Joystick orientation request
1906 19 2016-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Davidaw
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Well just like any other piece of equipment. teh osmo takes a bit of practice to get the best from it.

I wanted to ask DJI though for an addition to future firmware updates. The joystick control drves me mad!

I've used a lot of joysticks in my time to control robotic camera heads, usually live!

Nearly every system I've ever used though has a switch to toggle the joystick tilt operation.  Why?  because people are different!

To some people "stick forward=camera up" feels natural - (maybe I'm just weird) but for me, "stick forward=camera down" makes more sense - like a plane - stick back = nose up, stick forward = nose down".

It would be fairly simple to incorporate that into the system somewhere and I for one (I'm sure a few others will agree) would find it much easier to use if the joystick could be swicthed that way!

What do you say DJI?
2016-3-19
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>

That would be a nice addition.  
2016-3-19
Use props
simler
lvl.2
Canada

ya I agree the orientation threw me when I first got it and yes to me it should be the opposite.I recognize the thinking to tilt up  you push up and to tilt down  you pull down but I like your plane analogy it "feels" right to me.
2016-3-19
Use props
Davidaw
lvl.2

United Kingdom

simler Posted at 2016-3-19 16:25
ya I agree the orientation threw me when I first got it and yes to me it should be the opposite.I re ...

I'm glad I'm not the only one!
2016-3-20
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Thanks for your advice!
We'll take serious consideration about that!
Any more good suggestion will be appreciated!
2016-3-21
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I agree. Natural for me would be joystick up = camera tilt down.
As if you're pushing the back of the camera.

Maybe an option to choose either way would be good
2016-3-21
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

Perhaps because the joy stick Is mounted vertically, it makes sense.  The same when you use your finger on the screen, finger up, camera up.  I don't know if you have a Phantom or Inspire but the flight controls on the RC are the same.  Left stick forward, AC goes up.  Right stick forward, AC goes forward.  (Also nothing like real flight controls).   Having said that, I imagine it wouldn't that difficult to offer that option.
2016-3-21
Use props
frypan
lvl.3
Australia

Up means up. Down means down. It's not difficult.

As the poster above says, the joystick on the Osmo is mounted vertically, so there is no "pushing forward" there is only up or down. It makes sense that up/down translates into camera up/down.

A flight control stick is mounted horizontally, push forward tilts nose down, pull back nose up. There is no such joystick on the Osmo - it moves up and down, not forward and back, so the analogy doesn't work.

Just get used to the way your equipment works!  
2016-3-21
Use props
Davidaw
lvl.2

Russia

frypan Posted at 2016-3-22 09:40

As the poster above says, the joystick on the Os ...

I never expected such a minor subject and request to attract such flaming.

Thank you Frypan for your  open minded acceptance of an idea.

No it's not difficult but as I said originally, people intuit things differently - that's why a lot of pro gear (however the joystick is mounted) has the toggle option because to some people stick up-camera up is natural, to others, stick up-camera down feels natural.

No need to get all moody just because you've discovered that someone else sees something differently - neither view is either right or wrong - just personal preference and suggesting a minor modification that will make no difference to you is no cause for you to take that kind of indignant and unnecessary tone!

You use things your way - I'll use them mine.
2016-3-22
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

Davidaw Posted at 2016-3-22 08:32
I never expected such a minor subject and request to attract such flaming.

Thank you Frypan for yo ...

Out of the fire, into the frypan!  Lol.
2016-3-22
Use props
Davidaw
lvl.2

Russia

Alastair Posted at 2016-3-22 16:11
Out of the fire, into the frypan!  Lol.

Thanks!
2016-3-22
Use props
speedfly
lvl.1

Canada

I support that idea. I ruined many shots because I'm used to a different joystick...
2016-3-22
Use props
DaveK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

frypan Posted at 2016-3-22 05:40

As the poster above says, the joystick on the Os ...

Ah but....

When you go into Flashlight mode, "Forward" becomes "Back", and "Back" becomes "Forward" - so think on ;)

The option to select it would be a nice addition, and mean I won't need to automatically delete the first second of every clip I shoot with a tilt!
2016-3-23
Use props
Davidaw
lvl.2

Russia

Way more in favour than (grumpily) against!

Go on DJI - a tiny addition to the app that will make the Osmo experience EVEN better for some users!
2016-3-23
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

We would like to listen to more of all you guys' opinions on this issue and take serious consideration.
2016-3-23
Use props
Produceme1
New

United States

Seriously DJI this is a big issue for those of us who work professionally and can't invert the tilt control on the Osmo.  It is so much of a problem that I am considering returning mine.  Everything I operate (including the Inspire) I use inverted up/down controls.  It is very hard to get used to doing the opposite.  The worst part is when you do train yourself to do the opposite then you screw up shots when you switch back to other pieces of equipment that use the inverted controls.  The bottom line is that when you are flying a camera, whether on a drone, jib or a handle, you want everything to be consistent so that it is second nature (and stays second nature).  Since you include this feature in your other products I was shocked to find it missing on the Osmo.  It really is a big deal to those of us who have trained ourselves to operate robotic heads this way.  Please include on your next firmware update.  It would be a very welcomed feature addition.  

2016-3-30
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Produceme1 Posted at 2016-3-30 21:29
Seriously DJI this is a big issue for those of us who work professionally and can't invert the tilt  ...

Thanks for your opinion!
This idea will be conveyed to our relative coworkers for review.
Please pay more attention to our future update.
2016-3-30
Use props
saintgarrett
New

Indonesia

Please make this feature available on the next update. I am of the same feelings as "Produceme1".
2016-8-28
Use props
Davidaw
lvl.2

Russia

So has this been done yet?
2016-10-10
Use props
finddominic
lvl.1
United States

I'm a pilot the and joystick control is counter-intuitive, as a new user I came here to find out how to reverse the movement instead I find this thread started in 2016 with no resolution.  This is basic stuff and an easy option to add. DJI is not listening to its customer and being in the market for a drone next will have me looking elsewhere. I have been shopping the Mavic series but am going to look at other brands based on this experience. It's basic stuff to make a joystick match the movements of other activities, pilots, remote control plane flyers etc... Very disappointed DJI sends me to a thread to find answers and I learn there isn't an answer and DJI doesn't listen to users.
2020-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules