Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Micro SD Slot not holding card
3442 18 2016-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
twagenknecht
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35315 ft
United States

First flights...flawless.  Today, when prepping, I found that the Micro SD slot in the Phantom 4 no longer holds the card in place to record.  It clicks but does not latch shut to hold it in place.  Card inserted properly of course, as there is only 1 way to do this...Any ideas before I have to start a repair procedure?
2016-3-21
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Captain
Flight distance : 7141677 ft
  • >>>
Canada

You should try a different mico SD card first.
2016-3-21
Use props
twagenknecht
lvl.1
United States

Did that.  The latching mechanism seems to be faulty onboard.  In my Rasberry Pi's these SD cards work fine
2016-3-21
Use props
twagenknecht
lvl.1
United States

Is this a matter for repair at this point?   I would hate to do this as it is so new...
2016-3-21
Use props
rwjorgensen
lvl.2

twagenknecht Posted at 2016-3-22 04:43
Is this a matter for repair at this point?   I would hate to do this as it is so new...

can you use duck tape to keep it in place?  
2016-3-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

This may sound dumb, but every other time someone has reported this, it turns out there was already an SD card in the slot. Take a close look and see if there is already one in there.
2016-3-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Weird that the Phantom 4 micro sd card slot is upside down, in the drones new configuration.
Placing the card into the belly of the beast, bottom side up, just seems so wrong to me. ;-)

Like driving on the left side of the road. Or of reading text backwards... Eh?

RedHotPoker
2016-3-21
Use props
twagenknecht
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-21 15:45
This may sound dumb, but every other time someone has reported this, it turns out there was already  ...

Yeah...no there is not
2016-3-22
Use props
twagenknecht
lvl.1
United States

rwjorgensen Posted at 2016-3-21 14:04
can you use duck tape to keep it in place?

really...not really helpful
2016-3-22
Use props
boxerman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

Actually you would think there is only one way to insert the card, but I bet a few owners will insert the card incorrectly (with the contacting surfaces facing down) and then try to force it in.  DJI moved the micro-usb slot from the gimbal base to the primary Phantom housing on the P4 and in the process flipped it from previous orientations.  Pay attention that the contacting surfaces are facing UP when inserting the card in the P4.
2016-3-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry you are having an issue, can you please post a video showing a SD card trying to be inserted.
If indeed it is an SD card slot issue, please call 818-235-0789 and the support center will take care of it.
2016-3-22
Use props
twagenknecht
lvl.1
United States

Thanks DJI-Ken.  I will do this.  Thanks
2016-3-22
Use props
twagenknecht
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-22 07:57
I'm sorry you are having an issue, can you please post a video showing a SD card trying to be insert ...

Ken, without a macro lens or strong camera, I have tried to make some videos showing that there is indeed no card in the slot...which there still is none.  Upon insertion, the correct way up, there was a small snap, which I took for the click-lock mechanism for all intents and purposes breaking, and subsequently the card will insert, but not stay in the locked position.  I have tried a number of Micro SD cards, all with the same result.  All of these cards will click and lock into position in my Ras Pi.  I will be calling the support line in the AM to try to get this sorted.  So far, the platform is awesome and a wonderful upgrade, am though a bit disappointed in how quickly this one turned on me.  Let's hope for a quick resolution.  Thanks
2016-3-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

twagenknecht Posted at 2016-3-23 12:01
Ken, without a macro lens or strong camera, I have tried to make some videos showing that there is  ...

You said "Upon insertion, the correct way up" Are you trying to insert the SD card with the it facing up (writing on the top)?
If so then you are inserting it upside down. The writing on the SD card faces the bottom.I attached a few photos to describe the way the SD card is inserted.
Sd card slot.jpg
Sd card.jpg
2016-3-23
Use props
twagenknecht
lvl.1
United States

Ken...yes the contacts are facing upwards and the label is downwards.  The click latch seems to be stuck in the release position.  I'll be calling the number given today
2016-3-23
Use props
twagenknecht
lvl.1
United States

Update:  sent the UAV in for repair.  Sent in last Thursday and got it back last night in perfect condition.  Thank you DJI support services for the quick turnaround   The only miss was that since the guts were replaced I had to reconnect the UAV to the controller.  That took 2 seconds and I was up and flying.  Well done DJI
2016-4-6
Use props
jasborg
New

Malta

My Phantom 4 just developed the same problem..
2016-4-30
Use props
dcplus14
lvl.1

United States

Same issue as you. I have sent my new Phantom 4 in twice for repairs, the last time for the sd card. Just got it returned, and the SD card issue has yet to be resolved.

2016-8-11
Use props
JACKODOG-ANDROI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 208383 ft

http://forum.dji.com/thread-55060-1-1.html
2016-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules