Sudden drop of battery level to 0%
2224 10 2015-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
james
New

New Zealand

hi,

My DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ suddenly dropped from around 80% battery level to 0% immediately.. and from 15mins to 0 min on the app.
It fell straight from the sky and dropped into waters.

I've been contacting DJI support and no one is helping.

My experience with my last DJI Phantom Vision was also terrible.. took over 20 phone calls and emails, plus having to physically bring the item to HongKong and take over 2 months to get it fixed.

What's the best way to access DJI's support? I've sent multiple emails and phone calls and had no response.
Their support line is hardly answered.

Please help.
2015-1-10
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

This is probably a bad battery. Did you buy directly from DJI? If not, have you contacted the place you bought it from, let them take care of it.
2015-1-10
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

China

Hi, James,
which country are you in?
Does the SD card still able to provide the video of crashing?
Did your drone power off suddenly (All LEDs shut off)?
2015-1-11
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

DJI-Dboy Posted at 2015-1-12 15:52
Hi, James,
which country are you in?
Does the SD card still able to provide the video of crashing?

Dboy, im sorry to ask again but what happens when the two pins loose contact to the smart battery? Will the phantom auto land or fall down?
2015-1-12
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-1-12 16:46
Dboy, im sorry to ask again but what happens when the two pins loose contact to the smart battery? ...

No one would know that.  The only way to test that would be to cut one of the wires to the push pins and put in a switch, start the motors, turn the switch off and see what the Phantom will do.  Will the motors shut off or keep running, no one knows.  We DO know the Phantom will NOT start without the pins making contact.
2015-1-12
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-12 16:56
No one would know that.  The only way to test that would be to cut one of the wires to the push pi ...

according to some old P2 vision release notes the craft will auto land when the pins loose contact but that was back in 2013 and i remember DJI did that cause of problems with the smart battery back then. So im not sure how the phantom would behave now in this case
2015-1-12
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-1-12 16:58
according to some old P2 vision release notes the craft will auto land when the pins loose contact  ...

That is good to know but I didn't get my first V+ until April 2014.  I had 1 issue with the message "not intelligent battery"  One of the pins popped out and was gone, couldn't start the Phantom with any of my 4 batteries, so the tech sent me another plug to solder in to replace the bad one and no problems after that.
2015-1-12
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think it could auto-land if bad contact was present...maybe in some cases when partial contact was available. But if the contacts were completely separated it would come down like a rock.

That's the difference between a redundant system and a hobby or toy machine. A higher grade machine (4 to 10X the price) might have a large capacitor or separate small built-in battery to accomplish this landing if the main battery contacts were lost.

To the OP - how large a body of water were you flying over? Do you fly over water regularly? It's a surefire way to not only lose your Phantom, but to be unable to properly diagnose it. In a case like your it would be important to know if the battery still had a good charge - which might indicate separation of the contacts. As it is, there is no way to know anything.
2015-1-12
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-1-12 21:02
I don't think it could auto-land if bad contact was present...maybe in some cases when partial conta ...

no, we are talking about the two round pins only, not about the thicker main power pins, those are really solid inside the plug. Of course the phantom would fall from the sky in this case. The round pins are more for data, thats why im interested about it. I just hope the phantom will auto land if those round pins loose contact to the battery
2015-1-12
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I was testing my battery sets in the vision app and I had not inserted the battery fully into the drone.

It powered up OK and had no visible Led indicators that it was a problem but the app reported a Battery Data Connection Failure.

Powered down and removed and reinserted the battery and all was good.

I think you need to make sure that the battery is pressed in quite forcibly.

Not sure what would happen in this situation if I launched the drone. Maybe if it did not report via the data bus you could run out of battery in the air?

Cheers

2015-1-12
Use props
mike
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is also know to happen if the battery contacts are dirty. I clean mine about every 10 flights with DeoXit cleaner spray.
2015-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules