Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4 RC Controller dead after RC update
1290 17 2016-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dpdurst
lvl.2
Flight distance : 265830 ft
United States

New RC with Phantom 4, completed all firmware updates. When the RC was complete I powered off controller and aircraft and unplugged Samsung s6 smartphone. Plugged back in and turn on RC Controller and lights flicked and went out. No more lights, will not power up, will not charge. Just a hissing tone like a cap has popped.

So far the first support person tried to help even though I explained the above and sent an article to hold some buttons and power up the controlller (remember doesn't power up nor do lights come on when power plugged in) The second person that it as the Aircraft and wanted to troubleshoot the battery. Finally back to the Controller and have to send it in but wait another 7-14 days and they won't send one now because they are sending product to advance purchasers (I purchsed Mar 1 as well)

Manager won't speak to me about the issue, asked to return the entire product but support says they can't accept since I bricked the controller.

I did get the MRA shipping label but nothing else

first ticket #270820
second ticket and I assume the one we are working off of but who really knows #270846and now a third ticket opened up.. really are we that messed up right now?  #270851

Anyone from DJI want to chime in here ? I'm really wanting to take the 5lb slug hammer to it and send it back gratis on me..I'd really like a replacement sent while I'm sending the bad one back to save some time. I wish someone would be interested in the issue or just say they really don't care.

2016-3-16
Use props
david.p.mann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well that sucks.  I would be extremely disappointed if that happened to me.  If your RC is making a hissing noise and no lights come on when plugged in to charger - I would unplug it and not attempt to turn it on or charge it again.  I would be concerned that the LiPo battery could be damaged or another capacitor was about to pop.  It's a pain, but box it up and send it in as an RMA.  Do you happen to have a P3 or Inspire C version RC that you could use with the P4 until you get a replacement RC?  
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Would you please shoot a demo video to show me the remote condition?  I will help you check the case.
2016-3-16
Use props
dlew21
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't know if this will help, but I had trouble with mine today.
Some notes for everyone.

My smartphone did NOT work with the controller.  May iPad did

You have to activate the Drone by logging in.  You will get an actual activation screen.  Until this happens nothing will work.

However you are saying that you have absolutely no charge at all??  
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

I'm sorry you are having an issue, and as Amy said can you post a video of the RC and what happens when you push the power button.
And I don't know why you have 3 tickets, did you email or call different times as a new person with an issue?
And I am looking at your tickets and I think you started new emails so that's the reason for new tickets.
I do not see anywhere where you were told you bricked the RC and cannot return it.
I will go over this with management tomorrow. In the meantime, please make a video of the RC and showing you trying to power it up and I will have management view the video.
And please do not start a new ticket.
I also see and old ticket for a P3S and they sent you a shipping label a few weeks ago and there was no response from you.
Then today you replied stating you got another RC and problem solved. I'm not understand that and can you please explain.
2016-3-16
Use props
dpdurst
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-17 12:35
I'm sorry you are having an issue, and as Amy said can you post a video of the RC and what happens w ...

DJI-Ken

The P3S issue was where the Aircraft and Controller stopped talking to each other. I opened a ticket up for that and asked if I could get another aircraft or controller would that help out in troubleshooting to only send back the parts in question. Support said yes, so I got ahold of another controller and aircraft. The controller then binded up to the aircraft and stayed that way after a power off. So I purchased another controller and that issue was resolved. I did update the ticket to close it and noted it was the controller. But its not closed.
2016-3-17
Use props
dpdurst
lvl.2
United States

Here is the link to the video, its 116 megs so...

The controller as noted is warm down where the lights are. I pointed this out in the video, I pushed the power switch a few times and nothing. Even with power plugged in there is nothing. There is a hissing or tone coming from the bottom area around the lights. Sounds like a Cap hissing which would explain why its dead. I don't believe the firmware update had anything to do with this, just happened right after that during a  power on.

DJI-Ken, yea nothing we talked about I can see in the support tickets at all. But some of the things said really worked up my blood pressure. I just want a new controller and not wait 7-14 days. Nothing more than this.. I had a support ticket with MRA and had the unit boxed up, this morning I see that is closed now.. Frustrating to say the least...

Click the link to download the video and if I can get 1 support ticket number to work from that would be great!

http://dpdurst.ipage.com/temp/p4_controller.mp4

2016-3-17
Use props
dpdurst
lvl.2
United States

I was able to get the tone sound to come out better, here is a shorter video of just that part. Note its been 19 hours and the sound is still there.

http://dpdurst.ipage.com/temp/rc_sound.mp4
2016-3-17
Use props
icsrz
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I hope you get your issue resolve soon. Thank God I cancelled my order with DJI and ordered from Apple. Easy return. If this happens to my P4 when it comes, I'm going to shutdown my confidence with DJI and I'm going to the dark side.-Yuneec!
2016-3-17
Use props
dpdurst
lvl.2
United States

Honestly I won't wait long, it shouldn't have taken any longer than the phone call yesterday to resolve this issue. I work in a company as a Level 3 support person and this would have been resolved yesterday on the phone if it was our company. I'll leave it at that.
2016-3-17
Use props
dpdurst
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken, DJI-Amy -

I'm going to need something here other than silence, can you tell me anything just yet. As noted in the last post I made, this should have been handled yesterday on the call and I'm not going to be much more patient with waiting on an answer that should be nothing but "We'll send you another controller ASAP and here is the MRA to return the bad one" If you can't tell me this will happen, then tell me now and we will save everyone time. Thanks!
2016-3-17
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

dpdurst Posted at 2016-3-17 17:39
DJI-Ken, DJI-Amy -

I'm going to need something here other than silence, can you tell me anything ju ...

So you will have to send the controller and phantom to Carson California for repair. Trust me I've tried to get them to replace my new DOA phantom 3 with a new one so I wouldn't have to wait for repair and they won't, so you will have to wait like the rest of us.

Expect shipping to take 5-7 days (7 for me). And 2-3 weeks for repair and 5--7 for shipping back. So all in all you are looking at 4-5 weeks sadly.
Oh and if your controller can't be repaired then they will send a refurbished unit. In the past refurbs came dirty and scuffed (not really refurbished) but since the p4 is new, they might be forced to send a new remote if it can't be repaired.

2016-3-17
Use props
dpdurst
lvl.2
United States

Just the controller, the aircraft appears fine and connects up and still powers up fine so not sending that unless they want it.
2016-3-17
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Canada

dpdurst Posted at 2016-3-17 18:40
Just the controller, the aircraft appears fine and connects up and still powers up fine so not sendi ...

They will want it. You keep all the accessories/batteries  but they need the phantom 4 and remote so they can rebind the remote and test if it works with your p4. So
You should of got an email with instructions on how to send it in, it usually says send in the aircraft and remote. I just don't want you to send the remote in without the p4 and they then tell you they can't proceed without the aircraft,. Make sure it said only to send the remotein , if it says both in that email then send both, or you will be waiting 1-2 months.
2016-3-17
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Canada

dpdurst Posted at 2016-3-17 14:29
Honestly I won't wait long, it shouldn't have taken any longer than the phone call yesterday to reso ...

I agree with you.
2016-3-17
Use props
dpdurst
lvl.2
United States

I have a few emails back and forth with DJI, I think it may come to something I can agree to very quickly with resolving the issue.
2016-3-17
Use props
dpdurst
lvl.2
United States

DJI, thanks for the few emails, however the lack of any response after that shows no intent to resolve the issue. You guys won't even attempt to call back and discuss via phone even though you have a valid number and still say you can't reach me as there is no answer.

I will continue with Paypal at this time as I no longer wish to own or have a product that can't be supported. Lesson learned thanks for your time appreciate the little bit of interest this has caused.
2016-3-18
Use props
dpdurst
lvl.2
United States

For those interested, almost 2 weeks later I get a phone call. Issue resolved and I won't be purchasing another DJI product at this time. I'm moving on to something else. But I will enjoy both my Phantom 3's that I have.
2016-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules