NTSC - PAL (Anti flicker settings)
4769 3 2016-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spud
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi guys
So I'm in England, but I want to use the NTSC setting on my Osmo (and GoPro & Nikon DSLR) to make use of the 30fps/60fps as opposed to the lower 24fps for PAL.
How do I adjust the Anti Flicker setting to go with the NTSC setting, is it like this:-

NTSC - Filming near light bulbs - in England I would choose 50hz Anti Flicker.
NTSC - Filming near light bulbs - in USA I would choose 60hz Anti Flicker.

...And in India, I've no idea but I'm there in two weeks!

2016-3-28
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Definitely use NTSC to get 30fps footage, noticeably smoother than 25fps.
Set anti flicker to 50Hz for UK. Same for India.

But... Anti flicker is only a software thing.
For best anti flicker results I prefer to match the frame rate to electricity frequency when shooting with electric lighting.
Best to shoot at 1/50 sec and footage will be flicker free. Same in UK and India.
2016-3-28
Use props
Spud
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi rj74
What if I want to shoot everything at 60fps. Would I still be okay choosing 50hz whilst doubling my shutter speed to 1/120 whilst filming under electric lighting in England/UK?
60fps because I think I might need some slow motion shots later.
2016-3-28
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Spud Posted at 2016-3-28 17:05
Hi rj74
What if I want to shoot everything at 60fps. Would I still be okay choosing 50hz whilst doub ...

the Anti flicker works pretty well in most situations. Yes, you would set anti flicker to 50Hz for any frame rate or shutter speed.
Normally you would get flicker at 1/120 on 50Hz lights. With the Osmo anti-flicker it removes most of it, but some slight flicker is still detectable in some situations.
Bigger question is whether the Osmo is good enough in low light to shoot at night. The image noise will be more of a problem than any flicker, and likely you would want to lower the shutter speed right down to drop the ISO to useable levels i.e. 800 or below.
Best to just run some test shots because there's so many different types of lighting these days and they all flicker differently e.g. energy savers, LEDs, fluorescents, tungstens etc.

If you do get some flicker, this plugin is excellent. I had some really flickery A7Sii slow motion city night shots and this plug in made them perfect - highly recommend.
http://digitalanarchy.com/Flicker/main.html
2016-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules