4K video VS 1080P/2.7k
9410 16 2016-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rex59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24354 ft
United States

I recently purchased a Phantom 3 advanced but immediately wondered if I made a mistake by not going with the Pro with the 4K video. Would I be correct to assume that since I have no way of viewing video in 4K on any of my current monitors, TV's, etc, that having something that records in 4K that spending the extra money for a professional model would be a waste of the additional expense?
2016-3-14
Use props
Nightingale
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44301 ft
Netherlands

We film a lot in 4K proffesionaly but we almost never deliver a 4K output to a client. The only think we use it for is that we can crop and eventually downscale it to 1080P. Same goes with 2.7K. The thing with the 4K phantom is that it shoots in 60mbit and 2.7K in 40mbit. So the 4K footage that you get has to be more compressed then the 2.7K of 1080P footage, but thats just an uneducated guess. :-)

Anyhow. 4K is nice but for doing most of your online/broadcast video work an advanced,... and heck! even en Phantom 3 standard wil do just fine. Its al about what and how you film it rather than with what you film it. Even an Phantom 3 standard can make beautiful pro-grade shots, and when you do some nice post production en grading to it,... :-)
2016-3-14
Use props
Nightingale
lvl.2
Netherlands

Maybe this video will help you. Its with Inspire footage but the basics are the same,...
2016-3-14
Use props
Fermin
lvl.2

Spain

Impresive and instructive video, very nice.
2016-3-14
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Nightingale Posted at 2016-3-15 00:41
Maybe this video will help you. Its with Inspire footage but the basics are the same,... https://www ...

Very nice tutorial!
2016-3-15
Use props
Rex59
lvl.3
United States

Nightingale, thanks for the great post and reply.
2016-3-15
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

4K video files soon become very large; several Gbs for just a few minutes' footage.  Considering most 'high definition' TV broadcasts are 720 horizontal lines, and most Blu-Rays are 1080p.  
2.7 K is 1520 lines and 4K is 2160 - twice the number of horizontal lines of Blu-ray definition.
So, you have to ask 'do I need even higher definition for what I'm watching?' when you consider that 2.7k and 4k won't even play back smoothly on most laptops and low to midrange PCs if theiir video graphics aren't up to the job.

In saying that, shooting in higher definition allows you to trim and zoom in without losing too much detail if you're final output is in 1080.

Do some footage in 1080 and 2.7 and see if you can a, play it, and b, notice any difference....

Cheers
Ian

2016-3-15
Use props
alexm42
lvl.2

United States

Footage shot in 4k and viewed on a 1080p display will look better than 1080p footage. There's a variety of reasons but it comes down to built in subsampling and 4:4:4 chroma information. Here's a video that explains why 4k footage looks better on a 1080p display in detail.

2016-3-15
Use props
Nightingale
lvl.2
Netherlands

@alexm42 true! But this is also what happens to 2.7K video. Ok, be it with less pixel information. But again, more than enough for you'r average online / broadcast project.
Thanks for the video, great explanation!

2016-3-15
Use props
Rex59
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for all of the excellent input!
2016-3-30
Use props
Rex59
lvl.3
United States

Sorry to piggyback this post on a previous but can someone explain to me why when I start a new thread it doesn't doesn't show up anywhere? I have successfully posted only 2 of maybe 5 or six new threads. What's really strange is that ALL of my threads will show up when I click on "posts" below "Personal Homepage" but not all of them appear anywhere. Only those posts that appear in the main body of my page actually are posted for viewing.  Any ideas?
2016-5-2
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Rex59 Posted at 2016-5-2 16:37
Sorry to piggyback this post on a previous but can someone explain to me why when I start a new thre ...

Only thing I can suggest is that this is a pretty active board,  so it is easy for your post to get moved off the front page rather quickly.
2016-5-2
Use props
Rex59
lvl.3
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-5-3 00:42
Only thing I can suggest is that this is a pretty active board,  so it is easy for your post to ge ...

Thanks Kneepuck, but even if I run a search for the missing posts there are no results. The posts in question are admittedly slightly critical of DJI but far, far less than many I have seen on these boards and certainly don't come close to breaking any of the forum rules. I can't really imagine that they would have been blocked by the moderators.
2016-5-3
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Rex59 Posted at 2016-5-3 03:31
Thanks Kneepuck, but even if I run a search for the missing posts there are no results. The posts  ...

You say your posts appear on your home page,  what happens if you click one of them there?
2016-5-3
Use props
Rex59
lvl.3
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-5-3 06:27
You say your posts appear on your home page,  what happens if you click one of them there?

Just to be sure we're both on the same page here. On the home page, there are actually two areas where your posts are listed; the first is in the main body(in white)where your posts and replies are shown. The other is in the left margin(in brown)under your picture. The ones listed in the main body I can find with a search, but the ones listed in posts that are in the left margin contain the ones that I can find and also the ones that I can't find with a search.
2016-5-3
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

Record in 4k and 2.7k, then crop/stabilize and cut to 1080p. You get a cleaner footage with great quality.
2016-5-3
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Rex59 Posted at 2016-5-3 05:40
Just to be sure we're both on the same page here. On the home page, there are actually two areas w ...

That's pretty weird.  I know that when I changed my avatar,  it did not display the new one for over a week. I finally had to clear my browser cache for it to start to display the new avatar,  and even then it was a few more days until it was consistent.  Maybe it would be worth a try clearing your cache.  I really don't know anything else to try,  unless,  have you tried it with a different device already?  This site has some issues for sure.
2016-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules