Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Having An Issue - Any Advice Welcome
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iLuvMyPhantom
lvl.1

Hi, well I went out this morning to do my range test and I had an issue with props.  For a while now, maybe even since getting drone a few weeks ago, when it idles I will have a slow prop and sometimes two of them and not always the same ones....I have read that this is normal when idling but today when trying to take off the drone would lean sharply and one of the times it tipped over damaging two props.

Not sure what would suddenly be causing this; is this something the IMU Calibration helps with or might it be something else entirely?  Really appreciate any information anyone might have!
2016-3-12
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I think I would do an RC calibration just to make sure you are not getting some unwanted input.  After the RC calibration, I would test again. If you are just starting out, I would suggest Prop guards as well, they are really worth the minimal investment.  

The RC calibration can be found On the DJI Go app menu.  Start with  the Top Right hand corner of the main video screen , tap to open the menu, on the left menu tab you will see "Transmitter Icon" this is RC settings,  go to RC calibration and follow the instructions.
****Replace those props even if they have minor  damage .  Also take off firmly and deliberatly,  you dont have to go full throttle just make a smooth transition on the throttle.  You could also lower your expo settings from say 40 to 35 or 30 ( go slow) and see if you like these settings better.  They will be a little softer at the neutral but I find gives smoother flight.  If you go from say 40 to 60 the sticks become very touchy and sensitive.    If you make these changes make sure you are in standby mode ( Aircraft and Rc are On)  otherwise the settings will not stick.  Also press enter after each settings change.

Power off in this order as well to "Set" changes.

Turn off Aircraft -First
Transmitter -Second
Go- app - third

When Starting ALWAYS in this order:

Turn On Transmitter - First
Aircraft- second
- Go app -third

hope this helps- donnie
2016-3-12
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Have you done an IMU cal?  If not, that's the first thing I would do.  Be sure you do the calibration on very LEVEL (not the same as flat) ground  Use a level to check it in all directions beforehand.  After the IMU calibrated, do a gimbal cal before moving it.  Do your IMU calibration when it is COLD.  Try to get it as cold as you can , even close to freezing.  It will save you lots of warm up time when you fly.  My last calibration was at -16C.  It takes much less than a minute to warm up when I go out.  Also, whenever you do a firmware update, recalibrate.
2016-3-12
Use props
iLuvMyPhantom
lvl.1

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-3-13 00:37
Have you done an IMU cal?  If not, that's the first thing I would do.  Be sure you do the calibratio ...

I was thinking of trying that, just got a book leveled so I have a surface to put drone on.  I used a phone app called bubble level and its now showing 0 and 0 degrees; do you know if those apps are accurate enough?  Oh and no I have never done an IMU cal before this will be my first one; I did read about putting it in the freezer before doing it so definitely will do that.
Oh also is it ok to do inside with metal, etc near?  Does that have any bearing on an IMU cal?
2016-3-12
Use props
iLuvMyPhantom
lvl.1

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-13 00:36
I think I would do an RC calibration just to make sure you are not getting some unwanted input. ...

Hi Donnie, yeah did the RC cal but didnt get to test because a big rainstorm just came in.  Going to go ahead and do the IMU cal as well since I have never done one.  The prop guards are real iffy for me; I bought a set of them and noticed a big effect on flight behavior; hovering was not nearly as stable when a breeze was going and fast stops in the air became risky as when the drone would rear back to 'air brake' it would rear back much further and almost flip so I took them off.  The ones were the Summitlink ones, they seem a bit heavy and thick and I figure thats why I saw so much impact on behavior.
2016-3-12
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

iLuvMyPhantom Posted at 2016-3-12 10:47
Hi Donnie, yeah did the RC cal but didnt get to test because a big rainstorm just came in.  Going  ...

I agree once you master takoff and landing, remove them.  Now the IMU calibration, you dont have to FREEZE your aircraft,  If it is cool climate where you live place it outside.  Just cool it down a-bit.  this will help the wait time in cold weather.  Most important make suer you are on a perfectly level surface,  You can just use a bubble to check.  During the calibration, stay away from it because the bounce in the floor can effect it.  Only took mine about 10 min tops. Also when you do your Compass calibration do it in a wide open area away from metal, make sure transmitter is at least 10 feet away as well and no metal on your person, not even keys or change in pocket, do it right one time.  When you do the compass and IMU calibration correctly  dont keep doing them.  Only after a frimware update or a significant (Over 100 miles)  change from the original calibration.  Do it right once and leave it alone. If you notice drifting and a hard landing would be a reason to re-calibrate as well.  

Hope this helps.............- donnie  If you have the standard , save up for an advance or pro, they  are very impressive!
2016-3-12
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I wouldn't put it in the freezer to chill it.  I know many people say they do, but there's a chance of getting moisture on the insides when you take it out into the warmer air.  Just wait for the coolest time of day (early morning) and do it outside on level. Be sure to put it out early enough to cool to ambient outside before you start.  I last calibrated on a cool winter morning.  You can also put it on the air conditioner register if they are in the floor and you're in warm climate.  

I also forgot to mention earlier, be sure your compass calibration is done completely away from metal objects (included embedded reinforcing in cement).  I like to hold mine over my head when doing the compass cal, just to be sure there's nothing in the ground under it.  Of course, get rid of metal objects on your body beforehand.

I don't know the accuracy of the cell phone apps for leveling.  I have one but have never compared it to a spirit level (that hasn't been dropped).  
2016-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules