P3P elevation questions
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mary Ann
lvl.2
Flight distance : 259009 ft
Canada

When flying away from you, uphill, will the phantom remain at the same height from the ground?  I started flying at about 10 feet and sent it up a very gradual hill.  As it flew, it looked to me like it was getting lower to the ground as it went up hill.  I would have thought it would have continued to stay at 10 feet and adjust for ground elevation.  Was I seeing things?

I have had the Go App register the Phantom at 2 meters even though it was sitting on the ground.  Does something need calibrating?  I also think there has been times looking back at the flight logs that the elevations don't seem to be correct.  I can't prove it but it just didn't "look" like it was at 30 meters, more like 50.  Again, calibration?

Thanks in advance!

Mary Ann
2016-3-21
Use props
GM01
lvl.2

Belgium

The answer is no. The height you see on the app is above the home point.  The phantom does not auto adjust height as the ground rises. You could try a cold  IMU calibration at home, followed by a compass calibration before you fly at the site  and make sure it acquires satellites  before you fly.
2016-3-21
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Hi Mary Ann and welcome.

As GM01 said, the Phantom will not retain altitude relevant to ground topography, only to the home point, so you need to raise it as the ground rises.

My P3P's altitude readings are slightly off too, mostly noticeable at the end of a flight as l'm coming in for a landing. lt typically says the Phantom is higher than it actually is - usually only off by 10 feet or so, so l've never worried about it.
2016-3-21
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

That was one of my first concerns. Both the above replies are correct. It's always relative to the home point. So when flying up hill the height given in the go app will appear higher than the drone is from the ground so always allow more for clearance of trees etc.
2016-3-21
Use props
Mary Ann
lvl.2
Flight distance : 259009 ft
Canada

GM01 Posted at 2016-3-21 12:07
The answer is no. The height you see on the app is above the home point.  The phantom does not auto  ...

Thanks for the quick replies.  I have SO much to learn but what a blast learning it!  As long as it's not a CRASH learning it!  So far so good!  Thanks for the information.  All you "repliers" are appreciated!
2016-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules