Phantom 3 Standard - DNG resolution
4092 12 2016-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JohnNS
New

Canada

Howdy,

It's been too windy here to fly my new Standard so I've been playing with the camera. I've been doing photography fairly seriously for many years now and always shoot RAW.

First thing I did was switch the camera to RAW (dng) - took a couple snaps, and checked them.. Pictures are tiny. Resolution is only 960x720 (4:3) and 960x540 (16:9). Jpeg are proper size, 4000x2250.

Latest firmware, reboots, etc. Anything I'm missing or are the DNG's going to be this useless to me?

Thanks,
-John
2016-3-13
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

You're looking at the image on your device.  You need to pull the memory card on the camera and put the pictures on your computer to view them properly.
2016-3-13
Use props
JohnNS
New

Canada

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-3-13 19:10
You're looking at the image on your device.  You need to pull the memory card on the camera and put  ...

That is pulled from the card to my computer.
2016-3-13
Use props
JohnNS
New

Canada

Figured it out - It's the way windows (10) reports it and displays it. With it's basic picture viewer it shows as the 960 resolution and the properties are listed as 960.

Inside Lightroom is fine.

Leaving this here in case anyone else runs in to it.
2016-3-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JohnNS Posted at 2016-3-14 09:26
Figured it out - It's the way windows (10) reports it and displays it. With it's basic picture viewe ...

Download yourself a copy of MediaInfo, it's free and a right click on any still or video image reveals the full details of the material.
2016-3-13
Use props
JohnNS
New

Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-13 19:43
Download yourself a copy of MediaInfo, it's free and a right click on any still or video image rev ...

I usually work with NEF files, I don't convert to DNG. Windows had no issues displaying NEFs so it didn't occur to me that DNG wouldn't show properly. What threw me was it showing the resolution as 960. There may be an update/add on I can use to get it to show properly, don't know if I'll bother though.

Knowing this I can just use the windows viewer as a quick preview and LR for any serious edits, thanks for the tip on Mediainfo though!
2016-3-13
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

JohnNS Posted at 2016-3-13 17:26
Figured it out - It's the way windows (10) reports it and displays it. With it's basic picture viewe ...

I'm curious.  I only have 10 on one computer, but I do use it for viewing some of my images.  Under what conditions do you see the size misreported?  I'd like to duplicate it.
2016-3-13
Use props
JohnNS
New

Canada

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-3-13 21:09
I'm curious.  I only have 10 on one computer, but I do use it for viewing some of my images.  Unde ...

Right click the image, properties, or from inside the view click anywhere on it and properties, then go to details.

I'll upload a picture later tonight to show how it's displaying on mine
2016-3-14
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

JohnNS Posted at 2016-3-13 22:57
I usually work with NEF files, I don't convert to DNG. Windows had no issues displaying NEFs so it ...

By far the best viewer I've used on Windows (or any platform) is Irfanview.  It's very fast & does what most people need it to do effortlessly.  Since I use a Mac now, it's unavailable to me other than on my work laptop, which is a real shame.

The keyboard shortcuts are easy to remember as well, like pressing the return key to switch between full screen or window, arrow keys or space bar to advance to the next file or just the letter E to see all the EXIF data & esc key to exit the program.
2016-3-14
Use props
bnewman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6285066 ft
  • >>>
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-3-14 15:38
By far the best viewer I've used on Windows (or any platform) is Irfanview.  It's very fast & does what most people need it to do effortlessly.  Since I use a Mac now, it's unavailable to me other than on my work laptop, which is a real shame.

The keyboard shortcuts are easy to remember as well, like pressing the return key to switch between full screen or window, arrow keys or space bar to advance to the next file or just the letter E to see all the EXIF data & esc key to exit the program.

IrfanView shows them as 960 X 720 as well.  But, as JohnNS said above, they show full size in Lightroom.
2017-5-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

bnewman Posted at 2017-5-7 19:52
IrfanView shows them as 960 X 720 as well.  But, as JohnNS said above, they show full size in Lightroom.

This is because these applications are showing you the thumbnail JPEG file embedded in the DNG file. You are not actually looking at the DNG file at all until you open it in a capable application.
2017-5-7
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-5-7 20:19
This is because these applications are showing you the thumbnail JPEG file embedded in the DNG file. You are not actually looking at the DNG file at all until you open it in a capable application.

yp, that is exactly it. jpg thumbnail is all u r viewing.. got shocked by that the first time i posted a dng on facebook ;)
2017-5-8
Use props
RPRIETO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1240 ft
Portugal

nigelw Posted at 2016-3-14 15:38

Ifranview is great, but for raw images I use UFRaw http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/. But I am no pro however...
2017-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules