Brand new Phantom 3 Standard arrived broken, RMA at my expense??
1372 13 2016-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
traclet
New

Canada

I'll start by saying I'm quite disapointed with my DJI experience thus far. That said, DJI has a golden opportunity to do the right thing and earn a highly satisifed repeat-customer.

I purchased a Phantom 3 Standard from the DJI website 2 weeks ago. I received my Phantom quickly and was very excited to get flying. I charged up the battery and controller, powered on the Phantom for the first time, and was greated by a screaching, metal-on-metal grinding noise emitting fromt he gimbal. I immediately knew I had a defective unit. Upon calibrating the IMU and gimbal numerous times, I made a few test flights to determine whether the grinding noise had any ill effect on video. Sadly, all of my videos are rife with vibration and the dreaded 'jello' effect. Seems my broken gimbal is not able to stablize at all.

I quickly engaged DJI support and had a response within 24 hours. After about a week, I was provided an RMA number and asked to send the Phantom to a repair facility in California. I got a shipping estimate of $110 to return my Phantom to DJI with its full value insured. This is on top of the $700+ I already spent on the Phantom. I was told to expect a 3-4 week wait on the repairs. Given that this was purchased specifically to shoot a wedding in April, this is not an option.

At this point, I would rather a full refund and simply buy a new Phantom. I am not interested in flying a repaired drone, especially not at $110more than the retail cost of a new unit. As with ANY major electronics manufactuer, I expect a pre-paid return shiping box mailed to me, so I can return the Phantom at no cost to myself. This is how HP, Dell, Sony, Apple and nearly every other electronics manufactuer operate. Dead-On-Arrival units are replaced immediately with no questions asked. DJI should be no different.

Let me know whether the DJI staff on this forum have any pull in the matter. I have already been in contact with support@dji.com and have grown tired of the 24-48 hour delays in response.

2016-3-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is your ticket number, let me see what i can do.
2016-3-23
Use props
telcart
New

Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-23 11:55

Thanks for your prompt reply, Ken.

I am sending my ticket # and RMA to your inbox as a private message.

Let me know if you needed any further info.

Cheers!
2016-3-23
Use props
telcart
New

Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-23 11:55

Hi again, I can't seem to PM you. Here's the ticket number: 271258

Thanks
2016-3-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

telcart Posted at 2016-3-24 00:00
Thanks for your prompt reply, Ken.

I am sending my ticket # and RMA to your inbox as a private me ...

I cannot accept requests, just post the ticket number.
2016-3-23
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

If it's covered by warranty then everything is supposed to be free. Give them a call. I used the same repair centre as you for my defective battery. Also, the grinding notice in the p3a is normal. It's the motors pushing the gimbal. Maybe post a video?
2016-3-23
Use props
telcart
New

Canada

Michael M Posted at 2016-3-23 12:06
If it's covered by warranty then everything is supposed to be free. Give them a call. I used the sam ...

Here's a video of the problem. I have a friend with a P3A and am familiar with the noise a gimbal is supposed to make, unfortunately this is not that noise:
2016-3-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

telcart Posted at 2016-3-24 00:02
Hi again, I can't seem to PM you. Here's the ticket number: 271258

Thanks

I saw the videos and looks like an issue if the Phantom has not been crashed.
Your ticket was issued 3/17, you qualify for a refund if your Phantom was delivered within 7 days of your ticket. Also you can do an exchange if your delivert date was within 15 days of your ticket.Your initial ticket says you received it earlier in the week so I'm guessing your delivery date was within the 7 days from when you started the ticket.
Go ahead and supply the proof of Purchase with the FedEx tracking number showing it was within 7 days and you will qualify for a full refund.
If it was over 7 days and within 15 days, you still quality for an exchange.
Either case, DJI will send you a shipping label for the refund or exchange.
I don't have access to your order, so provide the proof of purchase and the FedEx delivery date and your good to go.
Just reply to the ticket with all the info.
2016-3-23
Use props
telcart
New

Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-23 12:10
I sent you an email  ...

Thanks Ken. This was recorded before the Phantom was ever flown. I made a few test slights that all went really well, not even a rough landing.
2016-3-23
Use props
telcart
New

Canada

Your ticket was issue ...

Ken, this is great. Thank you so much!

Do you have an e-mail address where I can securely send you my proof of purchase?

Thanks again.
2016-3-23
Use props
telcart
New

Canada

Your ticket was issue ...

Order Date: 2016-03-07
Delivered: 2016-03-15
Ticket Created: 2016-03-17

Let me know where I can e-mail the other info.  The tracking info contains some personal information.
2016-3-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

telcart Posted at 2016-3-24 00:35
Order Date: 2016-03-07
Delivered: 2016-03-15
Ticket Created: 2016-03-17

reply to the ticket with your proof of purchase and FedEx tracking info, not here.
And someone will contact you. I do not work in that department.
2016-3-23
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

Michael M Posted at 2016-3-23 12:06
If it's covered by warranty then everything is supposed to be free. Give them a call. I used the sam ...

"the grinding notice in the p3a is normal. It's the motors pushing the gimbal"  Its not normal.Where did you come up with that.Grinding noises are never normal.
2016-3-23
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Elmer Fudd Posted at 2016-3-23 20:09
"the grinding notice in the p3a is normal. It's the motors pushing the gimbal"  Its not normal.Whe ...

Some may call it a grinding notice.mthe p3 gimbal fdoes make a clickinto noise soemtimes when it's trying to adjust but after watching the video it is definitely not nirmal and should be sent in for repair
2016-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules