USB ports STILL not working after "repair"
1827 22 2016-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stephen.h.watso
lvl.2

United States

Just got my P3P back from the so-called repair shop...neither USB port is working (the one on the camera when connected to the computer, and the one on the body when connected and the drone put in to Data Whatever mode, whatever it's called).  This was *specifically noted* on the repair request as item #2 (first was the camera gimbal failing...again).

Any suggestions here?  Or will it need to go in for a THIRD "repair".
2016-3-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

' Data Whatever mode, whatever it's called'

This phrase is not a good sign. It tends to indicate you are not very conversant with handling your computer hardware.
2016-3-24
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Stephen,
  What are you connecting with? MAC/PC/other???
2016-3-24
Use props
stephen.h.watso
lvl.2

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-24 17:33
' Data Whatever mode, whatever it's called'

This phrase is not a good sign. It tends to indicate yo ...

Uh, yeah...I happen to have a Master's in Computer Science.  It's "Flight Data Mode", and it's entered by accessing the Advanced Settings and selecting it, then connecting the drone body to the computer via USB cable.

Happy now?

terrylewis...tried to different PCs (don't have a Mac)
2016-3-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

stephen.h.watso Posted at 2016-3-25 11:56
Uh, yeah...I happen to have a Master's in Computer Science.  It's "Flight Data Mode", and it's ent ...

Then why play dumb?
The odds are pretty high for two USB ports to be faulty, particularly when they are connected to two different and completel seperate sub-systems inside the aircraft. It would tend to suggest there is a cable problem, or something like that.
2016-3-24
Use props
nickmedici
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88287 ft

Agreed^^ possible problem with computer too. You try using a different computer?
2016-3-24
Use props
stephen.h.watso
lvl.2

United States

Yes, I've tried different cables.  Yes, I've tried different computers.  Same message on the computer each time: "USB Device Not Recognized" etc.

I don't even know if DJI tested this when it was in for repair...they give no indication what they did, other than an invoice which shows a replacement of the camera (so that makes 3 cameras for this one drone already).
2016-3-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

stephen.h.watso Posted at 2016-3-25 12:52
Yes, I've tried different cables.  Yes, I've tried different computers.  Same message on the compute ...

'USB Device Not Recognized'

Now we are getting somewhere. The computer obviously can detect that the USB port is present, but it does not know what to do with it. That pretty much tells me that the USB port is most likely quite OK, just that your computer cannot deal with it. If the port was defective, you would not get that message.

What operating system do you have on your PC?
BTW, DJI never explain what they did during a repair, it appears to a be a Chinese culture thing, you don't need to know what was done in their opinion.

2016-3-24
Use props
stephen.h.watso
lvl.2

United States

Windows 7.  

I have a friend with a P3P who just got his back from repair (cracks), who said he will try his.  If his works, then we'll try my P3P on his computer.

Funny, though, how I've never had *any* trouble with *any* other USB connection to any device.  And I have drawers full of USB cables, not one of which has ever been "bad", so I'm a little tired of the "try a different cable" nonsense, too.  BTW, one of the cables I tried?  The one that came from DJI.
2016-3-24
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Question,  has Dji been doing these repairs under warranty,  no charge?
2016-3-24
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-24 22:20
'USB Device Not Recognized'

Now we are getting somewhere. The computer obviously can detect that t ...

If you really want to install the drivers for the DJI you can get them from the developers site.  @OP What university did you receive a Comp Sci masters from?

https://developer.dji.com/mobile-sdk/downloads/
2016-3-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

stephen.h.watso Posted at 2016-3-25 14:43
Windows 7.  

I have a friend with a P3P who just got his back from repair (cracks), who said he wil ...

'Funny, though, how I've never had *any* trouble with *any* other USB connection to any device. '

Normally true, because the computer can usually go and get a driver once it identifies the USB device, but it is quite conceivable that the USB ports do not offer proper identification. As Nink says below, you could try getting the drivers from the DJI site.
2016-3-24
Use props
stephen.h.watso
lvl.2

United States

I'd try that, if I could find where they are.  I looked all over for them previously.  If someone can point me to the download file, I'll happily try it.

Edit:  Ah, I missed a post...I see the link above, will try that.
2016-3-24
Use props
stephen.h.watso
lvl.2

United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-3-24 20:52
Question,  has Dji been doing these repairs under warranty,  no charge?

Yes, but given the delays for "troubleshooting", then shipping, then repair, then shipping back, etc., I've had this for 2 months and only been able to use it a fraction of the time.  Very disappointing.
2016-3-24
Use props
ArcticM39
lvl.2

United States

I have read your other threads, and I must say that you simply have no luck with the P3.
Perhaps, it was never meant to be.

I have had multiple "USB Device Not Recognized" errors once on a Win 7 machine.
It turned out be a faulty USB receptacle on the PC.
I plug the USB device into another USB receptacle and the device was recognized.
But, I am sure you probably already tried that.
2016-3-24
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

stephen.h.watso Posted at 2016-3-25 00:50
Yes, but given the delays for "troubleshooting", then shipping, then repair, then shipping back, e ...

Well if I had a masters in Computer Science I probably would have done a quick continuity test on the cable and found no fault, then put a multi meter on the USB port and checked for 5 volts on pin 1 and pin 4 and then maybe even plugged something like a USB beagle port analyzer in. But I would have only done that after I saw the glaring error hey USER install the windows 7  DJI device drivers before sending your drone back to DJI as this should have been a dead giveaway
2016-3-24
Use props
stephen.h.watso
lvl.2

United States

ArcticM39 Posted at 2016-3-24 22:06
I have read your other threads, and I must say that you simply have no luck with the P3.
Perhaps, it ...

Yes...I have 3 USB ports on this computer...no luck on any of them.  Or with another cable.  Or another computer.
2016-3-24
Use props
stephen.h.watso
lvl.2

United States

Nink Posted at 2016-3-24 22:09
Well if I had a masters in Computer Science I probably would have done a quick continuity test on t ...

Yeah, because that's what every purchaser of a consumer electronics device should have to go through after spending a thousand dollars on their device.

Or, hey, here's an idea...the company could just make a better quality product.  Maybe hire some better engineers, you know, that sort of thing.

But thanks for your smart-ass comments.  They've been SUPER helpful.
2016-3-24
Use props
stephen.h.watso
lvl.2

United States

Nink Posted at 2016-3-24 22:09
Well if I had a masters in Computer Science I probably would have done a quick continuity test on t ...

BTW, you'll note that I mentioned that I searched all over this goofy website and couldn't FIND the drivers.  But yes, I just installed them with the same results.  But hey, who wouldn't prefer to sit around all evening troubleshooting USB ports, installing/uninstalling/reinstalling drivers (which *should* be unnecessary), firing up a couple of computers, plugging in different cables, rebooting them and the drone multiple times, and all while enjoying the oh-so-witty banter on the forum, than maybe, you know, FLYING their expensive toy?

Sorry, but my multimeter is at the hangar, where I use it (rarely) to keep my real airplane flying.
2016-3-24
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

Takes deep breath

1) What are you trying to do
a) upgrade your bios
b) Develop software to talk direct to DJI device

I hope it is a

If this is the case just stick the bios on a Flash chip and put it in the quad as per the tutorial.  

If it is b then get back to us.
2016-3-24
Use props
stephen.h.watso
lvl.2

United States

Whew.  Finally got it to work...took 3 times installing/uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, but...SUCCESS!

Now...I'll apologize for being short with you, Nink.  As you can tell, I was getting frustrated by the whole mess, particularly since I shouldn't have had to do it in the first place.

I'm not touching any of the updates yet.  All the reports of poor performance and issues with them, I think I'll just keep it right where it is until I get a chance to verify that the camera is fixed permanently.

I frankly wouldn't care about the ports, but DJI wanted me to download the data files the last time while troubleshooting, and the USB problem prevented that...now, hopefully, that problem is fixed.

And thanks for the link to the driver...it was well hidden!
2016-3-24
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

stephen.h.watso Posted at 2016-3-25 01:41
Whew.  Finally got it to work...took 3 times installing/uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, but... ...

Sorry. Lack of sleep on my part.

The major issue is people usually plug cable into gimble and not into quad (USB hidden behind plastic cover).  I agree should see quad without drivers but several people say it doesn't recognize it.  
2016-3-24
Use props
stephen.h.watso
lvl.2

United States

Nink Posted at 2016-3-24 22:54
Sorry. Lack of sleep on my part.

The major issue is people usually plug cable into gimble and no ...

Yeah, it's all good now.  Hopefully, won't have a reason to plug it into the quad in the future   In my younger days, I'd have a blast with the SDK and mess around with writing some apps, but I'm too old and haven't done actual programming in a looooong time.  LOL!

Thanks to everyone for the assistance tonight.  As you can tell, I've been more than a bit irritated by the problems that I've encountered.  I'm *really* hoping I'm "over the hump" and can just go enjoy flying this thing from now on...
2016-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules