Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ok to fly indoors/no GPS when "Compass calibration needed" alert?
1420 5 2016-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

I was wondering if it is ok to fly the phantom indoors without GPS when the compass error notification is present in the aircraft status. Thanks.
2016-3-16
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

I think it is ok as it's in ATTI mode without GPS.  You could just calibrate it, no?
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

If there is a compass error, you  won't be able to start the motor, you need to calibrate the compass and make sure there is not much magnetic interference. If there is no GPS signal, it will turn to ATTI mode which means you need to hold the position by yourself with the help of VPS.
2016-3-16
Use props
anthonytori
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I was going to post a new thread since I ran into an issue indoors today. I'm trying to run the battery cycles, but living in a high rise in the middle of the city makes it difficult to just run outside and drain the battery to 50%. I did read that flying indoors works so I decided to try it out. I initiated auto launch and as soon as it went up to a foot or two it started to drift all over the place. I tried to control is with the RC, but it was drifting in different directions suddenly and went off my wall (putting decent scratches in it) then into my couch. Needless to say, flying indoors wasn't a good experience for me. Anyone know why this sudden drift would occur?
2016-3-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

anthonytori Posted at 2016-3-17 15:21
I was going to post a new thread since I ran into an issue indoors today. I'm trying to run the batt ...

Yes, it is quite simple, indoors you have no GPS to stabilise the aircraft. The VPS system may not have been able to see a recognisable pattern so you were left flying it in a purely manual or ATTI mode.

It is quite OK to fly ATTI mode, but it would be wiser to take it outside and practice flying in that mode while in a larger area.

2016-3-16
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-3-17 12:17
If there is a compass error, you  won't be able to start the motor, you need to calibrate the compas ...

I hate to say this to a person with DJI in front of their name but NO NO NO!

It is a horrid and one of the most dangerous as far as injury goes to fly indoors with GPS on.  

If you fly indoors with any mode but ATTI, you better have some gear on to be safe.

EXAMPLE REASONING: First let's start with the basics. Bad to no GPS signal indoors.  I have a large house. In the middle of it, I get no GPS signal but I should;t be in GPS modes.

The WONDERFUL and one of the reasons I love the DJI birds like the Phantom is because of the VPS (Visual Positioning System) that works in ATTI mode.  Think of it like a GPS for your house, or warehouse or wherever you are indoors but with no GPS.  It is those cameras on the bottom of the bird.  The VPS, the cameras on the bottom of the bird have ocular visual systems that can "See" the ground now and I'm told that somehow it can see horizontally now as well.

So it will let the bird know when you are coming close to the ground to slow down for landing and things such as this.

If you were say in Sport Mode and you brushed across the RTH button and you have your FailSafe height set to even just 20 meters, it will race to your ceiling at about 50mpg and absolutely obliterate your bird to the point where you will use all of your DJI care.  You won't even be able to find all of those pieces.

A UAS with GPS indoors is a cardinal sin. DO NOT DO IT!

So to answer your question make sure you are flying in ATTI mode with VPS ON. If you don't have VPS on, it could drift.  Don't land on things like glass tables because the VPS system is confused by strange patterns and clear surfaces (like water).

Off box.

Fly safe.
2016-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules