Compass calibration
964 8 2016-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
feargoose2
New

United States

Anyone else having issues with compass calibration on the phantom 4? I have tried multiple locations and it keeps giving me the same error. I have downloaded all current firmware and updates and when I go into compass calibration it lets me rotate horizontally then never stops telling me to rotate vertically. If I try to fly it can't get 500 meters away and starts giving error message to land. Thanks
2016-3-20
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

Have you used other phantoms in the past or is this your first?   maybe you have some for of em anomaly in the area you are trying your calibration at?    i would say for giggles try going to a different location and giving it a shot there.      
2016-3-20
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l would recommend doing it by turning your body at first. Hold it straight out and turn 360, then drop your arm down so the Phantom is nose-down then turn a 360.
The reason l say this is a guy who got a new P3 a while back got an error on the second part of the compass cal. - he was turning the Phantom nose-down then spinning it like a wheel rather than turning it laterally.
2016-3-20
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-20 17:44
You're doing it wrong., heck, the DJI GO App even shows you how to spin the craft, and it is not a ...

l don't use the GO app, and there's nothing wrong with turning it in a large circle instead of a small one. Some people do it because it can be one-handed, and the gimbal/camera doesn't get jostled around as much.
2016-3-20
Use props
feargoose2
New

United States

I had a phantom 3 professional and never had this issue. I have tried slow fast and in between so must have another issue. Thanks
2016-3-20
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-20 17:54
How do you rotate it vertically, by doing a somersault?    lol

LOL. I wish l could, but no.

l turn counter-clockwise with it straight out in front with it oriented as if it's standing on the ground looking away from me. Then l drop my arm down so it's looking at the ground and turn counter-clockwise again.

That's the way l did it with the P2 and just kept doing it that way. Feels a bit goofy if somebody's watching though.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=8961
2016-3-20
Use props
feargoose2
New

United States

No matter what I do it never changes from rotate vertically. It will say normal firmware then bounce from that and compass error. If I just fly it after cancelling calibration it keeps saying something along the lines of metallic interference. So far P3-1 P4-0!
2016-3-20
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

feargoose2 Posted at 2016-3-20 18:22
No matter what I do it never changes from rotate vertically. It will say normal firmware then bounce ...

l would try doing it somewhere else, like the middle of a field. And leave keys, belt buckles, etc. away from it.
And l always put my cell phone either in the car, or switch it to airplane mode if it's in my pocket. lt sounds like you have some kind of interference somewhere, not necessarily a bad P4.
2016-3-20
Use props
ba0201
lvl.1
Flight distance : 251407 ft

I had the exact same problem and after trying everything tech support recommended (recalibrating IMU's, changing locations, watching the video, etc.), I ended up returning my P4 to Apple and they gave me a brand new one.  I just set it up today and it works great.  
2016-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules