Inspire 1 Won't Fly Straight
4238 14 2016-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Czyka
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3784321 ft
  • >>>

I cannot get the Inspire 1 to fly in a straight course.  If I push forward on the stick it straifs to the right, when pull back on the stick it straifs further to the right.  If I were to move the sticks exactly forward and then back multiple times the Inspire 1 would literally exit stage right.

I have tried calibrating the RC sticks and callibrating the compass.  I am using the most recent RC firmware and the previous to most recent aircraft firmware.

Can someone please advise?  This is a new brand new Inspire 1 with X3.  My previous Inspire did not have this issue.

Thank you for your assist.

Czyka
2016-3-16
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you post a few pictures? Sitting flat on a table front and back.
2016-3-16
Use props
Czyka
lvl.4
  • >>>

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-17 06:32

Photos front and back
IMG_4141.JPG
IMG_4143.JPG
2016-3-16
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Inspires haven't flown straight ever since V1.3 of the firmware.
Tangential drift happens, even with a good IMU / RC cal and GPS signal.
2016-3-16
Use props
Czyka
lvl.4
  • >>>

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-3-17 07:20
Tangential drift happens, even with ...

I am also having excessive gimbal tilt.  The odd part is if I adjust the gimbal tilt while facing one direction, it is not correct when I turn 180 degrees.  It is off again and needs adjusting again.  I do not recall seeing either of these issues on the first few flights with this particular Inspire and I don't recall ever seeing either of these issues on my previous Inspire.  I only began noticing these issues following the most recent RC firmware update.  The gimbal tilt is horrific since the update.  I have been flying Inspire 1 for two years.  This is the worst performance I have seen yet.
2016-3-16
Use props
david.p.mann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you flying in windy conditions with the wind direction perpendicular to your flight path?  If so, the Inspire 1 will drift sideways in the direction the wind is blowing WHILE IT IS MOVING FORWARD OR BACKWARD.  Once stopped, and hovering, the I1 will hold its position very well even in 20+ mph winds.

It has been a few months since I tested this in detail, but what I found in August 2015, when I tested this extensively, was that the Inspire 1 and the Phantom 3 Pro that I owned hold their hover position extremely well in winds of 15-20 mph.  HOWEVER, if you attempt to fly straight forward or backward in a crosswind, the Inspire 1 and P3Pro will drift sideways significantly with the wind.  On the Flight Records, if you go forward and backward 6 or 7 times with a crosswind coming directly from the left or right, the I1 and P3Pro flight path will be a Zig-Zag pattern. The individual forward and backward flight record segments are perfectly straight - not curved (assuming the wind speed is constant), but the aircraft will continuously drift in flight in the direction of the wind. Of course, million dollar aircraft that are not using GPS lock and a programmed flight path will do exactly the same thing.

You can test if wind drift is your current issue by flying back and forth with a cross wind and you will see sideways drift (flight record path is a zig-zag pattern). Then fly forward and backward multiple times in the same direction as the wind is blowing and you should see zero sideways drift in this case.  The flight record forward and backward path traces will lie directly on top of each other.

2016-3-17
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Czyka Posted at 2016-3-16 18:55
I am also having excessive gimbal tilt.  The odd part is if I adjust the gimbal tilt while facing  ...

Also try an IMU calibration as well.  Check your props make sure they are not warped.  You said you did the RC calibration, perhaps try it again.  The New firmware is supposed to address some of the gimbal issues as well.   One of your Motors may be getting weak as well resulting in the drift right .

Good luck , let me know if anything fixes it-  donnie
2016-3-17
Use props
Ian Zaldivar
New

Belize

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-16 14:32
My kind sir, are we to actually now live with Inspire never flying straight? Or is there a way we can downgrade firmware to when it had wind compensation?
2019-8-31
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Ian Zaldivar Posted at 8-31 13:47
My kind sir, are we to actually now live with Inspire never flying straight? Or is there a way we can downgrade firmware to when it had wind compensation?

Not at all, the lion's share of Inspires is flying straight, wind or not. If she's not flying straight and compass/IMU calibration can't eradicate the issue, then there's something wrong with GPS or compass module, or IMU sensors, or RC calibration. She must fly straight, assuming properly calibrated RC sticks. Some Inspires may wobble a bit, but nothing dramatic. She must execute RTH command no matter what ... If she doesn't, something is broken and no FW can fix it ...
2019-8-31
Use props
fansf5eb0802
lvl.2
Flight distance : 517448 ft
Belize

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-3-16 15:20
Tangential drift happens, even with a good IMU / RC cal and GPS signal.

So it's normal for my inspire 1 drone to drift out of line while trying to fly straight forward?
2019-11-4
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

You have to modify the parameters to fix it.  Somethings need to be loosened and some tightened.
2019-11-7
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

AntDX316 Posted at 11-7 20:26
You have to modify the parameters to fix it.  Somethings need to be loosened and some tightened.

BS!!! What parameters, would you elaborate??? Gee, Anthony, when are you going to smarten up???
2019-11-8
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

c
2019-11-8
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

AntDX316 Posted at 11-8 14:04
advanced_function.height_limit_enabled_0    2 2 2

flying_limit.max_height_0                   1000 1000 1000

And that's the whole problem: I don't have qualifications nor urge to mess with a code. Therefore your's smart (not) advice applies to a handful only of those who feel the need and know how.
2019-11-8
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 11-8 15:12
And that's the whole problem: I don't have qualifications nor urge to mess with a code. Therefore your's smart (not) advice applies to a handful only of those who feel the need and know how.

I appreciate your attention for my post but if you don't know other areas that I know, you shouldn't dismiss them as other people wouldn't get what they could get.  It's still wiser to not modify anything and always use stock.  You need certain skills and as you say, qualifications because when things start to go wrong you need to have the other skill and knowledge ready to use otherwise something could go totally wrong.
2019-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules