This is old news
2016-4-13
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm not frightened of it, I used to fly a massive 23cc petrol helicopter!  I just don't think people should expose themselves to unnecessary risk.  But I guess there is no real right or wrong here.
2016-4-13
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

Yeah old news indeed.  The dickhead was messing with it to show of to the ladies in the audience.  He came unstuck as he tried to catch it off centre and the  machine fought to right itself.  I don't think it should have been flying over the crowd and he shouldn't have tried to catch it.  I would guess the operator would not be prepared for it or they were just as stupid.  I always hand catch - and two years later all my fingers are still here.
2016-4-13
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

talk2t_c Posted at 2016-4-13 10:11
Yeah old news indeed.  The dickhead was messing with it to show of to the ladies in the audience.   ...

Me too. Always hand catch. And yi get everyine to yell at me, i fly it towards me let go and let it auto break into my hands. Sometomes to.show off ill lie.down in a feild and let it auto land above me and ill catch it as it comes down. Now i said it, yell.at.me lol
2016-4-13
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

*to               
2016-4-13
Use props
oks4n4
lvl.2

Indonesia

I always hand catch my p3p and never had problems. U just unluck.
2016-4-13
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

oks4n4 Posted at 2016-4-13 18:33
I always hand catch my p3p and never had problems. U just unluck.

Knock on wood
2016-4-14
Use props
info
lvl.1

Netherlands

I've been warned more then ones and still i married here!
2016-4-14
Use props
hyrama5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13 ft
Spain

info@theater-ef Posted at 2016-4-15 00:28
I've been warned more then ones and still i married here!

no mention of prop guards, I use them and always hand catch and feel safe doing so
2016-4-18
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

hyrama5@hotmail Posted at 2016-4-18 21:25
no mention of prop guards, I use them and always hand catch and feel safe doing so

Same here.
2016-4-20
Use props
malvern
lvl.4
United Kingdom

https://www.facebook.com/Vocativ/videos/1213499365328963/
2016-4-20
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

malvern Posted at 2016-4-20 07:30
https://www.facebook.com/Vocativ/videos/1213499365328963/

LOL yea it might break skin if you fly full speed into somebody or yourself,  Nobody is trying to hand catch going full speed!
2016-4-20
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-3-14 07:45
Makes no difference.

Someone will try to sue DJI after they hurt themselves....Phantom or Inspire.  ...

All phantom purchases are reflecting others stupidity already   

like this tool http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid381733

countless other people are crashing and returning to apple because blame is being shifted to a defective drone from their own stupidity and ignorance.  i was thrilled when i heard apple and dji were teaming up, but with apple taking all of these blind returns dji is getting bogged down with pointless repairs and having to eat damaged/destroyed units.   apple doesn't check flight logs, just the word of the customer

2016-4-20
Use props
sdklug357
lvl.1
Flight distance : 143661 ft

United States

There are those who hand catch, myself included, and those who are terrified of the idea or just think it's stupid. I've ridden motorcycles most of my life and have talked to many who think it's insanely dangerous, too risky for them, or I must be a little off to be out on the road exposed to all manner of cars and trucks. I understand that everyone has their own comfort level when it comes to things, especially things they are unfamiliar with. Personally, I feel for every picture you see of an injury there are hundreds if not thousands of successful hand catches each day. They just are not photographed and displayed to the public. I'd love to see this subject fade away, but it is an internet forum and hence the pot is continually being stirred.  
2016-4-20
Use props
malvern
lvl.4
United Kingdom

ryan209 Posted at 2016-4-20 15:01
LOL yea it might break skin if you fly full speed into somebody or yourself,  Nobody is trying to  ...

You didn't watch it properly.  It doesn't break the skin, it breaks the props.
2016-4-20
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Seems relatively safe to me if you're careful, catching arm protects the face so worst case scenario is a sliced finger or two.

However prancing around on stage and being a dick is probably quite dangerous. Did he throw it into the crowd? What a dick wad, gives rest of us a bad name.
Why didnt the pilot power down immediately after he went for it. 2 dick wads for the price of 1 finger.
2016-4-20
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

OMG ! I am catching my P3A sometimes! And I am about to install black props! AM I endangering my very life?! Well, only if the GPS and everything else goes nuts and my drone assults me! But it's not an Inspire.. the legs are well away from the props, and as long as I hove above head level I see no danger IF I AM CAREFUL.....
2016-4-20
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft

Both are safe as long as you know what you u are doing. Just like anything else in life!
2016-4-20
Use props
Jeffo C
lvl.2
Flight distance : 159488 ft
Australia

I catch land my P2 quite often and if you are on a boat pitching back and forth with limited landing space it's the only way to go. I wear glasses so my eyes are protected and if you take your time with the Phatom above head height it can be done safely, that's if you have half a brain. I have also done 2 catch landings with my S1000, scary at first but I had no option as the landing gear failed to deploy.
2016-4-23
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Just completed my 100th hand catch with the phantom 4. Then there were the 300 and something phantom 3 hand catches and then another 300 with the phantom 2. Basically anything can be dangerous if the person is a moron. Don't forget, phantoms are idiot proof but not moron proof.
2016-4-23
Use props
lakesentrance.c
lvl.1

Australia

I'm still noobish, and at first the thought of catching the thing terrified me. no way. but i live at the beach and do daily stints from the beach, so handcatching on the sand has become a necessity. cardboard's a hassle to take, i tried that. i thought of a mat but i walk most times. the drones enough to carry.

but on grass or cement, i love doing the landing onto the struts. It's a bit like flying a plane ... the best most funest part, besides taking off, is landing. Adrenalin time. That's why we're doing half this stuff isn't it?
2016-4-23
Use props
TheRann4u
Second Officer

United States

With A phantom, upon returning to home if you let it hover at 6 feet it shouldn't be a challenge to catch!!
2016-4-26
Use props
oldcar82
lvl.2

United States

Username Here Posted at 2016-3-14 11:48
Get the whole story so you know what you're posting about.

He had all ready caught the Inspire but ...

Enrique..has always been a ladyboy....and full of high drama.....please.... that's a scratch
2016-5-16
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

I rather put trust in myself and hand catch, which I do very often, than some one else flying it for me to catch
2016-5-16
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9671732 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-4-13 02:25
Each to their own. If it bites or bights don't kiss it. ;-)
Anyway, there have been numerous RC rela ...

I'm cured, no more hand catches for me, I really like my face and hands.
2016-7-28
Use props
Wingsy
lvl.2

United States

Not only can it be dangerous, but technically speaking it is against the law (or will be after August 29). Here's why...

FAA regulations, Part 107 is for drones used for commercial purposes. For drones used for a hobby, part 107 exempts those drones and instead requires them to comply with a nationally recognized model aircraft safety code (read, the AMA, the only one around). The AMA rules say:

"Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch an outdoor model aircraft in flight while it is still under power, except to divert it from striking an individual."

And nowhere do I see a distinction made between an RC aircraft and a drone.

You can say I'm nitpicking but judges nitpick all the time.
2016-7-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Especially Judge Judy!! Hahaha
Anyway, I will reinsert this hyperlink, for any who missed it in my first post in this thread.
http://chrismeme11.over-blog.com/article-36258812.html
Look at all those incisions... Chop Chop Chop... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-7-30
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

helidan Posted at 2016-4-13 12:26
I'm not frightened of it, I used to fly a massive 23cc petrol helicopter!  I just don't think people ...

I think this is where the issue comes up.

many folks coming from heli's and high power RC have reason to be worried of the props.

it may take a while for the realization these phantoms are NOT the helis of past years.

completely different animals in all aspects other than they have props.....

good luck and have fun flying!
2016-7-30
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>

quanthonytrang Posted at 2016-3-14 07:36
Different!

The inspire has 4 black props. Black means it's more deadly. The phantom has white pro ...

hahaha you totally made my day
2016-7-30
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

helidan Posted at 2016-4-14 00:26
I'm not frightened of it, I used to fly a massive 23cc petrol helicopter!  I just don't think people ...

How in the world did that massive helo get you, the petrol and it's own weight off the ground with only 23cc ?

To each his own.....safety is a perception.....right Victor Kovats ?
2016-7-30
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

Man, entertainers deserve their money!

I could never do what they do and be good at it.
But I can catch and release by hand with no problem. It's dangerous (one cannot deny that) though.
2016-8-4
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-4-12 22:25
Each to their own. If it bites or bights don't kiss it. ;-)
Anyway, there have been numerous RC rela ...

That's reality.
Most of those pictures are accidents caused by RC crafts.

DJI products hover. Save any unexpected issue with terrible timing, one should be able to catch them. But it requires focus and doing it why the craft is above head level.
2016-8-4
Use props
OrlyP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36916 ft
Philippines

I hand-catch whenever I'm on a beach. I don't want sand to get sucked into the motor. Otherwise, I land on the ground. It just seems cooler as it requires a wee bit more skill not to topple over.
2016-8-4
Use props
goldfinv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 506181 ft
  • >>>
Nigeria

I always do a hand catch most times. Not me per say, since I'm doing the flying.  Friend does. Drone hovers above his head and he grabs the legs then I stop engines. Pretty safe to me. Cos his hands never come down till Drone is shut down
2016-8-6
Use props
goldfinv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 506181 ft
  • >>>
Nigeria

OrlyP Posted at 2016-8-5 07:41
I hand-catch whenever I'm on a beach. I don't want sand to get sucked into the motor. Otherwise, I l ...

The beach made me do hand catch more often now. Landing at the beach a month ago and the wind flipped my drone over about a ft from the ground(yes the wind was that strong). Had to do and emergency shut down while running to the drone at the speed of light. Luckily for me i only got a very hot rotor. Few more seconds and im sure it'd have smoked.
2016-8-6
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

goldfinv Posted at 2016-8-6 16:28
The beach made me do hand catch more often now. Landing at the beach a month ago and the wind flip ...

Lucky it didn't fry the motor,anyway when flying at the beach bring a piece of cardboard to land on,it will keep the sand out of motors and provide a flat spot to land on.
2016-8-7
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-7-30 13:28
Especially Judge Judy!! Hahaha
Anyway, I will reinsert this hyperlink, for any who missed it in my f ...

LOL

They may make a new THRILLER Movie Series based upon that article now! or change the name of the SHAW thriller series (which is stale now)  to DRONE SLICER  

As far as the pork test, not too many of us can be as lucky as having all that fat protection!

I only catch it now, mainly because of the sandy areas I fly.  But I have to state for the record:
I am always careful to make sure it is flyong above my face, always to the right side, and I walk to it after it hovers.  It is also windy in my area, so it can move sometimes when it hovers, so I am extra careful then, and more recently since I have more movement at hover.  And never hold it from the bottom piece of the landing section, becauseit can spin around that axis.  

2016-8-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Not enough protective flubber, And that would be who's fault? ;-)

With drones becoming increasingly prevalent in recreational and professional fields, drone crashes are also becoming more common. Whether it is due to a freak accidents, or pilots that don’t know what they’re doing, drones are crashing into people. As this problem increases, drone companies are crash testing their devices more and more in order to minimize human damage. Sometimes the best human stand-in is a pork roast, and that is exactly what these companies and research labs are using. Check out the slow motion video below of a drone blade impacting a large pork butt.

If there was ever list a videos you weren’t expecting to watch, a spinning plastic blade crashing into a pork roast would probably make the list. Believe it or not, this research actually provides useable data to drone manufacturers that will help make their technology safer for consumers. Aalborg University’s Drone Research Lab in Denmark is conducting this research, and they are pioneering the knowledge in drone crash testing.

Essentially, a drone will be attached to the aluminum trolley and then catapulted towards the medium being studied. The test shown in the video was for a relatively small drone, but the research lab is hoping to scale their technology up to test for much larger devices. Currently the maximum speed of the drone testing equipment is 15 meters per second, which is representative of most drone crashes.
As new technologies are pioneered, there are often entire industries devoted to making sure they are safe, and protecting the general public. In case you were needing a human substitute for some experiment you were doing, you too can use a pork butt for testing, as they are actually pretty great human substitutes. Engineering can bring you to some pretty interesting places, like building a rig to ram spinning drone blades into pieces of pig.

RedHotPoker
2016-8-7
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-8-7 14:19
Not enough protective flubber, And that would be who's fault? ;-)
https://youtu.be/QQoTQZcwZWE

They should try it on a real pig, to get the full affect.
2016-8-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yeah, have you ever tried catching one? ;-)

RedHotPoker

image.jpg
2016-8-9
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules