7366 171 2016-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
madaerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 512251 ft
United States

DroneSpeed Posted at 2016-3-25 15:41
#RANGEGATE is real. DBS mods are now saying that they are having an influx of business because their ...

I don't know if that's actually an indication or not. I almost bought a DBS mod a couple of nights ago. After reading about all these range issues it was my first exposure to their product, and if I had "extra money" (that's a tough on a week after dropping $1800), I would have done it. It's now on my wishlist, even though I don't envision ever flying much out of line of sight.
2016-3-26
Use props
frank
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36683 ft
Norway

dacofty Posted at 2016-3-27 03:04
I have seen several post over at phantompilots about the distance not being the same.  Explain tho ...

Having the antennas orientated wrong due to sport mode. Seriously, lots of people forget simpler things than this so it wouldn't surprise me if that was the whole reason of this problem. This guy is also loud and prolly on other forums as well repeating this so could just be him
2016-3-26
Use props
frank
lvl.2
Norway

grangerfx@gmail Posted at 2016-3-27 04:09
You pretty much have to be in sport mode or you will never get to 3 miles before the auto RTH kicks ...

A guy in another thread here managed 4miles in P mode without obstacle detection on. But as long as you are aware of the issue you can fly in sport mode until video drops and then change to P-mode. Might be a problem on mine only tho but I'm seeing drops on mine at long range if I use sport mode. Anyone else tried?
2016-3-26
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-27
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

pgrover516 Posted at 2016-3-27 08:33
thanks much for your reply! I do have a range extender antenna though may try that kit on my next  ...

Yes, I extended the existing antenna line with a longer one to increase the reception.  You can also put in other things as well such a booster, but that adds to the weight and drains the battery, so just extending the existing antenna line itself on the bird makes a huge improvement.  Not many people try to replace the existing birds antenna wires, but it does really help.  
http://www.helipal.com/djip3-03-antenna-4pcs.html

2016-3-27
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

I went flying on the top of a small mountain, above all trees and power lines with clear lines of sight for 6+ miles in every direction. I flew out as far as I could before I got a weak signal message on my R/C, which got me to 13,335 feet (2.52mi.) My antennas are parallel to each other, pointing out at the Phantom 4 the entire time. Just wanted to report my first test. Will continue to report as I test further.
2016-3-27
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

DroneSpeed Posted at 2016-3-25 18:01
I would like to thank Mr Xiang at "certification@dji.com" for acknowledging the #RANGEGATE issue a ...

they are sending you a new controller with the same output as the P3P? How did you get that to happen? Unfortunately, I already have the P4(and have been experiencing range issues) so the "future P4 releases" will not effect me at all. So does this mean i'm just stuck with less range while everybody who buys a P4 in the future will not be? If that's the case, that makes me upset. I invested a lot of money in the P4 and accessories and honestly am kind of feeling cheated at this moment.
2016-3-27
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-3-27 12:15
I went flying on the top of a small mountain, above all trees and power lines with clear lines of si ...

Pointing out? Do you mean the tips were pointing out at the phantom, or the tips were pointed skyward?
2016-3-27
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2016-3-27 12:19
Pointing out? Do you mean the tips were pointing out at the phantom, or the tips were pointed skyw ...

pointing out, skyward towards the direction of the phantom.
2016-3-27
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-3-27 12:20
pointing out, skyward towards the direction of the phantom.

The long flat part of the antennae are supposed to point towards the phantom. You got excellent range though!
They are know for losing signal when directly overhead because the strong part of the signal isn't hitting them.
2016-3-27
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2016-3-27 12:24
The long flat part of the antennae are supposed to point towards the phantom. You got excellent ra ...

The range on the specs for the P4 says 3.1 miles in optimal conditions (mine were the most optimal you could get). I got pretty good range, but not excellent. And what do you mean the flat part is supposed to point towards the Phantom? The antennas screw in completely parallel to each other, pointing directly up (as in the same direction up as the R/C). In order to skew the antennas in any way (twisting them outwards, as DJI has suggested in some product videos for optimal range) I have to unscrew the antennas slightly, which makes me lose some of my satellites in GPS mode. As soon as I screw them all the way back in, my satellites come back (this is not in the middle of flight. this is pre-flight). BTW, I appreciate everybody who's commented to my posts. Thank you for your support.
2016-3-27
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-3-27 12:32
The range on the specs for the P4 says 3.1 miles in optimal conditions (mine were the most optimal  ...

l mean like this picture shows, so that the antennae are parallel to each other, but are not parallel to the ground. They need to be perpendicular to the ground. We're probably saying the same thing only in different ways.
antennae.jpg
2016-3-27
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

frank@lokalhost Posted at 2016-3-27 00:34
A guy in another thread here managed 4miles in P mode without obstacle detection on. But as long a ...

I read that too. I am going to give that a try. That's a pretty cool feature. This drone continues to impress.
2016-3-27
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

CapitAn Posted at 2016-3-27 09:50
l mean like this picture shows, so that the antennae are parallel to each other, but are not parall ...

Pointing becomes pretty precise at a great distance. I found that small changes in the direction of the controller made a big difference in the strength of a signal. I would want to try mounting the controller on a tripod if I do this again. Then I would not have to manually hold it for 20 minutes and could keep it pointed precisely.
2016-3-27
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

2016-3-27
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

2016-3-27
Use props
amiskimmin
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Im not down with all that goes on here, in fact I only signed up today.
I first bought a Phantom 3 Professional 2 weeks ago.
Out of the box it wouldnt update the firmware. It could fly, but no video would be sent back to the controller.  Speaking with DJI rep and sending him some files, it was determined that even before its first flight, it needed sent in for repair.
Took it back to Apple and had it replaced for another one, this one flew with no issues at all.

Then I purchased a Phantom 4 from Apple.  Everything worked fine out of the box.  A few times while flying it though, when the P4 was in the air, it lost signal strength and it wasnt that far away from me.  In the same situation with my previous P3P - I managed to go a lot lot further before it lost signal.  Now I was flying at the same location, which was a residential area so I understand there will be interference. However, the P4 in my experience gets no where near as far away as the P3P did before losing signal.
Also, since updating my firmware on the P4 and P4 RC - It now will not send any power out from the USB on the back to an iPhone/iPad. So I will have to return this one for ANOTHER replacement.

To be honest, with my experience with DJI products (first being P3P and now P4) Im not exactly impressed - But, I could just have terribly bad luck.
2016-3-27
Use props
frank
lvl.2
Norway

amiskimmin Posted at 2016-3-27 20:12
Im not down with all that goes on here, in fact I only signed up today.
I first bought a Phantom 3 P ...

I don't think it's supposed to send out power to  your iphone. Mine doesn't.
2016-3-27
Use props
Ryanuk
lvl.1

United Kingdom

frank@lokalhost Posted at 2016-3-27 19:36
I don't think it's supposed to send out power to  your iphone. Mine doesn't.

Mine used to constantly charge my iPhone, but now it doesnt.
Also when using the Micro USB connector on the back and connect it to DJI Assistant, it doesnt recognise anything has been connected.
Ultimately, Im stuck at a screen saying HOW TO CONNECT now instead of "Camera" in the DJI Go app.
2016-3-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-3-27 09:32
The range on the specs for the P4 says 3.1 miles in optimal conditions (mine were the most optimal  ...

The proper antenna orientation will also help.
2016-3-27
Use props
DroneSpeed
Ban Posts

United States

2016-3-27
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

2016-3-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Here is a AirShou screen capture of a 5000m flight. It has been edited for time. Note that when the Phantom reaches over 5000m the RTH point is well behind the the battery's remain capacity. This required returning in Sport mode. The craft did make it back but did not catch up to the RTH point until about 500m from the HP.

2016-3-27
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

DroneSpeed Posted at 2016-3-27 19:42
I think the P4 is having range issues irrespective of the "you're holding it wrong" justification.

"Holding it wrong" only applies to Apple phones, I am sure you remember that.  LOL
2016-3-27
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

2016-3-27
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

So with the 330C controller range is less.....with 330A or 330B range is same as P3A & P3P?

So is this all about what transmistter (or controller) you might have?
2016-3-27
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

pgrover516 Posted at 2016-3-28 10:05
I feel like that video makes the point that there is a problem, the video starts glitching at close ...

That's what I was thinking
But then, I'm not a long distance flyer.    Farthest I've Ever been is 1,500 FEET
2016-3-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-3-28 10:29
So with the 330C controller range is less.....with 330A or 330B range is same as P3A & P3P?

So is t ...

I have a GL300A RC, The P4 GL300C gets the same range.
You can bind a 300A to the P4 and you will see the same range.
2016-3-27
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-28 10:48
I have a GL300A RC, The P4 GL300C gets the same range.
You can bind a 300A to the P4 and you will  ...

I had read the 300C has less wattage than the A or B
ok thanks
2016-3-27
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

pgrover516 Posted at 2016-3-27 13:04
Awesome thanks! So does swapping to these antennae improve both In/out? I'm on that for sure!  Wha ...

I will post some panel antennas that does the trick. Last range test today, had solid FPV and RC @ 6000 ft with a standard. Again since I do not yet have a P4, I am certain the dBi is one of the main issues along with the channel setting.

The defaults on the installation of the DJI Go appear slightly off.
2016-3-27
Use props
DroneSpeed
Ban Posts

United States

2016-3-28
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

2016-3-28
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

nickmedici@bell Posted at 2016-3-26 21:28
Literally got over 10,000 feet and could have gone further but wanted to get back before battery dro ...

my P3A easliy gets 15000 plus feet.
2016-3-28
Use props
billyvinson81
lvl.1

United States

DroneSpeed Posted at 2016-3-25 13:55
Another thread has popped up regarding "range sensitivity". Bighi is having those issues as well. Dr ...

i am having issues with this!
2016-3-28
Use props
billyvinson81
lvl.1

United States

ryan209 Posted at 2016-3-25 14:16
so 2 people on the internet have RF range issues Out of a company that supposedly sells 30000 birds  ...

im having hte issue as well.. had a p2, p3 and now the p4... PERFECT condition, I am an expert flier... P4 has range issues (at least mine does)
2016-3-28
Use props
billyvinson81
lvl.1

United States

DroneSpeed Posted at 2016-3-25 14:21
Just got a message from Tony at FPVLR. He says his customers are reporting that they get "noticeably ...

YEP.... had p2, p3 and now p4... P4 starts cutting out for me at 1800 feet - same area i flew p2 and p3... RC ERRORS... I even took it to an open, RURAL area... same thing....
2016-3-28
Use props
billyvinson81
lvl.1

United States

DroneSpeed Posted at 2016-3-25 15:41
#RANGEGATE is real. DBS mods are now saying that they are having an influx of business because their ...

YEP.... had p2, p3 and now p4... P4 starts cutting out for me at 1800 feet - same area i flew p2 and p3... RC ERRORS... I even took it to an open, RURAL area... same thing....
2016-3-28
Use props
billyvinson81
lvl.1

United States

Exib Posted at 2016-3-25 16:42
Listen Mr Spam I also have 2 other DJI quads and not had an issue with range stop going on about you ...

2016-3-28
Use props
kevinm058
New

United States

pgrover516 Posted at 2016-3-27 22:05
I feel like that video makes the point that there is a problem, the video starts glitching at close ...

I agree that is a really poor example. I am not a RangeGater but if anything this bolsters their point that there are issues. Especially out over the water... my P3P can the same distance but with dropovers over wifi infested areas.
2016-3-28
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

DroneSpeed Posted at 2016-3-28 08:21
I think the issue here is not range in the middle of nowhere. The issue is that the P4 underperfor ...

Drone Speed, You seem like a very smart individual , you made your point  regarding the range of the P4 not being up to task.  I currently do not own the P4 and am considering  buying one.  Thanks for the heads up. Can you please try and help other forum members  with other issues because, My sense is you know a lot about DJI systems. Do you know anything about the Inspires by any chance ? Please expand your knowledge base from just the Range Issue, I get it.

Thanks- donnie
2016-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules