Problem on startup
1245 17 2016-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jomoore0621
lvl.1

United States

I am having problems getting the drone to initiate take off.  After compass calibration and waiting on the GPS signal, I then pull down on the joysticks and get 3 quick red lights and then back to green.  The problem is the rotors won't turn.  Any ideas?  I'm running android as the OS.

John
2016-3-21
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Where did you do the compass calibration, and what are the values?
The gyro value should be around zero, accel around 1, and compass around 1500.
ls this a new Phantom, and if so did you do an IMU calibration also?
2016-3-21
Use props
jomoore0621
lvl.1

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2016-3-21 09:47
Where did you do the compass calibration, and what are the values?
The gyro value should be around z ...

I'm new to this.  We just followed the start guide instructions and now when we pull the joysticks down to start it quickly flashes 3 red lights and won't turn the rotors.  As soon as I let go, it goes back to flashing green lights and appears ready for takeoff.
2016-3-21
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Gotcha.
The start-up pages included with the drone don't give a lot of info. There is a full manual you can download from the DJI site that will give you all the steps you need to take to get it in the air safely.
There are some great step-by-step DJI tutorials here too:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid251592

Good luck!
2016-3-21
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

problem sounds like NPES...New Pilot Error Syndrome....
Problem is that even if you got it started, how do you land and turn it off safely...That is an even bigger issue if you do not already know how to so PLEASE...Do a bit of reading & watching....

Must read manuals and watch videos or Drone will go bye bye if you can ever figure out how to get it to go....

The main user manual is good, however IMHO you should Download this how to guide, it is the best resource i have found......https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1h ... ry%20Guide.pdf?dl=0

It will show you in short order what you are doing wrong.......One hint...CSC.....
2016-3-21
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Yup,  like North said,  csc.  Another hint,  pull down on the sticks.
2016-3-21
Use props
jomoore0621
lvl.1

United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-3-21 12:40
Yup,  like North said,  csc.  Another hint,  pull down on the sticks.

I appreciate the feedback.  When we pull down the sticks is when it flashes red and won't do anything.  After you take pressure off the joysticks, the lights change back to green.
2016-3-21
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

jomoore,
not sure what version phantom you have but that may help depending on weather or not there is actually a problem or if it is operator error....
Not trying to be an a$$, seriously!!

And you may be doing the CSC correct, it is the same for all of the Phantoms to start the motors....
Check here and look at the picts in the manual or a tutorial and see, it is not down per se, it is in & down ie. 5 o'clock on the left and 7 o'clock on the right and you do it at the same time and hold for a sec then props should start then release immediately....
please trust me that it is worth the watch on a video.....if you have not already seen it....
If you are doing the above correctly, then check that all of your switches on the RC are in their proper positions (again, covered in the manual/videos).....

2016-3-21
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

jomoore0621@gma Posted at 2016-3-21 10:56
I appreciate the feedback.  When we pull down the sticks is when it flashes red and won't do anyth ...

Sorry for being cryptic,  I was quoting you.  The start engine procedure is to not just pull down on the sticks,  but to pull down and in at the same time.  So they look like this \ /   or like this / \.  That is the csc start engine procedure.
2016-3-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It's a Combination Stick Command or nothing at all...
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Combination_Stick_Command
Pull both RC sticks down & in towards the bottom centre, or outward.
This motion will also kill the motors in mid flight, for an emergency bailout, but it will also crash.

RedHotPoker
2016-3-21
Use props
jomoore0621
lvl.1

United States

OK.  I appreciate all the posts but I still have the problem.  I went a got another person who has the same drone and they couldn't get the motors to activate either.  Once the compass calibration is complete and the drone is ready to take-off, when you pull the joysticks in the correct direction it will flash red and not initiate take off.  We have followed all directions on the links provided above and they are not the issue.  Please help.
2016-3-22
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Did you do the IMU calibration and calibrate the remote sticks? Are your compass mod values normal?
Are you in a NFZ?
2016-3-22
Use props
jomoore0621
lvl.1

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2016-3-22 08:01
Did you do the IMU calibration and calibrate the remote sticks? Are your compass mod values normal?

Can you spell out what is an IMU and joystick calibration?  I'm not in a NFZ.  Can you give me a link or explanation of how to do these calibrations?  I'm sorry that I'm not familiar with the abbreviations.
2016-3-22
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

jomoore0621@gma Posted at 2016-3-22 08:14
Can you spell out what is an IMU and joystick calibration?  I'm not in a NFZ.  Can you give me a l ...

l'll find a couple of links for you for DJI's tutorials. They have a lot of them now and they're short and simple, not fluffy.

Here's the IMU calibration one:   
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=29724

here's the remote controller calibration:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-29726-1-1.html

and here's all their current Phantom tutorials:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid251592
2016-3-22
Use props
jomoore0621
lvl.1

United States

This link is for the Phantom 3.  How is it done on the Vision 2 plus?  DJI Go does not go back to the Vision 2 Plus as an option.  I appreciate the guidance.
2016-3-22
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

jomoore0621@gma Posted at 2016-3-22 11:02
This link is for the Phantom 3.  How is it done on the Vision 2 plus?  DJI Go does not go back to th ...

Ugh, sorry, that's the first question l should have asked in this new all-encompassing forum format. l used to have a P2V+V3 so l'll look back through my stuff and come back and edit this post if l have anything of value.
EDIT: I used to have a P2 folder of info but l've deleted it.
Here's a video on P2 Vision IMU cal. Even if the Basic box is not greyed out you can still force a manual advanced cal. lt's worth doing. Also, the temperature error that he explains about happens 100% of the time, it's a glitch, just click through it.

Maybe if you edit P2 Vision into your title some of those guys from that forum might be of more help. Good luck.
2016-3-22
Use props
jomoore0621
lvl.1

United States

Downloaded the DJI Assistant and updated the software and it's now good to go.  Thank you all for your help.
2016-3-22
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

jomoore0621@gma Posted at 2016-3-22 13:52
Downloaded the DJI Assistant and updated the software and it's now good to go.  Thank you all for yo ...

Yay! Happy flying!
2016-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules