What pad to choose?
1364 16 2016-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
frank
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36683 ft
Norway

I have an old iPad that I never use and now I'm just flying with a iPhone 6S Plus but I feel that it's not big enough when using it as a screen on the Phantom 4. I'm tempted on getting a bigger screen but what do I choose? Sony had a pretty neat pad that was waterproof is that something that works just as good as the new ipads?
2016-3-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Please refer to the @DJI list of tested and approved devices, for one that will work.
I'm using an iPad Air 2 64gb Cellular, and couldn't be happier. It's a workhorse, and completely trouble free.
It probably helps to have a blemish and error free drone as well, and my Phantom 3 Pro' fits that bill. ;-)

For a quality drone, and best piloting experience, buy a decent device to run the power hungry Go app.

RedHotPoker

2016-3-27
Use props
QuadBart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256506 ft
  • >>>
United States

As stated above there is a list of compatible devices.   I was in the same boat using my Iphone.  I recently received an Ipad Mni as a present.  While it worked, I want all the features to work for my P3A.   I wound up buying a NIB close-out Ipad Air with cellular for 300 bucks.  Works great.  Nice and big screen...
2016-3-27
Use props
frank
lvl.2
Norway

Ok. Is it basically the iPad that works and just to forget about the others? I see a lot of people using the air also but the size of that isn't much bigger than the iPhone 6 is it?
2016-3-27
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l have the ipad mini2, wifi only,  and while it's fairly small it works flawlessly with the app. It seems large to me because l flew my P2 on an iphone 5.
l've had zero lag or issues with the mini2. l got it for $279 CDN (which is like $10 US, lol). You would need cellular if you want to use the follow-me feature. l don't know what other features on the P4 require, l have a P3P.
2016-3-27
Use props
samdelong90
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4578816 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the IPad Air 2 64gb and love it. It just barely fits in the holder but works flawlessly. Adobe has Lightroom for IOS so you can import photos and do it all on the go!
2016-3-27
Use props
salvosky
lvl.1
Flight distance : 120253 ft
United States

I got the iPad Air 2, love it.
2016-3-27
Use props
kpeecee
New

United Kingdom

CapitAn Posted at 2016-3-27 14:41
l have the ipad mini2, wifi only,  and while it's fairly small it works flawlessly with the app. It  ...

so how does that work, do you pair the ipad with your phone or what.
at the minute, i am using my iphone but its too small. So if i only get the wifi
ipad mini you wont be able to use all the features of the phantom 4, is that right.
2016-3-27
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

kpeecee Posted at 2016-3-27 11:42
so how does that work, do you pair the ipad with your phone or what.
at the minute, i am using my  ...

That's right. l have a P3 on original FW so l don't have any of the features anyway. l would need cellular if l were to "upgrade" FW and wanted to use any of the features.
2016-3-27
Use props
kpeecee
New

United Kingdom

CapitAn Posted at 2016-3-27 16:48
That's right. l have a P3 on original FW so l don't have any of the features anyway. l would need  ...

The thing is, i bought the phantom 4 literally yesterday and i live in the uk and its a fact
i wont be flying it anytime soon because of the weather. I have a iphone 5c which apparently isnt compatible, the 5s is. But ive downloaded the DJI Go app purely for testing and seeing the camera view, etc.The good thing about using my phone, i have a very good cheap contract through Virgin that gives me unlimited
data. So if i buy the ipad mini 2 with cellular and pair it with my iphone, obviously keeping my iphone
in my pocket, will that work and can it do that and therefore i get all the benefits of phantom 4 plus it
wont cost me anymore for the data. I hope you see what i mean because i am confused. hahaha and thanks for replying.
2016-3-27
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Tethering to your phone? l've never done it but others have. Maybe someone doing it with the P4 will drop by this thread.
2016-3-27
Use props
frank
lvl.2
Norway

Isn't the reason for going with cellular pad that you get GPS on those pads and then you can use the portable Rth function?
2016-3-27
Use props
Chicago Air Dro
lvl.2

Does the P4 have the same  shaky bracket on the controller as the P3
because if it does you need to get that stability bracket from FAA Drone Decals. com
Before your Ipad ends up on the ground like that one guys did.

look up ...I can't believe this just happen...to see the results
2016-3-27
Use props
kpeecee
New

United Kingdom

CapitAn Posted at 2016-3-27 17:46
Tethering to your phone? l've never done it but others have. Maybe someone doing it with the P4 will ...

Ok, thanks for your help.
2016-3-27
Use props
frank
lvl.2
Norway

Chicago Air Dro Posted at 2016-3-27 19:27
Does the P4 have the same  shaky bracket on the controller as the P3
because if it does you need to ...

I'm not sure since I don't have a P3 but it holds my phone pretty good.
2016-3-27
Use props
jneubert
New
Flight distance : 61690 ft
United States

I am using a Galaxy Tab S2, which is an Android version of an iPad Air 2, and it works GREAT. Wow, I love flying on the larger screen, and for data I just turn on WiFi hotspot on my phone, and it works like a charm.
2016-3-27
Use props
leorvasquez
lvl.2

I bought an iPad mini 3 with 128GB on sale from Best Buy for $299. It works just fine with my Phantom 3 Advanced.

2016-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules