Will holding down the left stick turn off the motors mid flight?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
prairieboy
lvl.1

Canada

Hi,

I have tried to search but can't quite find my answer.

I use the method 2 of holding down the left joystick for 3 seconds to power down the motors once I have landed. My question is...If I hold down the left stick when the drone is way up in the air, will this turn off the motors and cause a crash? or will the way of powering down the motors only happen below a certain height?

And if this will power down the motors way up high, then what's the technique for the fastest descent???

Thank you
2016-3-21
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

Holding the left stick down all the way will not kill the motors until the Phantom lands (or more correctly, stops descending).  Just remember that going STRAIGHT down quickly imposes the risk of becoming unstable as your Phantom descends into turbulent air caused by its own propellers.  It's better to descend diagonally, even "zigzag", especially if you have to descend rapidly.
2016-3-21
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

bobasbury Posted at 2016-3-21 07:24
Holding the left stick down all the way will not kill the motors until the Phantom lands (or more co ...

Rapid decent will not cause the turbulent air build up as previous drones have had issues with,  the P3 and 4 have motors offset angled so this is not a problem.    also descending rate i configured to not allow you to come down faster than you can safely.    holding straight down on the poses no danger anymore as it has in the past.   

No reason to zig zag but you can if you wish.    only way to kill the motors in mid flight is CSC which used to be down and center of both sticks now it just involves the left stick and rth.  (don't quote me on this)

feel free to decent because your drone will not let you descend faster than it safely can while keeping control and will not kill the motors unless you have landed it and the drone knows it is no longer flying.  

2016-3-21
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

quickpoint Posted at 2016-3-21 19:50
Rapid decent will not cause the turbulent air build up as previous drones have had issues with,  t ...

Thanks.  I have not tried a straight-down descent with the P4, but it does seem stabler in the air.
2016-3-22
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

bobasbury Posted at 2016-3-22 05:43
Thanks.  I have not tried a straight-down descent with the P4, but it does seem stabler in the air ...

fear not my friend,  its smart enough to know max safe decent rate.    in gps mode if a down burst causes it to descend to quickly or wind in general the phantom will adjust automatically to prevent loss of control during descent.      Also the motors are tilted outwards to pull more air to reduce chance of the vortex that used to plague drones with rapid descent crashes,    with the off axis tilt of the motors and limit of descend speed your totally safe(random anomalys happen, massive down burst, mechanical failure)  but if you fly with reasonably weather conditions,  your in the clear =)   

Happy Descending!
2016-3-22
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

quickpoint Posted at 2016-3-21 19:50
Rapid decent will not cause the turbulent air build up as previous drones have had issues with,  t ...

I used to rapid descend with my old P2 all the time...it's rate of descend is actually faster than my P3P and never had an issue with turbulence.

Hum...I need to start making some videos on this stuff.
2016-3-22
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

This question has been asked countless times, the answer is no it won't fall fro! The sky.
2016-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules