Return Phantom 4, alternatives?
2699 15 2016-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
granne
lvl.1

United States

So, given the fact that the gimbal roll is still an issue, and given the fact that my phantom 4 failed auto gimbal calibration 5x in a row on a perfectly level surface, DJI has offered to 'repair' my drone.

Additionally, based on my own experience with FPV cutting out, and reports that the drone itself has a reduced range, I am let down to say the least. Yeah I can see through the marketing BS with the follow me mode, yeah I can see through the photoshopped BS pictures for the phantom 4, but I cant get over this whole 3.2 mile range, and get a few hundred feet away and have the FPV cut out.

Part of me wants to say screw you  dji, and get a refund and get a higher quality drone for my filming needs like the inspire (any issues there?)
The other part wants to say, meh so what, ill keep it till something better comes out from gopro, then sell the drone on ebay for a slight loss.
The other part wants to say, yeah lets get it repaired. BUT id rather get a refund, and go find another DJI in an apple store that hopefully doesnt have the same problem to save time because who knows how long it will take to 'repair' something that has inherant problems to the way it was designed.

Also, I ordered an additional battery from DJI a week ago, and no shipping confirmation. Time to start sending shit back.

2016-3-23
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a P3PRO. It is everything they say it is. The light bridge system will reach out 1.5+ miles with a clear LOS. The camera is great and it has been a pleasure to fly this highly advanced quad. The P3PRO will run into things if you so desire and won't fly as fast as the P4 in "sport mode". If you are looking for a flying camera that you will be happy with......P3Pro is the way to go!
2016-3-23
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft

I think if I was in the same position I would get a refund and try one more time before moving on. Just get the new one from a place that gives you a no hassle easy return.
2016-3-23
Use props
granne
lvl.1

United States

Well, i just received an email from DJI care, stating I could not return it for a refund, it has been less than a week (received on the 18th, now it is the 23rd)

Not only that, but they are rubbing salt into the wound by stating the reason that their drone cannot be returned was because I already flew it. Now, let me ask you something DJI.... How does one find out that the drone  horizon not level WITHOUT flying the drone? Only to try and fix the problem by imu calibration on level surface to find out that the gimbal will not calibrate? I am going to fight this to the bitter end until I get my refund. This is horrendous customer service.
2016-3-23
Use props
gurnpj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103609 ft
United States

granne@hotmail. Posted at 2016-3-23 14:03
Well, i just received an email from DJI care, stating I could not return it for a refund, it has bee ...

Wow. I can't believe that was the response. Apple has been very kind to those wanted to return and they know how to treat their customers right. DJI should take a lesson from their book. There is no way to know if the drone is in good working order without flight and if you can't return it because you flew it once then that is absurd.
2016-3-23
Use props
Bennyboy1983
lvl.3
Flight distance : 141089 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dji customer service is a joke!, company's an absolute joke. I'm STILL waiting for a lost battery!, I got sent a empty box FFS!.
2016-3-23
Use props
DroneSpeed
Ban Posts

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-23
Use props
nickmedici
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88287 ft
United States

Everyone is freaking out about the range. They think because it says 3.1 miles that they should be able to get that wherever they fly. If you have a P3 and fly to the same spot and lose signal then there you go and I mean fly in the exact same path.
2016-3-23
Use props
DroneSpeed
Ban Posts

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-23
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

granne@hotmail. Posted at 2016-3-23 20:03
Well, i just received an email from DJI care, stating I could not return it for a refund, it has bee ...

Another reason I'll never buy a drone direct from DJI.  I want to have normal UK buyer protection or better.  Buying from China is no better than buying off eBay IMO.  In fact, eBay probably gives you more protection if you pick up any faults early enough.
2016-3-23
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

DroneSpeed Posted at 2016-3-24 04:45
No. I NEVER expect to get 3.1 miles. I expect to get equal range to that of my P3, which it does n ...

Now in the past, DJI has had an optional power reduction dial on the RC to help comply with countries who have stricter rules. Is there a chance that is the issue on the P4 and it could simply be increased by turning a dial/switch etc?

Anyhow, sorry about the other issues. Personally, I would ship it back to DJI for repairs. Then sale it once it's in good working order later.

I don't have an Inspire but I have seriously thought about buying one. Now I haven;'t really looked into the reviews much but I haven't heard of them having half the issues I see here in the P2/P3 boards.
2016-3-23
Use props
granne
lvl.1

United States

The point is that there was an issue (horizon being off) that can only be determined AFTER you fly it.  Then i found out that the gimbal would not calibrate.

I get why they may be so strict with refunds, because there are loads of idiots out there crashing their drones and trying to return them (hence dji care), but im a responsible pilot and has tons of experience flying rc helicopters before quadcopters and eventually drones were even a thing. the drone is super super SUPER easy to fly, but the horizon and gimbal issue are just bad, so bad that I want a refund because I just got the drone.

So i am looking at their return policy that states 1.b. you can request a refund if there is a manufacturing defect within 7 calendar days of receipt. Well, I am WELL WITHIN those limits, and they are still flinging mud in my face by saying repair only, no refund. WTF1?!?!
2016-3-23
Use props
QptBgKW3dSEn
New

granne@hotmail. Posted at 2016-3-24 06:01
The point is that there was an issue (horizon being off) that can only be determined AFTER you fly i ...

Caveat Emptor.  Know this - even if you send it in for repair, you'll get screwed. They won't repair it, they'll send you back a 'refurbished' drone.  I know this from experience.  DJI needs to go away. Badly.

I'll likely try to sell my P4 and buy an Autel or other.
2016-11-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

QptBgKW3dSEn Posted at 2016-11-8 14:04
Caveat Emptor.  Know this - even if you send it in for repair, you'll get screwed. They won't repa ...

'I'll likely try to sell my P4 and buy an Autel or other. '

Yes, I think you should do that.
2016-11-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-11-8 05:38
'I'll likely try to sell my P4 and buy an Autel or other. '

Yes, I think you should do that.

+1 , that seems like a good prognosis
2016-11-8
Use props
fans7984fc8d
lvl.1

Australia

Absolutely get a Antenna Mod ITELITE DBS. warranty no more range issues or weak signals, Have done them to both my PH3A and PH4
2016-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules