Digital Zoom in the latest update
1159 3 2016-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

I know this is pretty straight forward, but maybe a newbie might benifit.....

Think long and hard before you use the digital zoom whilst you are aquiring footage.......its a bit like using compression......once done, it cant be undone in post.
My opinion is you are better off doing it in post anyway........at least you can change your mind and go back to normal, where-as if its done in camera its to late.
Your little screens on your flight display give you the impression the pictures are great, but you may be disapointed when viewed on a bigger screen.........this is not a fault, its a problem with ALL digital zooming.
If it were optical zoom its a different story, but I can see a whole lot of "my zoomed pictures look soft" threads comming on, and its really not a problem DJI can fix.
Happy Shooting !

Harb

2016-3-18
Use props
fhhowdy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 438107 ft
United States

Harb,

I completely agree with you in most instances -- but I'm anxious to try it out and see if it's a true digital zoom, or if it's a crop on the original sensor.   Most of the time, I'm able to shoot in either 4k or 2.7k to get the frame rates I desire, but given the inability to shoot 4k in 60fps or 48fps, I'm restricted to utilizing resolutions that are somewhat less than ideal at times.  

The idea of this being a crop (effectively a zoom, but not truly a digital zoom in the sense we often speak of in the digital camera world) would provide some very cool shooting arrangements with the X3 (I don't have the X5, yet) that you couldn't get without extra lenses.  

But even if it is a crop, most camera sensors have a pretty nice aliasing processor to downscale the larger sensors to the smaller resolutions with quality well above that of a standard crop.  I plan to shoot a series of tests to determine if it is a crop or zoom...and if it is a crop, is there a quality hit by utilizing the "zoom".

I look forward to seeing what people do with the capability.

Safe flying,
-Glenn
2016-3-18
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

Yeah its worth trying for sure, its more a case of being aware of the limitations before you go out on a one of shoot and regretting not having checked the results prior........ I have a couple of uses for it....Non Filming that will be useful for me anyway, so I will be keen to give it a run through very shortly.
I wonder if the apps like Autopilot will include Zoom Settings in there auto flight mode ?

2016-3-18
Use props
fhhowdy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 438107 ft
United States

Harb Posted at 2016-3-18 20:45
Yeah its worth trying for sure, its more a case of being aware of the limitations before you go out  ...

Not sure about AP.  I'd shocked if they don't add it soon.  Their team is incredible.  I wish DJI would let them write their firmware.  ;)
2016-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules