Inconsistencies and Contradictions in the User Guides
1161 10 2016-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
craigrogers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 168445 ft
United Kingdom

The user documentation available online is shockingly terrible.  I'm not in a position to check if the provided documentation is the same as the online version, I will confirm later.

What we have to remember here is these are not toys or mobile phones, but a serious peice of equipment that can cause dangerous accidents if not used correctly.

So far I have found 2 inconsistencies and contradictions in the user manuals.   DJI, you really are walking a dangerous line of risk with these errors.

First, the User Manual talks about Obstacle Avoidance on Failsafe RTH;

Here is an excerpt from the current (as of 17 March 16) user guide, Page 13

Failsafe

Failsafe

Yet on Page 15 we have

Untitled.png

Well? Does it?  Doesn't it?

Another I've found is battery charging;

On Page 27, it tells us to power on the battery to charge it if it's above 95%

Power on

Power on

Yet on Page 3 of the Battery Safety Guidelines you state

Power off

Power off

Well, is it on or off?  Is my house going to burn down???????

These are really silly errors in documentation that you really need to get right.

Be interested to see if anyone else has picked up on any inaccuracies.
2016-3-17
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

I don't know about the first one with RTH and the avoidance because I don't have a P4 but the battery thing I did know about and I believe they meant to say that if it's above 95% it's an exception to turn the battery on before plugging in the charger, they just didn't say that.
2016-3-17
Use props
craigrogers
lvl.2
United Kingdom

What is the reason for the power on above 95%?  Is it a way of conditioning?
2016-3-17
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

craigrogers Posted at 2016-3-18 01:26

No ... but if you try to charge a battery that has 90+% charge, when you plug it in, it won't charge unless you switch the battery on.
2016-3-17
Use props
citivas
lvl.2

United States

Yeah I found the manual pretty poorly done too.  Even just in basic organization.  I was reading it linearly and at won point they were using jargon for specific stick commands for some of the new intelligent flying features before they had even gotten to describing the basic stick commands and what the jargon meant.  I had to skip forward to read it then go back again.
2016-3-17
Use props
mrolrac
lvl.1

Cyprus

I would have thought it a very good idea if DJI extracted all the very many good bits of information, about all the many matters users need to know about that have been provided by members on this forum and put them into one thread (or better still give it its own section on the website) that only DJI can edit. That way everyone would have a central place they could go to find the latest / clearest 'emerging' information, instead of having to trawl for ages throughout the forum trying to locate bits of information about various aspects.  A regularly updated online manual correcting / clarifying areas that members have highlighted as wrong / misleading / contradictory wouldn't be a bad idea either DJI. Most of the effort on this is coming from your customers, the least DJI could do is allocate some resource to collating / managing that information and put it in in a central and easily accessible place.
2016-3-17
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

craigrogers Posted at 2016-3-17 09:26

I think it is a case of " Lost in Translation"  DJI is a Chinese company and I think some things just get missed because of this fact or or not explained well enough.  I find this in a lot of electronics that come over from Asian countries.  
Also on the RTH  : Keep in mind that those sensors will only work if you have ideal  conditions with the lighting.  My bet would be to play it safe and set the RTH at least 5 meters higher than the highest obstacle in your flying area .  Remember return to Home  or "GO Home"  is set in Meters  mine is at 125M so about 410 feet, plenty high in my area.  

They also dont explain things very well, like the battery information and charging, it is confusing.

We just have to ask questions and help one another.  

All the best to you and yours- donnie
2016-3-17
Use props
mrolrac
lvl.1

Cyprus

It would be good to have a section in the manual dedicated specifically to calibration.....what to calibrate / when to calibrate / how to calibrate.....a DJI video tutorial specifically about all the different types of calibration and how to do them would also be useful.
2016-3-17
Use props
Craig Rogers
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I don't think that the translation excuse is acceptable.  We've all seen cheap products from China with poorly written, sometimes nonsense English. However,  DJI are a market leader with a good product base.   It's not as if they have no presence in the US where the manuals could be written/translated.  
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

Also, look at the section for flight logs. It says something like, use DJI Go app and to get drone flight logs into PC. No mention DJI Assistant.
2016-3-17
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Craig Rogers Posted at 2016-3-17 13:45
I don't think that the translation excuse is acceptable.  We've all seen cheap products from China w ...

I agree it is not explained well,  I was just providing what I think the Problem may be.  I am so glad we have the forum to clarify issues,  no if I could just have a forum for my Samsung LED TV I would be happy.  (Rhetorical)

Have a great Day and Fly safe-  Donnie
2016-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules