FESPA 2016 amsterdam with DJI Osmo
1630 13 2016-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
J C D
lvl.2

Netherlands

Here is my first attempt at a short movie about the signmaking business tradeshow in Amsterdam: FESPA.

I need to practise a bit more, kept running into some basic 'piloting' errors. The invert down up stays a problem for me... i CANNOT change this

Walking in circles round the HEXIS stand (at middle of movie) took me 3 takes. The gimball kept banking left and right, just losing it's horizon every time. Calibrating horizon is not doing any good, you can see with the bare eye it's slanted every time.

What i like is the hollywood style steady video, that still amazes me. Had an external mic connected (Rode Videomic Go) which was connected directly to the osmo, recorded static noise (Again!) so i start to wonder if my mic is broken or not...

here's the video, mainly showing the booths of the larger company's which matter in the signmaking business.
2016-3-12
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Cool trade show,the footage looks good
2016-3-12
Use props
dan1el101
lvl.2

Australia

footage looks awesome!
2016-3-12
Use props
J C D
lvl.2

Netherlands

Discovered that the RODE VideoMiC GO is prone to be sensitive (Read utterly useless) around 2.4GHZ wifi or like frequency. So i bought a microphone which cannot stand wifi signals. Be warned you all! Too bad i shelled out 79 EURO for a microphone with additional software (Red Giant-Pluraleyes) 45 EUR. So can throw it in the trash

DJI osmo makes some nice footage, but what a bunch of bad luck trails along with it
2016-3-15
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi,
"The invert down up stays a problem for me... "    Do you mean the upside down gimbal icon which appears in the right top corner of the screen? If it is, please update the firmware to v1.4.1.80 to solve the problem.
As for the gimbal performance, if you take footage in movement, by operating it properly with a little practice of balanced walk, it can work pretty well. Please refer to this tutorial at http://www.dji.com/product/osmo/info#downloads
When recording the audio, the noise from the fan will be improved in the next firmware update.

Thanks for sharing your nice video!
2016-3-16
Use props
ari_za
lvl.2
Flight distance : 77300 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

J C D Posted at 2016-3-16 01:01
Discovered that the RODE VideoMiC GO is prone to be sensitive (Read utterly useless) around 2.4GHZ w ...

I don't understand why they don't have a tethered solution i.e. plugging a cable from the OSMO to the smartphone device, like the DJI phantom has when you plug your smartphone into the Phantom Remote Control (RC).

It would save battery as there would be no need for a WiFi connection, and it would reduce interference -related issues such as these.

Could you make a video showing the WiFi interference you are experiencing with the mic? I'm quite curious. Maybe going up to a WiFi router and away and seeing if interference increases. Of course it doesn't help the smartphone is connecting to the OSMO itself over WiFi as mentioned..

So what mic have you tried that isn't susceptible to this interference?
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

ari_za Posted at 2016-3-16 17:32
I don't understand why they don't have a tethered solution i.e. plugging a cable from the OSMO to  ...

With WiFi connection, we can use the Osmo flexibly in a certain range of area, such as you can set up the tripod and take photos within a approximately 25m by remote controlling it with the DJI GO App.
Plus, the camera will rotate while shooting along with the gimbal seamlessly, it's not convenient to connect it to a wire cable.  Thanks for your feedback, though!
As for the solution of phantom, even though the App is connected to RC directly by a wire cable, the image is transferred via the wireless channel which would be easily interfered by the circumstances.
2016-3-16
Use props
ari_za
lvl.2
  • >>>
South Africa

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-16 12:27
With WiFi connection, we can use the Osmo flexibly in a certain range of area, such as you can set ...

Ok that makes sense, however when not being used as a remote for tripod etc i.e. when being used the normal way, I think it would make more sense for it to be connected via cable, even if just for saving battery.

and I think users should have the option to connect via wifi should they want to use it as a remote (up to 25m). It just seems like a waste of battery for both the smartphone and the DJI OSMO when the smartphone device is right next to it, yet all data is being transmitted via wifi. also as now being mentioned, the 2.4Ghz WiFi seems to be causing intereference with the microphone.

as for the phantom you say "the image is transferred via the wireless channel" - this is for image transmission from the Phantom -> RC. From the RC -> Smartphone, the image is transferred through the wire cable. For example, if your smartphone is on Airplane mode (i.e. no WiFi/ wifi turned off), the DJI Go App still functions, and you can see the image on your smartphone. So it should work if the OSMO has a USB port, we could plug the smartphone into the USB port on the OSMO. and save battery life of our smartphone device, the OSMO, and the image transmission quality should be better as there will be less interference in areas with dense 2.4GHz signal.

2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

ari_za Posted at 2016-3-16 18:33
Ok that makes sense, however when not being used as a remote for tripod etc i.e. when being used th ...

Thanks for your suggestion!
To meet your requirement, the Osmo need to be re-designed. Considering osmo is supposed to be a handheld device with the most flexibility and imagine that you wanna move the osmo freely with a wire cable connected to another device to get the best shooting angle, I'm afraid it's not quite convenient.
As regard to saving the battery, why do you think the design with a cable connection would work? Presently, the image is live feed in the DJI GO App, it's almost seamless. Just the quality of transferred image may be affected by the WiFi condition. However, balancing the pros and cons, I'm afraid the design with a cable connection may not be very feasible.
What do you think?
2016-3-16
Use props
ari_za
lvl.2
  • >>>
South Africa

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-16 14:09
Thanks for your suggestion!
To meet your requirement, the Osmo need to be re-designed. Considering ...

No problem

Regarding the wire connection, it will be like the microphone port which remains stationary. Just like when a mic is plugged into this port,  it doesn't affect the movement of the gimbal. There may be more to it which I am not thinking of, but maybe something worth looking into Or an integrated port in the smartphone holder would also work, with small adaptors for Apple devices or other devices with microUSB such as Android devices. Then there is no need for any wire Have a look at Feiyu Tech G4S for example of an integrated port.

Feiyu Tech G4s Showing integrated port:

With regard to saving battery, because the constant WiFi connection is not necessary when connecting via cable, the OSMO can save battery by having it's WiFi turned OFF as it does not need to maintain a constant WiFi connection to the smartphone to deliver the image transmission over WiFi, it will deliver it through the cable (the same way it is transferred from the Phantom RC to the Smartphone device).

And the smartphone would then also be able to save battery because it does not need to use it's WiFi connection, it will use the wire cable to receive the video from the OSMO, again like the Phantom RC and smartphone device.

Maybe something to look into with the R&D team. I'm sure they would have already considered it when designing the OSMO though..
2016-3-16
Use props
J C D
lvl.2

Netherlands

Here is a clip where you can hear the noise, in this rather noisy scene it looks like nothing. But in silent situations its much worse. Strangely enough this is not in every shot :X

The osmo needs some work, not only on software level. But indeed getting rid of the laggy screen. By just connecting it to a phone by a cable. Wifi is not the solution. Takes a while to turn on, and wait for the phone to re-connect to the Osmo Network.
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

ari_za Posted at 2016-3-16 20:21
No problem  

Regarding the wire connection, it will be like the microphone port which remains st ...

Thanks for your consideration!
Speaking of Feiyu Tech G4s, I'll make it short, I think each company has its own product ideas or concept which will determine the physical design and functionalities.
Our R&D Dept. will always take serious consideration thoroughly about your suggestions.
Well, your concern will be highly appreciated and look forward to more of your good ideas and feedback.
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

J C D Posted at 2016-3-17 07:24
Here is a clip where you can hear the noise, in this rather noisy scene it looks like nothing. But i ...

Our engineers will work on it and try to find a better solution for it.
Please pay attention to our official website for the update. Thanks for your support!
2016-3-16
Use props
J C D
lvl.2

Netherlands

DJI: Curious how you gonna solve the interference the Rode microphone has of 2.4GHZ with wifi signals... just gave up on rode, they offered me to send it in for a checkup. Yeah it will be just fine within parameters and i will get my mic back... nothing wiser. Should've bough a cheap china mic from aliexpress :*(
2016-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules