Gimbal gets HOT just sitting...
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JustGoThere
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41778 ft
United States

Hey All!
After spending some time within the DJI Go app, while the Phantom is basically just sitting there powered up...
(probably spent a good 20 minutes or so just dinking around with the app while the unit sat there...)

After turning off the unit, I noticed that the gimbal and camera were extremely hot...

I have taken it out for a couple flights since then in order to make sure the camera and gimbal was still functioning correctly, there doesn't seem to be any issues...
Is this normal? I'm assuming during flight that the prop wash keeps the unit cool during flight...

Just want to make sure it's "normal" for the gimbal to get so warm powered up with no airflow...

Thanks in advance!!!

2016-3-18
Use props
XboneDrone
lvl.2

Yes it is normal. I have a Standard and while it is turned on and sitting idle my camera does the same thing. No problems with capturing pics or videos while in flight. My guess is there are no internal fans to cool the camera or motors.
2016-3-18
Use props
JustGoThere
lvl.4
United States

XboneDrone Posted at 2016-3-18 16:42
Yes it is normal. I have a Standard and while it is turned on and sitting idle my camera does the sa ...

Thanks so much for the reply!
2016-3-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If I plan on leaving my Phantom 3 Pro' turned on for an extended period of time, as an example, using the onboard flight SIM, I set it on top of a double cooling fan that points towards the ceiling.
I also place my batteries and both 100w chargers on these fans while charging the intelligent flight batteries.

RedHotPoker
2016-3-18
Use props
JustGoThere
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-3-18 17:22
If I plan on leaving my Phantom 3 Pro' turned on for an extended period of time, as an example, usin ...

nice info about the cooling fan, good choice! thanks!
2016-3-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Seems like A "Why didn't I think of that?" Moment.
But I did think of it, so sharing the thought is only prudent. Hahaha

Cool. . .

RedHotPoker
2016-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules