Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Vortex Ring State and Settling with Power
2136 4 2015-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rmaxwell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 698661 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hi Folks,

I hold a commercial pilots license in both the U.S. and Canada for Airplanes, Floatplanes, Gliders, and Hot air balloons.  I have been a flight instructor in airplanes and gliders.  I have flown radio controlled airplanes since 1961 and R/C helicopters since 2009.  I have flown airplanes, gliders, R/C airplanes, and camera carrying multi-rotors in national commercials and feature length movies.

I have four helicopters and three multi-rotors and will take delivery of my Inspire One next week.

I have read a number of posts about the pilots on this forum stating that their quadcopter suddenly dropped out of control.  They immediately blamed DJI and the machine.  I was not there, so maybe they are right.  However, I would like to share some experience from over 3,000 hours of flying full scale and R/C aircraft.

When you are hovering there is a column of air beneath your multi rotor or helicopter that is descending.  (This is a simplified explanation.  It is more complicated that this.)  If you descend rapidly into this falling column of air you can experience an even faster rate of descent and when you add power you cannot recover.  To get out of this you much move forward, backward, or sideways.  This will get into clear air and stop the descent.  If there is a wind and the GPS is holding your position with respect to the ground, this column can be at an angle downwind.  Google these topics and you will find much more information.

My suggestions:

1.  Buy a less expensive quadcopter than the Inspire One to learn about how to manually fly one of these machines.

2.  Join a club where there are people that have a lot of experience and can teach you how to fly this machine.

3.  Don’t fly above 400 ft. with respect to the ground.

4.  Always fly with the machine in sight.

5.  Talk to someone with a full scale pilots license and learn all you can about “controlled airspace” in your area of flight.  Avoid flying in "controlled airspace".

I have told you about one “gotcha” when flying R/C quadcopters. There are many more.

Good luck,

Ray
2015-1-11
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

Good Advice!!!!
2015-1-11
Use props
mhaislet
lvl.4

United States

Here here!! I too fly with great discipline and know when you push limits things go wrong..
There are so many variables to consider when using said UAV that personally I don't chance a thing and plot each shoot and get as close as I can to the subject  I never move the drone to the subject if its more than 200 feet away .Always keeping EMF and solar activity in mind as well I fear most issue are from bad setup/calibration and fireware updating.This is a 75 percent RTF unit the other 25 percent is making sure your well schooled in this field.

Why people feel the need to fly long distance if not necessary is beyond me.

Great post ty  for posting it and safe flying to all.

2015-1-11
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

mhaislet@yahoo. Posted at 2015-1-12 08:05
Here here!! I too fly with great discipline and know when you push limits things go wrong..
There ar ...

I can't really see a need for me to fly anywhere out of sight! I'm sure there are times where it will be useful for someone but i have no need and it makes me feel better when I can see it lol. I wanna learn more about flying from one point to another as I think this can make for a smoother video shot. I did see when I was looking in my area that around the local airport it did have a big red ring around it which is good I also want to learn more about what can inter fear with reception ie weather, surroundings ect ect ect....

Mike
2015-1-11
Use props
s.s.gibbs1
lvl.2

United States

there have been quite a few discussions about v.r.s. on the inspire pilot forum and i don't think any of the crashes have been v.r.s.
when v.r.s. happens typically there is some instability as a warning..none of the crashes reported that and at least one was on a return to home so that is a controlled speed.
  good advice you shared, we all need to keep that in mind.
2015-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules