Ronin Tilt Horizon Never Level to Ground -15 degrees
2846 7 2016-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alphamalevisual
New

Hey guys. This has been happening ever since I got my Ronin awhile back. I had just been "dealing with it" but its getting annoying now and want to try and fix it. I balance my camera on the Ronin perfectly on all axes. Whenever I power on the Ronin, it takes the camera to perfect level on all horizons, as it should, for about one second, and then the tilt points down  about -15 degrees and stays there (the -15 degrees is what the live data shows as when I got to motor settings in the DJI app). It's as if the Ronin thinks this downward angle of -15 degrees is the correct level horizon for the up and down tilt, when it actually should be 0 degrees. The pan horizon works just fine and is level at 0, the tilt is not. I have tried Autotune stability, recalibrate system, recalibrate center, all of the different functions and modes on the remote and every time I turn on the Ronin, it goes to this downward tilt angle as being "level". To correct it I usually have to grab the remote and tilt it up, and then it stays level after that. But having to do this everytime I turn the Ronin on is getting exhausting. I've seen other people ask about this on the internet with no real solution (that I have found). Any suggestions on how to get this corrected? This happens on EVERY camera that I try to load onto here, canons, gh4s and REDs. They all do this tilt thing after I balance them and using different lenses.
ronin tilt axis.JPG
2016-3-21
Use props
valealvarez.s96
lvl.3
Argentina

one thing that stops that drift is to disable Smoothtrack for tilt, see if it stops
2016-3-21
Use props
alphamalevisual
New

valealvarez.s96 Posted at 2016-3-21 15:08
one thing that stops that drift is to disable Smoothtrack for tilt, see if it stops

so I tried this out - i went to the settings and turned off ST for tilt. turned the Ronin off, turned it back on, and it leveled to the correct horizon at 0 degrees for tilt. However, the second I flip ST back on for tilt it goes right back down to the negative 15 degrees tilt. Why? I need to shoot with ST on for horizon & tilt 100% of the time. Is there a way to fix this horizon when ST tilt is on?
2016-3-21
Use props
valealvarez.s96
lvl.3
Argentina

alphamalevisual Posted at 2016-3-22 13:40
so I tried this out - i went to the settings and turned off ST for tilt. turned the Ronin off, tur ...

You can buy the thumb controller to work with the tilt, wait for a firmware upgrade i think.
Did you tried to increase the deadband of tilt smoothtrack? My ronin-m goes to -3 sometimes, and once i set a higher number in deadband (15 or so) and change TRIM to some positive value, it didn't drift again. Hope that helps. Keep me updated
2016-3-22
Use props
alphamalevisual
New

valealvarez.s96 Posted at 2016-3-22 18:29
You can buy the thumb controller to work with the tilt, wait for a firmware upgrade i think.
Did y ...

setting the tilt axis trim all the way up to 10 helps out a little bit. That brings my tilt horizon to -10 instead of -15 like before. When I adjust the tilt deadband up to like 20, it helps a little more and brings it to -8. However, I can't operate with a deadband of 20, it requires too much movement for a gimbal reaction. My normal deadband setting is 2. Any other suggestions? I feel like if I could adjust the tilt trim to a value past 10, maybe to like 30 or something, this would help solve my problem.
2016-3-22
Use props
valealvarez.s96
lvl.3
Argentina

alphamalevisual Posted at 2016-3-23 00:35
setting the tilt axis trim all the way up to 10 helps out a little bit. That brings my tilt horizon ...

Consider buying the thumb controller, and kill the tilt ST feature haha, thats your solution, that what i would do until DJI releases a new firmware. The osmo had the same problem and it was fixed with the new firmware so i guess they can fix the ronin too.
2016-3-22
Use props
rambouzi
New

Netherlands

Hi,

I have the same problem. Only my camera is tilting backwards for 25 tot 33 degrees. It does this only when I switch on the SmoothTrack option for tilt. Without smooth track on, it starts horizontal. I have been trying over and over again with all possible settings, but nothing seems works. I have a rather heavy camera on the Ronin. The only thing I can do is switch on the remote and correct it manually.

Foto tilted camera
I also updated to the latest firmware. And the balance is as perfect as possible.

What can I do to correct it? Please help.
UPDATE: I managed to correct the problem. It was quite simple. I loosened the screws on the tilt motor axil and corrected the angel by moving the axel a bit in the opposite direction of the tilt error. Can you follow me? After fastening the screws again the camera was level in all modes.

2016-11-2
Use props
PhilippN
lvl.2

Czechia

Hello,
I have the same problem in my late 2018 version of Ronin M. Weird is, that it really recognizes the right angle at first, but after a sec it is driven down and aims downwards instead of heading front. Another thing is the pan degree, same there, it aims a little left. Is it an error? Should I return it to the vendor?
Firmware update did not help.
2018-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules