Phantom 4 sudden fly away and crash!
651732 651732 2016-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vad7
lvl.2

Russia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-15 19:21
The speed indicated for the Phantom is derived from GPS and it's speed over the ground - not airsp ...

What about flying indoor?
h.s. = 0?
2016-5-15
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

vad7@yahoo.com Posted at 2016-5-16 17:12
What about flying indoor?
h.s. = 0?

I've never flown indoors.
If no GPS, maybe zero unless they can get a speed from the imu.
Something for you to test.
2016-5-16
Use props
jeromewongcj
New

Malaysia

Was flying my p4 .. its home was suddenly changed at 12min. 10.2 sec from 7.3ft from home to 12min 10.3 sec to 1,560.2 ft away.. some help please ..flight log is as below.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5SWY2M4K04PO1BOBM1D2/#
2016-6-21
Use props
jordeangjelovik
lvl.1

North Macedonia

hungdang Posted at 2016-3-24 02:37
Hi Matt
In case your phantom 4 out of control, you should switch the flight mode switch to A so you  ...

I just red about this issue! Many people suggest switching to Atti mode so you disable the GPS  and Glonass and take full manual control!
Probably strong magnetic field or any kind of interference is the reason why the Phantom gets loco!? This is from what I found out!
Also IMU must be always in good shape and compass calibrated,
2016-7-3
Use props
gediminas
New

Lithuania

Hello Matt,

do you still have warranty?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.santechnikosmeistrai. ... kas-kaune-vilniuje/

2016-7-3
Use props
ribas.santiago
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5483068 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Exib Posted at 2016-3-24 14:47
I can't understand why when people have this type of issue they never put a direct link of the fligh ...

Can you please explain how we can do that?
In Flightlist, when I hit the share button, there is only WeChat, Moments,Weibo, QQ and Twitter.
2016-7-4
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ribas.santiago Posted at 2016-7-5 02:57
Can you please explain how we can do that?
In Flightlist, when I hit the share button, there is o ...

The best way to provide flight data is to go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides
2016-7-4
Use props
mikelmanalili21
New

Philippines

Hello All,

if anyone reading this has the same problem please let me know. just today my DJI phantom 4 flew away! I had a safe to fly gps, a RTH point was already set and let the drone hover for like  2minutes while i am checking some of the stuff in at dgi go app like camera setting. I noticed that my drown flew 50 meters from where it was 3 mins ago and I manually controlled it to get it back. But the drone flew on its own. i just noticed that it on ATTI mode. I began hitting return to home as it gets farther and higher.

It continued to get far and I heard the dji go app warned me that max flight altitude has been reached (set at 90m) suddenly the screen blacked out due to signal transmission lost. I again hit the return to home button but the drone got farther and farther until it was no longer within my sight. I knew there is something wrong here.

Did you guys experienced the same? Its actually my 7th flight and everyhing is OK until this day. Kindly please post your opinion and ill be happy to read. I will go out now to try to locate where it has possible landed but now I dont know what to do. The search area is too big.

I will try to find it. If i got lucky I will send some pics. If not i will have to send the RC back to dji to check flight logs and so I can be assured that my unit will be replaced.

P.S. Iwaited at my current position (hoping that the drone will get back) but after 40 mins I left the place because there is no way that thing will hover and successfuly return to home with a 25 minute flight time coz otherwise im not writting this now.

2016-7-14
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

mikelmanalili21 Posted at 2016-7-15 17:54
Hello All,

if anyone reading this has the same problem please let me know. just today my DJI phanto ...

Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident and perhaps point you to a likely area to search for the Phantom.
2016-7-15
Use props
robvdk
New

Canada

Happened to me too. It started doing circles on its own. Dji said I crashed it so I'm disputing it. It happened on my 2nd or 3rd flight
2016-7-21
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

mikelmanalili21 Posted at 2016-7-15 03:54
Hello All,

if anyone reading this has the same problem please let me know. just today my DJI phanto ...

Sorry for your experience and I hope you find it.

If it was windy, then the P4 in ATTI mode will drift based upon the wind. Putting it in P or S would have stopped the wind drift.

But it is still puzzling why you could not control it.  
2016-7-21
Use props
alangoldenphoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 554885 ft
Ireland

I wanted to get airborne quickly and didnt do a calibrate position...I did auto take off, it didnt reach the 1.5m and sounded like it was revving, then went backwards into a bush. Here is the log if anyone can help explain why this happened. Thanks.

Healthy Drones link
2016-8-22
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I am confused by the log data!! and I have a deja vu moment too, because I also had a Home Point shown in the middle of the ocean after I turned off the app to get rid of the "Disconnected" warning which would not go away.

But I was told that was not a real Home Point and not to worry about it.  The real home point was close to B

Are you sure the logs are for the flight which the P4 just flew into a bush?  The map csv are showing thousands of feet flown. It shows 6321 feet from Home Point. And there is a jump from 0 to 1354 feet in 0.5 sec??  And you accomplished it with a max speed of 1.2 MPH.

Maybe you proved that there is a 4th dimension and the P4 can fly into it.

Home Point over the ocean

Home Point over the ocean
2016-8-22
Use props
alangoldenphoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 554885 ft
Ireland

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-8-23 03:11
I am confused by the log data!! and I have a deja vu moment too, because I also had a Home Point sho ...

Its strange. The map shows me in Scotland but I'm in Ireland. I did not do a calibrate as i just wanted to hover at about 20 meters. Really strange. The straight line flight did not happen, it just flew three meters backwards into a bush.
2016-8-23
Use props
MicroFPV
lvl.3

United States

Really strange, your flight log should only show moments of activity.  Is this a new machine?  Have you flown it before?
2016-8-23
Use props
MicroFPV
lvl.3

United States

jbrahim@me.com Posted at 2016-4-4 14:19
This morning i spoke to a very polite customer service agent, and man, for the first time i felt i w ...

This morning i spoke to a very polite customer service agent, and man, for the first time i felt i was speaking to someone who actually care about listening to a customer. he looked into the emails and confirmed that the unit should of been or indicated as changed.
i confirmed to him that a it is the same serial number, all the marks were there and so on.

he is looking into the case and said that he will get back to me in couple hours.

i am waiting to see.

This was back in April so just curious how did you come out with your claim?
2016-8-23
Use props
roger.crawford
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41568 ft
United States

Exib Posted at 2016-3-24 14:47
I can't understand why when people have this type of issue they never put a direct link of the fligh ...

Some folks, and I know I'm guilty of it don't always instantly turn video on.
2016-8-23
Use props
gediminas
New

Lithuania

Where i can get cheap DJI?

------------------------------------------

www.vpsvetaines.lt/seo-paslaugos/
2016-9-21
Use props
KD'sPhantom
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5791 ft
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-24 15:21
Two alleged flyaways but no-one wants to give any information.
Without supplying flight record data  ...

ladroides,

Hi, I've only been on this Phantom 4 journey a few days and while I have some experience with drones, consider myself a complete and total rookie.  For a litte background, I do have extensive mechanical/electrical/technical experience with reliability engeering experience.  Yesterday, my new Phantom 4 quite unexpectedly took off like a bullet, climbed, banked right and crashed into the top of some trees.  I found the battery on the ground and when I dislogged the aircraft, it fell to the ground breaking a propeller. Looking for answers, I came across this site and your post intrigued me. I attempted to follow your instructions for "giving information" and was hoping the link below would be of some help.  If I may, I'd ask you (and others) to provide me with some feedback aimed at helping me to better understand the root cause for this incident.  I have no idea what might have caused this sudden and unpredictable behavior and don't plan to fly again until I better understand the influences which resulted in this incident.  After retrieving the drone, I did fly it again, but only took off and hovered, turned, took some video/pictures and landed to see if there was any damage.  I'm very happy to report only a slight scratch on the plastic camera lens cover which is undetectable on video/pictures.  I've removed it and I'm slowly buffing it out. I'm only slightly literate regarding the processes and protocols regarding the use of this site, so please forgive my... dumbassishness.  Lol.

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=bnIQNy

Thanks in advance,
Ken
2016-11-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KD'sPhantom Posted at 2016-11-23 23:55
ladroides,

Hi, I've only been a this a few days and while I have some experience with drones, con ...

Unfortunately Healthydrones only gives a very brief summary  and isn't much help with that sort of thing.
To get to see what was happening, go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Come back with a link and perhaps it will shed some light on your mystery.
2016-11-23
Use props
KD'sPhantom
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-23 21:09
Unfortunately Healthydrones only gives a very brief summary  and isn't much help with that sort of ...

Thanks a bunch for your willingness to help.  Much appreciated and hopefully; I will be able to reciprocate your kindness and generosity in the future.  I'm now off to attempt to follow your latest instruction.  Lol.  I've got about two hours into this endeavor thus far.  Hahaha.  If it's your first dive (no pun intended) into this stuff, it's actually quite humbling.  More to come and thanks!!
2016-11-23
Use props
KD'sPhantom
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-23 21:09
Unfortunately Healthydrones only gives a very brief summary  and isn't much help with that sort of ...

Labroids,

Gosh, that was an exercise in tenacity.  I'm not as tech savvy as I once was, I retired in 2012.  I believe I may have attached the link you'd need to make an assessment.  It appears to me to show the path Mr. Phantom took on the wild and crazy crash flight.  Still not sure of exactly the best way to attach the link I've found there at the HealthyDrone site.  Navigating into my iPhone from my PC (I have no idea how to access iTunes from my new ipad 4 mini , into iTunes and locating the Phantom flight records then saving them to my PC desktop etcetera, etcetera, is all new.  Gosh, what a learning curve!

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=lmqQqF

Again, I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to help.  You have already taught me some very valuable lessons.

Respectfully,
Ken

Just discovered what I think you meant.  Here is the latest link that I think you want.  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/1G5KX9D5WRZAWYYWHOMO/

Is this it??  
2016-11-23
Use props
KD'sPhantom
lvl.1
United States

KD'sPhantom Posted at 2016-11-23 23:28
Labroids,

Gosh, that was an exercise in tenacity.  I'm not as tech savvy as I once was, I retired  ...

On my iPad, when I navigate to the address you've indicated, and hit the "Browse" button, I only get "Take Photo or Video" and "Photo Library".  What am I doing wrong?  Embarrassing, so new...  Ha.
2016-11-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KD'sPhantom Posted at 2016-11-24 02:28
Labroids,

Gosh, that was an exercise in tenacity.  I'm not as tech savvy as I once was, I retired  ...

Hi KD .. Slowly getting there.
The flight record you uploaded to Phantomhelp.com, isn't the one we are interested in.
It only shows 17 seconds and it looks like there wasn't a takeoff in that time.
The two healthydrones logs are for two other flights.
Was the problem flight the one that went across the road?
The flight records have the data and time in their file names and that may help identify the correct one.
Unless you've flown since the incident, it should be the last one created.
One thing I notice is that the place you are flying is not a good location to be learning.
Trees are the number one enemy of Phantoms and flying with a lot of trees nearby is asking for trouble.
If you can find a large, open area with no trees, buildings or other obstacles, your training flights will be a lot safer.
2016-11-23
Use props
KD'sPhantom
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-24 05:59
Hi KD .. Slowly getting there.
The flight record you uploaded to Phantomhelp.com, isn't the one we  ...

Thanks Labroides.  Appreciate you patience while I learn this.  Yes, the flight in question is the one that went across he road.  I've actually flown since then, but only to check the drone for any internal damage.  I did a take off, rotate, picture, video and slight altitude/direction changes.  Everything seems to be working perfectly.  I'm not flying again until I know more about what I might have done to cause this.  I'd prefer to think it was not something initiated by the drone.  You are spot on!  ...There are a lot of trees which is why I was flying so low and slow.  If I went over six or eight feet is was straight up and straight back down.  The trees are at least 20-25 feet between them.  I got tired of waiting to go to another more suited location and only wanted to check it out to ensure it would fly.  Lol!  One of the battery's sent was defective so...

I'll attempt to send other logs if you think they may be helpful, but the one across the road is defiantly the one that crashed.

Thanks again for your time and willingness to help, very kind of you.

Ken
2016-11-23
Use props
KD'sPhantom
lvl.1
United States

KD'sPhantom Posted at 2016-11-24 08:10
Thanks Labroides.  Appreciate you patience while I learn this.  Yes, the flight in question is the ...

Labroides,

One of these should be the flight in question.  I believe it to be the first one.  Yes, it was the short flight that traveled across the road, as you suggested. Sorry, I made a mistake in my original selection.

DJIFlightRecord_2016-11-22_[16-36-46]

DJIFlightRecord_2016-11-22_[16-40-00]
2016-11-23
Use props
KD'sPhantom
lvl.1
United States

KD'sPhantom Posted at 2016-11-24 11:57
Labroides,

One of these should be the flight in question.  I believe it to be the first one.  Ye ...

That didn't appear to work, still trying.  Uggg.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/WCUAT62VROOZRVMMDLBE/

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/U9XMR257PKRBPRQYBHEQ/

2016-11-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KD'sPhantom Posted at 2016-11-24 14:59
KD'sPhantom Posted at 2016-11-24 11:57

That didn't appear to work, still trying.  Uggg.

Sorry ...those aren't from the problem flight.
But you managed to upload it to healthydrones so it's there somewhere.
If you can upload it to Phantomhelp.com, there's a good chance the mystery will be solved.
2016-11-25
Use props
KD'sPhantom
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-25 21:50
Sorry ...those aren't from the problem flight.
But you managed to upload it to healthydrones so it ...

Labroides, I have never made so many failed attempts at anything in my life!  Lol!  Sorry (AGAIN!).

Would you look at these and let me know if either (or both) are the logs you need to access my flight?  They are both the same flight and I confirmed using the HD site and observing the map.  You can make sense of this, but I'm still confused as to why one file may provide the necessary data while the other, exact same log will not.  Can you provide some feedback on with file is the correct one so that I can attempt to repeat the exercise in order to confirm/reinforce the process?

Much appreciated Labroids!
Ken

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogVi ... tRecord_2016-11-22_[15-40-06].txt

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0BZUX47GWMSKWUR6HJGY/

Here is what the flight looked like from HD.  Wow, learning a lot here.  Maybe not what I am intending to learn, haha, but learning nun the less.  ;)

https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... ge_id=GENERALPhotos

2016-11-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KD'sPhantom Posted at 2016-11-27 06:04
Labroides, I have never made so many failed attempts at anything in my life!  Lol!  Sorry (AGAIN!). ...

OK ... the flight data does confirm that from 9:50 the Phantom is accellerating without any joystick input and
going beyond the distance limit.
It's received the RTH command and ignored it too.
I'm surprised that the record doesn't show any of the "usual suspects" to give us an idea what may have caused this but it does show that something is wrong.
The Gimbal Roll Endpoint Reached message probably just indicates some violent movements.
Possibly (?) a factor in the incident I see the altitude readings are not right.
When the problem started you were steady at an indicated 7 feet (would that height be right?).
As it dashed off the altitude drops to -20 ft and climbs to +23 ft.
I'm not sure if it's just an out of calibration barometer or a clue that something in the IMU is malfunctioning.

The thing to do is to upload your flight records to DJI by clicking on the cloud icon in the app.
Then contact DJI online chat and tell them the story.
You can get them by clicking on the Online Support icon at the bottom of this page: http://www.dji.com/support/product/phantom-4
(that may not work on weekends)
They'll take it from there.
Good luck with that.
2016-11-26
Use props
KD'sPhantom
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-27 07:07
OK ... the flight data does confirm that from 9:50 the Phantom is accellerating without any joysti ...

Much appreciated Labroides.  Yes, the 7' height would be close, if not spot on.  I'll follow your instructions and report back as soon as I have something to share.  One more thing, I would really like to know which of the three files I shared had the data you needed.  The first, the second or the third???  Again, I have less than an hour experience with the P4 and all these support resources and am trying to learn.

Thanks again,
Ken
2016-11-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KD'sPhantom Posted at 2016-11-27 11:58
Much appreciated Labroides.  Yes, the 7' height would be close, if not spot on.  I'll follow your  ...

This is the file that had what I needed to see:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0BZUX47GWMSKWUR6HJGY/

And if that 7ft altitude is about right, the -20ft is not due to an out of calibration barometer but suggesting there were some strange things happening in the IMU at that time.
2016-11-26
Use props
KD'sPhantom
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-27 10:23
This is the file that had what I needed to see:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0BZUX47GWMSKW ...

Can not thank you enough!  You have taught me A LOT Labroides!

It was well above 20' at it's highest point.  In fact as some point the battery fell out and the aircraft became lodged in a tree about 30-35' above the ground, not it's highest point.  This whole incident was a total surprise!  Slowly flying along while walking behind and all of the sudden BAM!  The thing went crazy as fast as a darn bullet!

As a reliability engineer, you can imagine my reluctance to fly again until I have some substantive explanations.
2016-11-27
Use props
ELanto
New

Mexico

same thing happened to me I just uploaded : in my case i had the unit hovering not more than 10 feet from the floor, I was planning to take video and take the drone up and backwards to open the scene (I was at a lighthouse and I wanted to open to see the ocean) but out of nowhere the unit started to move towards meand almost hit me but I moved and it crashed with the light house behind me, my wife was with me and a little girl too. anyways, i didnt moved the sticks on the remote, i used the auto take off function but it was to low on air and started moving, i tried to move it myself with the remote with no success. and now I can still fly but the camera is out of level and there is this glitch that happens randomly: at some point, midflight i can only move the unit in one sigle direction either forward or to the sides, it dont matter if i try all other directions it keeps moving in only one direction. Note that i am new to this so i am very precaucios I did the compass calibration, i had the P mode and green good to fly gps indicator. also note that this was my very first flight after the update, this all happened the morning after my update. I chatted with DJI support but they didnt care at all for the logs she only said send it over and ill send you an invoice stating the cost and you will have to decide to either pay for the service or ask for us to send it back as is.  my logs but i seem to have some issues trying to create a new post. http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/595822DU0KZY0SYLMHMD/#
2017-2-1
Use props
fans7a8488bc
New
Flight distance : 10016 ft
United States

I had my phantom 4 pro just do its own crap as soon as I took off it went nuts took off and hit the door this happen twice at two different locations not sure why it did that but it hasn't done it since
2017-3-2
Use props
fans7a8488bc
New
United States

Hello all new to form
2017-3-2
Use props
fans7a8488bc
New
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-24 10:44
Phantoms can't record sound so this ones B.S.

Theres a way you can its called lume cube hooks to the drome so sound is possible now
2017-3-2
Use props
fans7a8488bc
New
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-24 10:44
Phantoms can't record sound so this ones B.S.

Theres a way you can its called lume cube hooks to the drome so sound is possible now
2017-3-2
Use props
Steamplane
lvl.1

Australia

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-3-20
Use props
Steamplane
lvl.1

Australia

Why was my post moderated??