.
2018-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules