DJi Phantom 3 Gimbal overload
17287 30 2016-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AidanKless
lvl.2

Hello,

Does anyone know what is happening to my gimbal?

After three times using it is doing this.

Gimbal starts twitching and overloads

it is correctable as long as i dont move side ways much but i need to fix this ASAP.

Best Regards
2016-3-19
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321857 ft
United Kingdom

IMU , then Gimbal Calibration!

If not slap it.
2016-3-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

In the video the aircraft is flashing fast Yellow, (no RC signal) and the gimbal flashing Red (no SD card)
Do you have the RC on and an SD card installed ?
And yes, do an IMU calibration.
If it still says gimbal overload, then it may need to come in for repair.
2016-3-19
Use props
ArcticM39
lvl.2

United States

Possible yaw arm motor mis-alignment. Check out this youtube video by iRepairMD:

(FWD to 21:55 in video)

Open the back cover (be sure to keep track of which screw goes where - I think there are two screw sizes in the bunch)
Gently pry open the small PCB (take care not to disturb the ribbon cable connections)
See if you have this issue.

The video gives instruction on how to correct it.
2016-3-20
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2
Portugal

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-20 09:12
In the video the aircraft is flashing fast Yellow, (no RC signal) and the gimbal flashing Red (no SD ...

I didnt have SD card  or RC on because i just wanted to show what was happening to the gimbal. That happens in air. I can show you a video if you would like.

when i calibrate IMU is it supposed to do that twitching on its own? When calibrating it goes to side the same way.

After IMU calibration it continues to do the same thing
2016-3-20
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2
Portugal

It also says Aircraft required upgrade and camera requires upgrade.
It only gave me the option to update RC

2016-3-20
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2
Portugal

Also where it says safe to fly. It goes Safe to fly non GPS (yellow) to safe to fly GPS (Green)=
2016-3-20
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

AidanKless Posted at 2016-3-20 15:17
It also says Aircraft required upgrade and camera requires upgrade.
It only gave me the option to u ...

to update the firmware fir the p3 itself requires you to put files on an sd ard and boot the aircraft.  you can find info here on that  http://download.dji-innovations. ... ate_Firmware_en.pdf

you can not update the p3 craft itself thru the remote it needs to be done manually with the files on the SD card you put in for the camera

try running all the updates and see if that corrects your issue
2016-3-20
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2

quickpoint Posted at 2016-3-21 03:49
to update the firmware fir the p3 itself requires you to put files on an sd ard and boot the aircr ...

Thanks! i will try that
2016-3-20
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2

This is what was happening and continued to happen after imu calibration and gimbal correction
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 28/view?usp=sharing
2016-3-20
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

AidanKless Posted at 2016-3-20 17:13
This is what was happening and continued to happen after imu calibration and gimbal correction
https ...

have you updated the firmware with the p3 it self?   i think first and foremost get all your hardware 's firmware up to date with latest.   
also what flavor p3 are you using  standard/advanced/4k/pro?
2016-3-20
Use props
ccc124
lvl.1
United States

AidanKless Posted at 2016-3-20 14:09
Thanks! i will try that

I have the same issue.  After my unit warmed up, I did an IMU calibration first and then a gimbal auto-calibration. I powered my unit off, waited five minutes and turned it back on and the camera continued To  move back-and-forth like yours does. Then, after restarting my unit again I auto-calibrated the gimbal WHILE it was warming up… NOT waiting until it was already warmed up. The camera started moving around and stopped almost perfectly level. I instantly calibrated auto-calibrated to gimble again while it was still warming up and right at the end it moved into a completely level position.  I don't know if that will work for you but that took the error message off of the app and I was ready for a nice flight. Give it a try!
2016-3-20
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

AidanKless Posted at 2016-3-20 17:13
https ...

just watched your video and heard you say its a 4k.   as far as i can tell the firmware is the same for pro/advanced/4k    please update the drone firmware before trying anything else and everyone else should as well.      

here is a more in depth description of installation  http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/p ... e_Guide_en_v1.4.pdf

heres the download link for the firmware
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3-adv/info#downloads

on side note when did the twitch start?  was it present all the time or did this just start?  before or after updating the controller with latest firmware?  
2016-3-20
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2

ccc124 Posted at 2016-3-21 05:26
I have the same issue.  After my unit warmed up, I did an IMU calibration first and then a gimbal  ...

Hi . Thank you very much. Thing is mine is perfectly normal some times while it is on the ground or if i give it a little touch it straightens, but in the air when i am going left or right it starts to go weird. Which i can solve with a couple of spins but really cant move side ways.

I will try it though!
2016-3-20
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2

quickpoint Posted at 2016-3-21 05:34
just watched your video and heard you say its a 4k.   as far as i can tell the firmware is the sam ...

The twitch started one morning after i had packed my drone in to the DJi Hardcase and would twitched even on the ground. then with a fue touches like i do on the first video it started getting better but was still pretty bad in the air. Everything happened before firmware update. Today i updated RC and will now update aircraft.

I appreciate your help!
2016-3-20
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2

could not having a calibrate compass do this?
2016-3-20
Use props
ccc124
lvl.1
United States

Mine started twitching like that as well and, thinking more about it, the timing does seem to coincide with the latest firmware update.   
I am able to get the camera recalibrated if I do a gimbal auto-calibration ONLY while my unit is in warm-up mode. If I wait until the unit has warmed up, it will not recognize, or execute, and auto-calibration.   Unfortunately, the successful gimbal auto calibration does not hold so I have to do this each time I start the unit.
Then, yesterday, I landed  as I normally do… Perhaps 5 to 10% harder but still very softly and when I got to the unit, the camera had separated from the round chrome looking piece that holds it to the arm that swings back and forth.  After closer inspection,  The camera only seems to be held on to that round pice by magnet. I realigned it and as it got close to the piece that holds it, it  pulled it nice and tightly against it, so all appeared well. However, now,  when I power up my P3S, the camera just swings back-and-forth and nothing seems to work to stop it. I'm looking for a way to simply disable or turn off the camera  so the "gimbal overload" will disappear so I can fly the unit without using the camera until I figure something out or get it repaired. Frustrating.
2016-3-20
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

AidanKless Posted at 2016-3-20 17:46
could not having a calibrate compass do this?

i wouldn't now about the compass having any effect on this as before every flight i re-calibrate the compass.  it may be over kill but i see no harm in doing this other than it takes a whole extra minute before flight.   

as i noticed it appears your on a balcony flying.   being in a small structure surrounded with all kinds of metal around could mess up calibration of the compass.   

im still sticking with try updating the firmware on the p3.  

did the issue start after you updated the controller or was it present all the time?
2016-3-20
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2

i flew it from there this time. But i just redid everything in an empty parking lot and it stayed the same. I am updating firmware which is taking its time.

it was present before i updated controller. Controller was only updated today. On my 8th flight. Since this started happening after my 3rd flight..
2016-3-20
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

AidanKless Posted at 2016-3-20 18:07
i flew it from there this time. But i just redid everything in an empty parking lot and it stayed th ...

hopefully updating the firmware helps take care of some unseen bug or glitch with the firmware.   

sadily your p3 may need to be sent in for service...   one of the brushless gimbal motors may be failing.   when you move the gimbal by hand does it move smooth and with out any hitches or tightness?   i wouldn't mess with it now as you said you were updating the firmware.   after thats all done hopefully the problem is resolved and will have been a firmware/software problem rather than the hardware problem which for your sake i am really hoping it is not.    but in any case let us know how the firmware update goes.   hopefully you will be up and flying flawless before long.

after just watching your video again it looks like the control for that axis of the gimbal is just losing power by the way it flops and "bounces" before shooting back up to solid where it should be.     also it seems very regular around 2 seconds beween dropping and getting back on alignment.   looks timed and not random   
2016-3-20
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2
Portugal

quickpoint Posted at 2016-3-20 22:23
hopefully updating the firmware helps take care of some unseen bug or glitch with the firmware.   

I didnt understand what you meant by the last part. Since i am new some of it doesn't make sense to me yet.
2016-3-20
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2
Portugal

it has been updating for a while. Is beeping and blinking yellow and red because of the update?
2016-3-20
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

AidanKless Posted at 2016-3-20 18:33
it has been updating for a while. Is beeping and blinking yellow and red because of the update?

yeah,   it makes a fancy show while doing the update
2016-3-20
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2
Portugal

quickpoint Posted at 2016-3-20 22:36
yeah,   it makes a fancy show while doing the update

ok, then i think it has been doing that for more than 25 min though
2016-3-20
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2
Portugal

It doesnt do anything even with video .
recalibrated gimbal and imu. firmware etc.

Even did this when it didnt chage anything. Everytime i go sideways it still happens and some times on other ocasions specially when it goes higher up in the air
2016-3-20
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2
Portugal

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... zg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... W8/view?usp=sharing

This is what is happening. still
2016-3-20
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

AidanKless Posted at 2016-3-20 22:18
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9S9Z0844VD6UGdydmp1SU1Gdzg/view?usp=sharing

i would say short of a mechanical failure in one of the axis motors.   before taking it apart and messing with is i would really recommend contacting tech support see what they have to say,   have a feeling you will be missing it for a little while when its shipped out for service =\
2016-3-20
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

great video, hope i never need to use it ;) really wasn't sure about the epoxy part. What if you needed to repair the strip again?
2016-3-21
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2
Spain

Bhujang Posted at 2016-3-21 22:10
great video, hope i never need to use it ;) really wasn't sure about the epoxy part. What off you ne ...

what epoxy?
Strip?
2016-3-21
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

In post no.4 if you watch that video he replaces the cable strip/ ribbon and finishes up by using epoxy to secure one of the gimbal motor pinions.
2016-3-22
Use props
djiuser_Lp8PxGc8TyOJ
New

Pakistan

Can someone help me?
I have phantom 3 pro. I dont know what was the reason but i just know that the roll motor was stucked to one side of its movement axis during initial calliberation of gimbal when turned on.and the gimbal motors are not working now. Only yaw motor gives beeeping sound when i turn the drone on.
My app was showing the error of gimbal tilt and roll error, hardware malfunction contact service providers fr repair. When i opened up the gimbal assembly, i have found that the flex wire of roll motor was burned and the esc board of that motor was also melted at the tie switch. Also the main flex cable is burned and breaked where it meets up the main gimbal board. The camera, the image transmission, the cooling fan for the gimbal board even each and every thing is properly working. I just want to know that replacing the damaged components will solve my problem? Because except that, each and every thing is wrking fine
2020-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules