Go Home feature
1197 15 2015-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
coraldragon
New

United States

Sorry if this is a repost of an old question, but I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for!

How does the GO HOME feature get set up? Is it automatic from the point when you take off, or do you have to do something to turn it on?

Also I use the vision app and I read that it updates its go home position every two seconds,  so does this mean my gps phone is always the home point? And if so how do you activate it?

2015-1-10
Use props
momochi
lvl.2

United States

The Phantom locks in GPS mode at your takeoff position and will remember that location as your home point as long as the Phantom has good GPS lock. If you have switched over to Naza M mode, than you now have Dynamic home position feature which is your phone or tablet location. The Phantom, out of the box is set for GPS flight mode and has RTH feature active.
2015-1-10
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

momochi Posted at 2015-1-11 03:36
The Phantom locks in GPS mode at your takeoff position and will remember that location as your home  ...

Correct. But must also do the compass calibration at your flight location(the phantom dance, some call it)
2015-1-10
Use props
momochi
lvl.2

United States

tonyphantom147@ Posted at 2015-1-11 03:39
Correct. But must also do the compass calibration at your flight location(the phantom dance, some  ...

true that  
2015-1-10
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

Yeah, but not necessary before every flight, only if flying in a total different area. But then again, some calibrate the compass before every flight.
2015-1-10
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

markus2015 Posted at 2015-1-11 03:47
Yeah, but not necessary before every flight, only if flying in a total different area. But then agai ...

It's better to sacrifice 10 to 15 seconds than to risk the cost of the Phantom.
2015-1-10
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

A matter of opinion - DJI claims it's not needed and my experience over 14 months shows the same. When you figure in the possibility for bad calibrations (large metal objects, magnetic sources nearby), I feel safer staying with a previous (proper) calibration.

I think if we took an infinite number of newbies and had them do an infinite number of NAZA dances, we might introduce more errors than we solve.....
2015-1-10
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-11 03:51
It's better to sacrifice 10 to 15 seconds than to risk the cost of the Phantom.

I do it every single time, sometimes twice if I am not happy.
2015-1-10
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Slight correction, dynamic home point, which is off by default, is a setting in the Vision app and does not need NAZA to be setup.  That said; I would NEVER fly without NAZA, even for beginners!
2015-1-10
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

tonyphantom147@ Posted at 2015-1-11 04:05

I do also,  never had any mishap due to compass error.  Only 1 minor crash and damaged a prop guard because I was to close to the movie screen and lost GPS.  The downdraft blew me under the screen and into a pine tree.  Totally my fault.
2015-1-10
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

tonyphantom147@ Posted at 2015-1-11 04:05

Forgot to mention! When I do the phantom dance, I sing a bit of  Barry White songs at the same time.
2015-1-10
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

tonyphantom147@ Posted at 2015-1-11 04:12
Forgot to mention! When I do the phantom dance, I sing a bit of  Barry White songs at the same tim ...

Yes this point has been covered many times, and I always do the dance. (all around my hat by steel eye span works well!!)  Never had a problem that wasn't my fault.

But DJI state it is only necessary if you are in a significantly different location--- what does this mean exactly? 50 metres- 50 kms- 500kms??  I wish they would be a bit more definitive- with such a technically innovative piece of equipment they should nail this for us by speaking with data.   Are we just calibrating for northern hemisphere or southern hemisphere?? It would be good to know.
Cheers!
Rodi
2015-1-10
Use props
coraldragon
New

United States

Thanks for the input.
Kenargo
"That said; I would NEVER fly without NAZA, even for beginners!"
Are you suggesting I ditch GPS and use NAZA instead?
2015-1-11
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1686991 ft
  • >>>
United States

coraldragon@icl Posted at 2015-1-12 12:01
Thanks for the input.
Kenargo
"That said; I would NEVER fly without NAZA, even for beginners!"

GPS is the flying mode. The other two are ATTI and Manual. NAZA is the advanced software that you activate using the Phantom assistant. It gives you the option to change flight modes as well as you are able to activate course lock, home lock and return to home (without having to turn off the controller).

The benefit of using NAZA even as a beginner is that you are able to bail yourself out if you lose GPS signal. Switch to ATTI and bring it home the old fashioned way.
2015-1-11
Use props
guymacdonald
lvl.4

Australia

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-1-11 04:03
A matter of opinion - DJI claims it's not needed and my experience over 14 months shows the same. Wh ...

If the comments were kept to constructive and the sarcasm left out the forum would be a better place.

Every one of us starts out a newbie.

Regards

Guy MacDonald
2015-1-11
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

someone shared the magnetic field of the earth in another thread, you can clearly see that some areas of some countries, you could need to recalibrate even 50 miles away, some areas you wouldnt have to for several hundred miles or even more.  there are nearly no locations on that map (where people actually live) that appear to require recalibration if the 'new' location is just a few miles from where you calibrated.  

ive flown at 4 locations, all within 15mi of the first place i calibrated.  the simple fact that people have calibrated a bunch and 'never had a problem' has nothing to do with the statistical odds of two scenarios:

1.  you dont calibrate (and you needed to) and you experience a flyaway
2.  you do calibrate and you do it wrong and you experience a flyaway

one of those could still be (just using this as an example) 100x more likely than the other and just because of that doesnt mean you couldnt make the wrong choice 100 times and not experience the flyaway.  no different than riding in a car without your seatbelt 100 times in a row without dying DOESNT MAKE IT A BETTER METHOD.

the real question becomes (if you take out 'distance and earth EMF' which was shared on that map in the other thread), WHAT THINGS can cause the compass to become 'uncalibrated' or 'less accurate' between flights.  if the hardware itself (if flown from the exact same location) persists a good calibration state, then why in the world would you recalibrate every time (like people if have seen say they recalibrate in between battery swapouts in the same location).  im not understanding the factual rationale for that except for someone 'thinking that recalibrating is good' without any factual data.
2015-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules