P3A - Reception Level
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveReidPhoto
lvl.2

Australia

Hi All,
Just a quick note (not a whinge) that i was flying my P3A today and was having a great flight.

I was at approx 2.3km from "home" and was surprised to still have 100% coverage on both HD and Controller.  However in the next second (litterially in a second), i had no reception. zero - complete disconnect from aircraft.

But heres the kicker, i was able to still fly without LiveView, i was able to turn the aircraft around, and start to fly back towards me.  I recovered ~300meters and then it appeared to RTH.

Luckily i was flying out in the open ( with nothing around me) and RTH happened and went upto 80 meters and came back safely.  Obviously along the way i reestablished Video and Remote Control and all was well.

My questions are:
1: Why does it go from 100% (indicated) reception to nothing - why did it not go to 75% -> 50% -> 25% etc....
2: why when no reception (apparent disconnect on RC and LiveView) can i still fly it back
3: why when flying it back and closer to "home" does it then RTH

As for Question 3, i can assume that interference just caused it, but i was flying back along the area that i traveled so i would have expected to run out of reception on the way out.

Whats your thoughts?
2016-3-25
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Don't forget antenna orientation.
2016-3-25
Use props
DaveReidPhoto
lvl.2

Australia

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-3-26 06:23
Don't forget antenna orientation.

thanks for the reply, i should add that the antennas were both directly up, and the long edge facing the aircraft.
2016-3-25
Use props
rover.hoofdman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1023182 ft
Netherlands

DaveReidPhoto Posted at 2016-3-25 23:29
thanks for the reply, i should add that the antennas were both directly up, and the long edge faci ...

I have the same with my p3a. I strongly believe it's the last RC update through the Go App that gives these problems.
2016-3-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

'1: Why does it go from 100% (indicated) reception to nothing - why did it not go to 75% -> 50% -> 25% etc....'

Because it is a digital transmission, look up the term Cliff Effect on Google. When radio systems transmit digital information, there are errtor correction elements in the transmission that fix up errors on the fly, but when the signal finally gets too weak, the correction stops, and the signal loss is like 'it fell off a cliff'. Therefore there is no gradual fade-off of the signal.

'2: why when no reception (apparent disconnect on RC and LiveView) can i still fly it back'

The Phantom uses two completely different radio systems, one for control and the other for the Lightbridge FPV system. The FPV system is less tolerant of signal loss and usually fails first, hence you still have the other radio system to control the aircraft.

'3: why when flying it back and closer to "home" does it then RTH'

Possibly because your battery got down to the RTH threshhold level.

2016-3-25
Use props
DaveReidPhoto
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-26 06:54
'1: Why does it go from 100% (indicated) reception to nothing - why did it not go to 75% -> 50% -> 2 ...

thanks for the reply.  the answer to question 1 makes a lot of sense.

In regards to question 2 i think i have written the question confusingly.  I understand that there is 2 antenna's etc, but what i intended to write was why when the remote is disconnected (E.g: RC Control) and also LiveView disconnected can i still control it.  it was only for a short time, but the remote had no status that it was connected on either antenna yet i could still fly.  maybe it was just one of those things.

Question 3: nah it wasnt that, it was the prolonged signal disconnection which caused it, but in relation to question 2, if i had control - but the control was alerting that there wasnt any connection, it then RTH'd.

Anyway all good.
2016-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules