United Kingdom

How do I update the RC?
2016-3-25
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Download the Bin file only of the update to a fresh formatted SD  card  ( Do not format on a Mac ) Then place SD card into aircraft and then Turn on the Aircraft.  DO NOT HAVE TRANSMITTER ON DURING AIRCRAFT UPDATE.  When the update is completed, ( Make sure you have the Green light solid and the succes tone )  turn off aircraft and re-install next battery and begin  again.  Some folks check for success after the first firware by placing SD card into the computer and look for the "success " update in the log. Then clear the SD card and reinstall the bin file for each battery.  The battery updates only take about 5 minutes each .

The RC is updated through the I-pad ( or other) and the RC .  Make sure you have wireless internet available.  The go app should  inform you of the updates, I like to log into the DJI website as well.  Then simply begin the update on the RC.  Make sure Aircraft is off and that you have plenty of battery charge on the RC.  Make sure you have an excellent internet connection and preferably NOT a cellular  on you device.  Use a Stationary solid home network for best results.   DO NOT INTERUPT THE UPDATE ONTHE TRANSMITTER

***I assume you have a Advance or Pro Phantom .
*** I also assume you are past update 1.3 on the Transmitter because before that the updates are done with a SD card on the USB of Transmitter.[

Good luck - donnie

TIPS  For Phantom Advanced and Pro  Uploading firmware:
Updates will look like this when complete:
App  version 2.71
Aircraft    version 1.7.60 or the old FW with a +
RC    version 1.5.80
If you have a + sign after the old firmware it means it has loaded but must get confimed with DJI servers.  Make sure you have WI- FI  internet connection ( Like during FW download) and it may take a couple days . (DJI Ken)

-  After 1.3 the update FOR the Transmitter is NOT through the SD Card it is through The DJI go app and WI-FI connection. MUST HAVE WI- FI CONNECTION WITH INTERNET ACCESS.

-Always update the aircraft first, when possible.

-Make sure you download the proper firmware.  If you have the Pro make sure not downloading for the Advanced or Standard. Double check!

-Make sure you only download the Bin File to the FRESH FORMATTED SD CARD Root Directory.  The Root Directory is just a fancy word for "Make sure Not in a folder "  You want just the BIN file on the SD card , Nothing else .

-Make sure transmitter is NOT on when downloading Firmware to aircraft (VERY IMPORTANT)

-When installing SD with firmware to the  Aircraft, make sure it is off. Then turn on aircraft, the firmware will then begin load.  1- Load sd card with firmware to aircraft 2- turn on aircraft

-You can jump FROM 1.3 TO 1.6   or ** (1.7 )  BUT if you have any difficulty you must stair step from current firmware to get to the latest firmware.   If at 1.2 must install 1.3 then you jump or stairstep to 1.7 .** I am getting conflicting reports and your best bet is to stop at 1.6 and do battery upgrades then go to1.7   ***THIS CAME FROM DJI TECHNICAL SUPPORT- ( I see a lot less problems when Pilots go in order.......Play it smart)  This is much easier if you just stay up to date.

-All the firmware numbers for the RC - aircraft- Go App - Camera WONT BE THE SAME. For example the current aircraft firmware is 1.7.0.60 but the RC Firmware is 1.5.80.  A LOT OF FOLKS GET CONFUSED ON THIS   (Including Yours Truly when first starting out.)

-Sometimes only the aircraft gets an update and not RC Transmitter   Read the pdf on the downloads page so you know what’s going on for example 1.6.0.40 is only for the aircraft and batteries.

-Make sure to read what each update is effecting. For example 1.6.0.4.0 will require each battery to be updated as well. Keep Informed.

-Macs’ sometimes do not format SD cards well. When Formatting  Success is in doubt  FORMAT ON THE AIRCRAFT, go to camera settings on dji go app , open the tool icon , on bottom is Format SD  card option.

When Updating on the aircraft you will hear a "Four beat tone" dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd and flashing gren and red lights .

-Updates sometimes take a while, wait for the tone to change to  a " One beat pause two beat  tone"  d-dd d-dd d-dd d-dd d-dd d-dd d-dd  or the solid  green light even better.  ( Phantom Camera Gimbal Assembly )

-If you hear a long  " No pause beat "   dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd  update has failed. Try again.  Remove SD card and Place in computer and look at the File "Result" or the Hidden file to get to the Nitty Gritty.  Use search magnifying glass "Hidden File" tutorial.

-Updating is not an option for just the aircraft, IF there is also an update at that time for the Transmitter you MUST do it.

-To find out your current Firmware: Make sure The Aircraft, Transmitter, and GO-APP are all on. Now go to the “Main Video Flight Screen” , Tap the right hand corner for “ Settings” on the Very Left Bottom of  tab icons  you will see -  - -  this is the “ General Settings   Go to  “About “  Here you will find current Firmware on each device.  If you only see the “App Version  it is because you did not turn everything on .

-If you load the firmware with success but it does not update in the “About” section on the Go App “General Settings” be sure to Re- Boot your Device with the Go App, also restart the aircraft and Transmitter .  

-If you get a + sign after you install the firmware,  (ie: 1.6.040+) It is OK, re-boot and make sure your device has wi-fi  and internet access.  It should update once it is up to date with DJI servers. ( This may take a couple days though because of all the updates)

-Updates for the Phantom Standard are Only Done through GO-App and Wi-Fi, no SD Firmware to upload.

- You cant Rollback the Battery Firmware once installed. Once Installed that’s it.  ( Battery Only)

-When doing a Rollback, confirm the Current firmware on the Aircraft and then Rollback Firmware in Order.  If at 1.6 you can only Rollback to 1.5. If at 1.7 can only rollback to 1.6

I hope this helps anyone struggeling ,  Please add your tips and I will add them to the list.

All the best to you and yours - donnie

2016-3-25
Use props
mana.ram.1974
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1528688 ft
United States

WOW! way tooo much info but yes.
2016-3-25
Use props
abturkington
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-25 14:32
Download the Bin file only of the update to a fresh formatted SD  card  ( Do not format on a Ma ...

Thanks so much!

I have got the Aircraft to update 1.7

But could you tell me is the new 1.7 update just for the drone or is it for batteries and RC as well?
2016-3-25
Use props
digdat0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft

abturkington Posted at 2016-3-25 23:03
Thanks so much!

1.7 updates the drone and battery. There is also an update for the rc and camera, but that's via the Dji go  also updated Dji go at as well.
2016-3-25
Use props
abturkington
lvl.2

United Kingdom

digdat0@gmail.c Posted at 2016-3-25 15:25
1.7 updates the drone and battery. There is also an update for the rc and camera, but that's via t ...

Thanks very much
2016-3-25
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

mana.ram.1974 Posted at 2016-3-25 10:45
WOW! way tooo much info but yes.

I simply answered the man's question, and added a Tips sheet. Most people appreciate the information. I really don't give a shit if you don't like the length of the post. You are one of those guys who knew it all from day One, and I see from all of your helpful contributions that your one to pay it forward ? If you can't add something constructive don't say anything at all.

Capiche
2016-3-25
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

abturkington Posted at 2016-3-25 23:03
Thanks so much!

1.6 was actually the update for the batteries. Did you do that update or did you skip it and go right to 1.7?. Everything has an update on this go-round the go app the RC and the aircraft. If I were you I would stay in order and update the batteries at 1.6 and then go on to 1.7and then upload 1.7
2016-3-25
Use props
abturkington
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-25 15:46
1.6 was actually the update for the batteries. Did you do that update or did you skip it and go ri ...

I was on 1.6 so everything should have been up to date and ready for 1.7
2016-3-25
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

abturkington Posted at 2016-3-25 11:05
I was on 1.6 so everything should have been up to date and ready for 1.7

Yes , you are all set, If you updated the batteries with 1.6 you are all set.

-donnie
2016-3-25
Use props
Kevtech QC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 125617 ft
Canada

RE: Firmware Update

Hi Fellow Quad Pilots,

I recently updated my firmware to the new version v1.7.0060 fro my P3P which I previously had v1.6.0040 and did this with the RC * Go App on, it seemed to take the update okay as was confirmed on the display as well as the camera gimbal light.  My question is do I have to re-calibrate my IMU, camera (gimbal) and camera settings, compass, and other settings that were set on the previous firmware?  One other question, do I have to update my flight batteries as well, as they still show a history ( not much history), as I have only flown the unit a few times and have not yet broken in the batteries (3).  I am still using IOS Go App V1.60, not sure if I need to update this as well.  

Any advice on the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Kevin
2016-3-25
Use props
abturkington
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Kevtech QC Posted at 2016-3-25 17:49
Hi Fellow Quad Pilots,

I recently updated my firmware to the new version v1.7.0060 fro my P3P whic ...

You could probably calibrate everything again just to be on the safe side when you update to 1.7.
Everything on the DJI GO app will be reset when you update the app (and yes update the app) so you will have to change everything back to normal like camera settings and RTH height etc so write them down if you cant remember them. I am pretty sure as long as the firmware is still on the SD card in your drone any batteries that you put in it that need updated will do so automatically when you turn everything on.
Hope this helps
2016-3-25
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

abturkington Posted at 2016-3-25 13:29
You could probably calibrate everything again just to be on the safe side when you update to 1.7.

I am pretty sure that most of the settings like Expo, RTH, gain setc ,  are stored on the aircraft.  Now the camera settings , you are correct will be erased.  The reason I made note of this is I just had to delete and re-install my go app and realized all of the "MC" master control settings on the aircraft were saved.  The reason why is say for example you lost the RC completely , you dropped it and it shattered while flying, the aircraft will still have these settings in Memory and return home using the correct rth settings.  That is why when you make changes to the MC like Expo or Gain that when you shut down the system you do it in this order. aircraft off  transmitter off  go app off.  This way the settings are locked in the aircraft because it was shut down first.  

-donnie
2016-3-25
Use props
Kevtech QC
lvl.1
Canada

abturkington Posted at 2016-3-25 12:29

I appreciate the info and will do that this evening when I charge up a battery.  I didn't know that the batteries had to be recalibrated or updated every time there was a aircraft firmware update, that is good to know.   I will also update my Go App, and yes write the settings down first.

Thank you,
Kevin
2016-3-25
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

Kevtech QC Posted at 2016-3-25 12:49
Hi Fellow Quad Pilots,

I recently updated my firmware to the new version v1.7.0060 fro my P3P whic ...

Yes always good practice to update the IMU and Compass after FW update.   The batteries were updated in 1.6.  as long as you did the update for the batteries on 1.6 there is no update on the batteries in 1.7 UNLESS you did not update them previously.

The History has nothing to do with updates, they just want to be cycled every 10 flights.  Take the battery from full charge down below 5 % every 10 charges.  
Make sure you update the IMU on a perfectly flat indoor surface, also stay away from it for 10 minutes becasue even approaching it the floor can vibrate.  Do the camera calibration right after the IMU as you are ona level surface and it is the perfect time to do so .  Takes 15 min. top for the whole procedure.

Double check that go app, it  should be at 2.7.1
Hope that helps

email me if you have other questions and you cant find answerson the forum   donaldjames1990@gmail.com  I will answer as soon as I can

2016-3-25
Use props
Kevtech QC
lvl.1
Canada

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-25 13:03
Yes always good practice to update the IMU and Compass after FW update.   The batteries were update ...

I checked the new go app and seen a lot of negative reviews about the new v2.7.1.  It seems people are complaining that the camera view is all pixelated and other issues were encountered as well.  What is your advice on this?

Kevin
2016-3-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just follow the onscreen prompts. If there is an update available that you have not done, the app will ask you to do it.
2016-3-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-25 10:32
Download the Bin file only of the update to a fresh formatted SD  card  ( Do not format on a Ma ...

The Phantom 4 updates from the smart device.
2016-3-25
Use props
nchiap
New

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-25 22:32

Updating the firmware stopped at 40% I tried 3 times, and now when I turn on the Phantom 3 Standard it doesn’t connect to the app or the remote control and it continues beeping loud. I deleted and installed the app again and formatted the SDcard Any idea? thank you
2016-3-26
Use props
nchiap
New

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-25 22:32

I deleted and reinstalled the app.  I did a firmware update (it seems it was for the RC, current version 1.3.5.0) , when I turn on the aircraft the firmware version changes to 1.4.6.0
The aircraft produces a continues sond:  Beep Beep Beep................. Beep Beep ............
2016-3-26
Use props
Kevtech QC
lvl.1
Canada

nchiap Posted at 2016-3-26 19:22
I deleted and reinstalled the app.  I did a firmware update (it seems it was for the RC, current ...

For which aircraft are you trying to install the updates?  I just updated all the firmware for my P3P version 1.7.0060, also the RC unit to V1.5.80, and finally the IOS V2.7.1 Go App for my Ipad Mini.  I then recalibrated the IMU and also the camera gimbal and will recalibrate the compass before my next flight.

2016-3-26
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

nchiap Posted at 2016-3-26 05:49
Updating the firmware stopped at 40% I tried 3 times, and now when I turn on the Phantom 3 Standar ...

The SD card on the Phantom Standard has nothing to do with firmware uploads .  All the updates on the standard are done through the WI -FI  .  The updates with  the SD card do not pertain to your aircraft.  Only the Phantom Advanced and Pro and P4  are updated through the SD card.
Make sure when updating , that you have a reliable wi -fi signal.  Use a home system rather than a cell system as the amount of data can be corrupted on the cell internet signal.  

Dont feel bad , you are not the first one confused by this, I have seen this many times.  Good Luck  

-donnie   
2016-3-26
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

Kevtech QC Posted at 2016-3-25 16:11
I checked the new go app and seen a lot of negative reviews about the new v2.7.1.  It seems people ...

Kevin,  I personally have not had any problems with the new  GO App, I believe the pix-elation is only on the Phantom 4.  I am sure they will have it resolved soon,  I personally stay on top of all updates, if there are problems DJI will sort them out, you could wait maybe a week, but eventually you are going to have to do it.

Good Luck-  donnie
2016-3-26
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

rodger Posted at 2016-3-26 02:43
The Phantom 4 updates from the smart device.

Roger, I am not sure which post you are referring.  I know the original Poster was asking about a P3P .  Sorry , I am confused on what you are referring, please tell me because I respect your post's and opinions and dont want to screw anyone up.  
Cheers Roger - donnie
2016-3-26
Use props
Kevtech QC
lvl.1
Canada

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-27 01:41
Kevin,  I personally have not had any problems with the new  GO App, I believe the pix-elation is  ...

Donnie, I did all the updates for my PH3P, and recalibrated the IMU & camera gimbal, just have to recalibrate the compass before the next flight.  I am now up-to-date with aircraft firmware, RC firmware, and Go App update.

Funny thing is my Ipad Mini which is only a month old (bought new) and has IOS V9.2.1 is showing an update to V9.3 and when I tried to update using Wi-Fi it says "No connection - try later".  So I hooked it up to ITunes on my Win 7 PC and it tells me that my current IOS version 9.2.1 is up-to-date and will check again on March 30th.  My Iphone 5S also has the same update reminder for V9.3 and the same thing happened when I tried to update it through ITunes  (running most current ITunes version as well), so go figure (LOL).

By the way I really appreciate your help and suggestions, keep up the good work as it looks to me like many people on the forum respect your posts as I do.

Thanks,
Kevin
2016-3-26
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

Kevtech QC Posted at 2016-3-26 13:47
Donnie, I did all the updates for my PH3P, and recalibrated the IMU & camera gimbal, just have to  ...

My pleasure, Happy to help Kevin, remember when doing the compass cal.  Keep the transmitter back at least 10 feet, make sure you have no metal on your person including wrist watch and no change in pocket, preferably in a open field ( concrete sometimes has rebar) do it once and then only repeat if you upgrade FW, travel more than 150 miles from that cal. site, have a real hard landing or it is not flying correctly.  

Go out and Have some fun, I am going to fly my Inspire this evening, it looks like a perfect night in Michigan.  If you need any help that you cant find on the forum  send me an e mail donaldjames1990@gmail.com

Thanks for the Nice words, I appreciate that - donnie
2016-3-26
Use props
Kevtech QC
lvl.1
Canada

The PH3P is flying beautifully after all the updates and recalibrations were performed.  Went through three
batteries late this afternoon and its has a nice locked in feeling with fluid like movement, truly enjoyable.
Still breaking in the batteries with lighter flight demands and running the batteries down to about 50% before
fully recharging them.  Spoke with a local DJI technician who said for the first 5 to 6 charge cycles to use this
method with light flying and hovering so that the batteries will be properly broken in and conditioned for a fuller
battery service life. Well I hope everyone out there has some nice weather to get  some quality fun flight time in.

Enjoying it,  
Kevin
2016-3-26
Use props
Rob_stal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1243038 ft
Australia

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-26 02:38
I simply answered the man's question, and added a Tips sheet. Most people appreciate the informatio ...

Hahaha, good man! nice informative post on the firmware update.

Cheers
Rob
2016-3-26
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-26 13:47
Roger, I am not sure which post you are referring.  I know the original Poster was asking about a P ...

I don't remember now I must have thought that he was referring to the P4 when I said that. If he was referring to the P3P then the process is different from the P4. That is unless DJI has updated the method to the same as the P4? The P4 is so simple and fast there is no more thoughts of going through the update process and hoping things go well.
2016-3-28
Use props
martinpamor
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-25 16:38
I simply answered the man's question, and added a Tips sheet. Most people appreciate the informatio ...

Well worth the very concise report that you have supplied to us.  I see from the forum a lot of people have had there own individual problems loading up the Firmware and App so it is not a simple solution to give lesser information for just one person when others may have a different problem.  This is the "Bible" of Reference for Firmware upgrade problems and I would like to personally thank you very much for this fantastic document.
2016-3-28
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

martinpamor Posted at 2016-3-28 07:26
Well worth the very concise report that you have supplied to us.  I see from the forum a lot of pe ...

Martin, my pleasure.  If you have anything to add please let me know  because I try to keep the "Master List " updated all the time .  

Thanks for the Kind words- donnie
2016-3-28
Use props
Killswitch
Ban Posts

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules