Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 Gimbal Noise
12Next >
12737 57 2016-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marcello Romano
lvl.1

United States

Is anyone geting this noise when moving the gimbal up and down? It sounds almost springy/metallic. Should this be a reason to return the Phantom?

I've tried contacting DJI about the issue and haven't heard back (big surprise there)
Here's a video of the noise

2016-3-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

None of the P4's I have felt do that. Have you taken off from dirt or sand?
2016-3-21
Use props
Marcello Romano
lvl.1

United States

No, only dry pavement. It made this sound out of the box.
2016-3-21
Use props
DanielMyst777
lvl.2
Flight distance : 145276 ft
United States

Marcello Romano Posted at 2016-3-21 17:38
No, only dry pavement. It made this sound out of the box.

Same with mine. I noticed it right out of the box too. Gimbal seems to function fine though and IMU and gimbal calibrate just fine. What about the clicking noise like static coming out from speakers whenever the P4 is turned on too? Is that normal?
2016-3-21
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

DanielMyst777 Posted at 2016-3-22 08:42
Same with mine. I noticed it right out of the box too. Gimbal seems to function fine though and IM ...

Yes, it is normal. That sound comes from the ultrasonics in the VPS system.
2016-3-21
Use props
Jkeller84
lvl.4
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine makes this sound too, right out of the box.
2016-3-21
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Mine makes a similar sound which to me seems to be the ribbon. No worries, as long as it works fine it's good.
2016-3-21
Use props
Jkeller84
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

edbighi@gmail.c Posted at 2016-3-21 17:33
Mine makes a similar sound which to me seems to be the ribbon. No worries, as long as it works fine  ...

Yeah I am not going to worry about it. Works fine.
2016-3-21
Use props
davidson_g
Second Officer
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

I'd be worried about long term affects if it were the ribbon chafing - I was forever replacing Kenwood car radio motorised fascia ribbons due to chafing issues. I've not got a Phantom 4 yet but looking at some photos it would seem that the ribbon cable is quite close to the camera body shell itself but unsure if it's close enough to brush against it.
2016-3-22
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-21 23:26
Yes, it is normal. That sound comes from the ultrasonics in the VPS system.

Puhh, man, I am amazed about your answer here "ultrasonics in the VPS system"...
2016-3-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Thacyoon Posted at 2016-3-23 11:53
Puhh, man, I am amazed about your answer here "ultrasonics in the VPS system"...

I was answering his question:

'What about the clicking noise like static coming out from speakers whenever the P4 is turned on too? Is that normal?"
2016-3-22
Use props
Jkeller84
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

davidson_g Posted at 2016-3-22 11:42
I'd be worried about long term affects if it were the ribbon chafing - I was forever replacing Kenwo ...

It is not visibly touching the external ribbon cable, the sound is coming from inside the gimbal arm
2016-3-22
Use props
Marcello Romano
lvl.1

United States

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-3-22 18:19
It is not visibly touching the external ribbon cable, the sound is coming from inside the gimbal a ...

Are you getting a metallic clicking sound like in the video?
2016-3-22
Use props
Jkeller84
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Marcello Romano Posted at 2016-3-22 18:44
Are you getting a metallic clicking sound like in the video?

It's not really a metallic sound to me, but yes mine is making that sound. Sounds like a a ribbon cable internally is rubbing.
2016-3-22
Use props
Jkeller84
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Lots of other reports of this on other forums as well. Again, I am not worried too much about it but it would be good for DJI to look into what it is.
2016-3-22
Use props
gswilder
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18409 ft
  • >>>
United States

My has a squeak noise, but I believe it is electronically generated not mechanical. I get it everytime I turn on the P4, right at the end of the gimble gyrations. Also if I pickup the P4 and twist it around, I hear it. And if I hold it in an extreme position, the gimble does a repeating squeak squeak squeak. Others have report the same issue.

But I have not heard that mechanical clicking sound on your video.
2016-3-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

gswilder Posted at 2016-3-23 13:46
My has a squeak noise, but I believe it is electronically generated not mechanical. I get it everyti ...

'But I have not heard that mechanical clicking sound on your video.'

You won't either. The only time it appears is when someone is shooting the Phantom with another camera that has a microphone. It is the Ultrasonic transceivers used for ranging, they must have a component of the frequency that is detectable by the camera's microphone, but too high for your ears to hear.
2016-3-22
Use props
TK-421
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-22
Use props
stussyredhat
lvl.1

United States

I hear the same noise on mine also but I have seen no evidence in the ribbon being touched by the camera. I would guess it is normal.
2016-3-22
Use props
Marcello Romano
lvl.1

United States

The back of the camera is completely clearing the black ribbon behind it, this sound is coming from within the gimbal arm.
2016-3-22
Use props
Marcello Romano
lvl.1

United States

If anyone hears from DJI about this would you be so kind to share on this thread? I really don't want to have to send it in for repairs if it won't impact the function of the gimbal/camera.
2016-3-22
Use props
davidson_g
Second Officer
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-3-23 01:19
It is not visibly touching the external ribbon cable, the sound is coming from inside the gimbal a ...

I wonder if DJI coils the ribbon cable in the camera gimbal hub like a mechanical clock spring and the twisting action is causing the ribbon to creak as it coils/uncoils against itself.  Some laptops use a coiled ribbon setup in the display hinges to try and extend the ribbon life but it still remained a point of weakness.

In the P3 they appear to have the ribbon coiled twice around the camera gimbal mount before it enters into the camera housing.
I've not yet seen any P4 gimbal teardowns; I'd love to see how they've done it.

2016-3-22
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

I have the same sound on my P4. It is usual and it doesn't influence the normal operation of the gimbal
2016-3-23
Use props
rditc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 958291 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-23 10:18
I have the same sound on my P4. It is usual and it doesn't influence the normal operation of the gim ...

I sent DJI a movie of my P4 which was making the same noise.  They have requested that I return it, which I have done already.  Bought a replacement from Apple and it make the same noise but not as pronounced.

Tim if it is normal then surely everyone would be hearing?
2016-3-28
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

rditc Posted at 2016-3-29 02:58
I sent DJI a movie of my P4 which was making the same noise.  They have requested that I return it ...

This  sound is normal. I've just checked 3 phantoms , all  of them have this sound.
2016-3-28
Use props
agilarmanuel
lvl.2

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-29 11:29
This  sound is normal. I've just checked 3 phantoms , all  of them have this sound.

When i turn the phantom 4 it make a gimbal noise i try to calibrate and it fails to many times you can see it in the attach video and another thing the camera is not straight it stays side ways this is normal??
check video

http://youtu.be/b3uaKGKgVRQ
2016-3-29
Use props
ZachGoesHard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6512 ft

I just exchanged my first P4 at apple for a new one due to weird noises coming from the aircraft. My new P4 is making the gimbal clicking noise . My first one did not make this sound. I guess if its not one thing its another... oh well. Works fine but disappointed about the noise. Something about it just annoys me. Argh! :@
2016-3-29
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

agilarmanuel Posted at 2016-3-30 14:36
When i turn the phantom 4 it make a gimbal noise i try to calibrate and it fails to many times you  ...

That one is not normal! You will have to send it in for repair
2016-3-30
Use props
riff_doctor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 88294 ft
United States

Can someone please post the "normal" noise?  The original video has been removed.  Thanks
2016-4-9
Use props
thrice12
New

United States

Mine does the same thing too.
2016-4-9
Use props
Drone 5150
lvl.2
United States

Is there a clip somewhere that I can listen to?  Mine makes a squeak noise at the end of start up...
Thanks...
2016-4-14
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

My first Phantom3 had that ribbon cable noise when you moved the gimbal with your hands without powering it on. This model always had jello effect and gimbal overload messages. They replaced it and the new one had no ribbon noise and no jello at all. So i guess this count for the P4 as well, maybe the ribbon cable is not perfectly installed and that cable give a slight amount of resistance
2016-4-14
Use props
johnhmowat
New
United States

I have the gimbal noise as well. Not happy with it. Probably something that needs to be fixed by DJI.

2016-4-18
Use props
mariusz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 358392 ft
Poland

Hi, Sorry for bad quality video, but  does anyone can confirm is this sound from my gimbal is normal or not  (sound is in 12s)

sometimes this sound is not only at startup but when gimbal working

Thanks for help ...

2016-4-18
Use props
Drone 5150
lvl.2
United States

mariusz@lbh.pl Posted at 2016-4-18 08:12
Hi, Sorry for bad quality video, but  does anyone can confirm is this sound from my gimbal is normal ...

I have the same noise at every start up.  No noise while operating.  Thanks for the video.  I too, would like to know if this is considered "normal".
2016-4-18
Use props
cocktail5555
lvl.2

United States

I got a second P4 today and this one has the gimble startup noise. My other one didn't. But it did make that noise after a calibration. Do I need to return it?
2016-4-18
Use props
ppeepp5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 258635 ft
France

Hello everybody,

Thanks to youtube, I found this vidéo about "how to fix the clicking sound from the gimbal of the Phantom 4.

However, I have a brand new Phantom 4 with the a little noise during startup coming maybe coming from the gimbal like in this video .

Is it normal? I don't want to return my P4

Best regards and fly safe
2016-4-20
Use props
bryanmones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1234 ft

mariusz@lbh.pl Posted at 2016-4-18 23:12
Hi, Sorry for bad quality video, but  does anyone can confirm is this sound from my gimbal is normal ...

same as mine? we would like to know if it is normal and needs to be returned or not?
2016-4-21
Use props
mariusz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 358392 ft
Poland

I dont know yet too But  many peoples has many problems with their  phantom's, my phantom works great except this nise, so I think I will not return - I dont want have new troubles with new phantom ...
2016-4-22
Use props
mavs88
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-21 23:30
None of the P4's I have felt do that. Have you taken off from dirt or sand?

I am sorry but I do have to disagree with you... I bought one, that made this scratching sound when intialising and I checked 4 others in the store before I found one which made this sound only slightly....
2016-4-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules