Prop/motor failure over water... SPLASH
1516 9 2016-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
danielfoote
New

New Zealand

Hi guys,
I had a prop or motor failure over the ocean a few days ago, I spent half a day suba diving trying to recover it (in order to retrieve data) but we failed to find it.
Is the flight data captured in the app and sync'd to cloud of any use to DJI for diagnostic purposes? Looking at the footage cached in the DJO Go app and slowed 8x I can see a prop/motor stuck while the rest spin attempting to regain flight.
I have some advice for the DJI app team, in the flight record section where you view and replay flights, it would really helpful if you could toggle on your current smartphone GPS location, this would make retreval a lot easier in the event you need to backtrack.
Here is the footage of my doomed flight...

2016-3-19
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

What props and locks were you running........really sorry to hear your loss, its a drone pilots biggest fear when flying over water.
2016-3-19
Use props
danielfoote
New

New Zealand

Harb Posted at 2016-3-20 12:42
What props and locks were you running........really sorry to hear your loss, its a drone pilots bigg ...

2nd generation twist lock props. From the footage it looks like the prop was intact.
2016-3-19
Use props
Hterag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961978 ft
China

Sorry to hear about your loss but you have a great suggestion there. I hope to see that feature added in as you said, it'd make retrieval more likely.

DJI: Add in ability to show your current location when viewing flight logs.
2016-3-20
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

To bad Dan. How old was the Inspire?
2016-3-20
Use props
danielfoote
New

New Zealand

rodger Posted at 2016-3-21 00:50
To bad Dan. How old was the Inspire?

About 11 months, probably had 20 hours flight time. Apart from a slightly faulty camera that was replaced the first week I bought it the inspire was a rock solid platform. The dilema I have now is do I buy another inspire (making use of all the accessories) or sell the accessories and buy a P3/P4 to finish some projects while I await the inspire 2?
2016-3-20
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

danielfoote Posted at 2016-3-20 16:10
About 11 months, probably had 20 hours flight time. Apart from a slightly faulty camera that was r ...

Tough decision and to bad that you have to make it. Were you using the DJI props or third party?
Go for the P4, it is a sweetheart and you will get a bit more time in the air. I have a few Phantoms and the P4 is the best by far. I have an Inspire as well and have never had a problem with it. I also await the next Inspire which will most likely incorporate the P4 advantages and then some.
2016-3-21
Use props
americanrawlins
lvl.2

United States

using the shot at the "16 second mark" didn't help you locate it at all??? I understand its water and there are currents but I thought for sure you could have found it.  Sorry to hear regardless though.....
2016-3-21
Use props
danielfoote
New

New Zealand

americanrawlins Posted at 2016-3-22 03:39
using the shot at the "16 second mark" didn't help you locate it at all??? I understand its water an ...

Yeah I was surprised we didn't find it, in saying that it had been in the water 24 hours by this point and some big tuna boats use the channel so it could have been tumbled around on the bottom or covered in mud.
2016-3-21
Use props
greg.varde
lvl.1

danielfoote Posted at 2016-3-22 07:43
Yeah I was surprised we didn't find it, in saying that it had been in the water 24 hours by this p ...

At the 7 second mark there is an object in view up high ( top center). Is that possibly the prop, or just a bird or airplane? Sorry for the loss
2016-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules